Security lines at the airport

holty

I haven't flown out of Florida since the sequestration started, but we've seen a substantial increase in the time to get through security here in Salt Lake.

The TSA has been understaffed, so they rely heavily on overtime, which has been completely cut. The processing time for security here has pretty much doubled. It been a real issue for those traveling during peak travel times...

Flew out of Miami to Toronto on Sunday March 17 on AA (direct flight). I arrived at the airport at 7:45am for my 10:30am flight (they suggested 3hrs for International flights).

Took 45 mins to check in at AA counters...then another 45 mins to go through security!

Well that's pretty normal for Miami! :rolleyes:

TSA should be self-funded with the airline ticket tax. There should be absolutely no reduction in service.

Like I said, SHOULD BE.

That's the whole problem with the sequester, it cuts everything, no matter how it's funded, or if it pays for itself, or actually saves money. Everything gets cut the same.

Haven't flown since sequester but saw an article in the paper that said the federal court was going to access [through a similar security screening] to one entrance for certain hours because of sequester cuts.

With the recent sequester in reducing the number of government employees, I'm curious if people are seeing security lines at the airports increase at all?

I flew from LAX to Las Vegas last Tuesday on Southwest at about 7:30 p.m. Absolutely no line to get past the TSA screener, maybe 5 minutes to go through the machines.

Sunday morning from Las Vegas to LAX, 500-600 people in line, 37 minutes total to go through security, and not all lines were open.

There shouldn't be any noticeable change yet. I work for the government and we were told that te notifications were pushed back until 05 April. We could expect furloughing to start 30 days later. So if the TSA is similarly structured, it wouldn't be until early May that staffing would be reduced. :eek:

For now we will standby to standby.:cool:

There shouldn't be any noticeable change yet. I work for the government and we were told that te notifications were pushed back until 05 April. We could expect furloughing to start 30 days later. So if the TSA is similarly structured, it wouldn't be until early May that staffing would be reduced. :eek:

For now we will standby to standby.:cool:

Furloughs haven't started yet, but overtime has been cancelled so delays are possible.

My DH flew out of BOS on Wednesday morning and said the TSA line at terminal C was the biggest he has ever seen. He, luckily, has access to the preferred line and made it through very quickly. Had he been in the regular line he would have missed his flight. He had an "issue" with his alarm clock and didn't wake up until 4:15 for a 6am flight:eek:

Right before the sequester I had a 9:50 flight out of Atlanta on a Saturday morning. I was in line at security by 7:45 am and ended up missing my flight! TSA agents said it was the longest line they had seen in a long time, the line for security actually started at the front doors of the airport.

In the ten years I have flown out of Atlanta, I have NEVER seen the security checkpoint line backed up that far.

That's the whole problem with the sequester, it cuts everything, no matter how it's funded, or if it pays for itself, or actually saves money. Everything gets cut the same.

It doesn't cut most entitlement programs.

Right before the sequester I had a 9:50 flight out of Atlanta on a Saturday morning. I was in line at security by 7:45 am and ended up missing my flight! TSA agents said it was the longest line they had seen in a long time, the line for security actually started at the front doors of the airport.

In the ten years I have flown out of Atlanta, I have NEVER seen the security checkpoint line backed up that far.

This is why I love Global Entry with TSA-PreCheck. No delays, no removing shows, no taking a computer out of my bag. Love Love Love it.

May need to seriously look into that. Thank you!

Just realize it is not available at all airports or even at all terminals at an airport (only available at terminal A at Logan for example). My DH only recently got it since Logan now has it and he occasionally goes out of terminal A.

Just check the map that is on the website that shows where it is available before you bother to enroll.

Just realize it is not available at all airports or even at all terminals at an airport (only available at terminal A at Logan for example). My DH only recently got it since Logan now has it and he occasionally goes out of terminal A.

Just check the map that is on the website that shows where it is available before you bother to enroll.

It is at Hartsfield Jackson, and that is truly the only airport I have security delays with. Not to be so cruel, but I really hate the Atlanta airport...worst design, etc. I lived in Orlando for 10 years and loved the easy layout. Heck, even LaGuardia (the airport I mainly travel to) is so much easier to navigate.

Archived