Hank, are you there? Question about Praiano

CathyCruises

I saw in another thread that you like to stay there. I am considering a few days post TA somewhere along the Amalfi Coast, and I have seen a lot of Holiday Lettings vrbo-type listings in Praiano. Just wondering if you could recommend a place, and if you absolutely need a car?

I guess we could rent a car in Civitavecchia and head down there; we planned to go to Rome for four days but maybe it would be better to do that on the back end before flying out.

All of this is just speculative right now--doing my homework! I hate to go all that way and not capitalize on it. I would also like to see Paestum if we could.

Any help appreciated! Thanks, Cathy

Yep, am still here :). We have never rented in Praiano having spent our two extended visits in 2 different hotels. The primary reason we chose that village was its central location on the Amalfi Drive, its proximity to Positano, and the fact that we could get reasonably priced hotels with free parking. We would not recommend staying in or near Praiano unless you have a rental car. As to VRBO listings, one must be very careful about location. Although Praiano lies right along the Amalfi Drive, many houses and apartments in the area are actually located above the village in some areas that are only accessed by very steep narrow roads or lots of steps. DW just reminded me of a couple we met at a local restaurant that had one of those places and they told us they had to climb over 300 steps to get to their flat. If you do stay in that area without a rental car you will need to depend on the local orange buses and the SITA bus. The Orange bus does run to and from Positano and the SITA buses are on the route that runs between Amalfi and Sorrento. But the buses do not run as often as one would like...so using buses does mean some planning. Personally, we love the convenience of having a car (although we sometimes take the bus to Positano to avoid the parking hassles) but one should make sure that any where you stay has parking.

Hank

Yep, am still here :). We have never rented in Praiano having spent our two extended visits in 2 different hotels. The primary reason we chose that village was its central location on the Amalfi Drive, its proximity to Positano, and the fact that we could get reasonably priced hotels with free parking. We would not recommend staying in or near Praiano unless you have a rental car. As to VRBO listings, one must be very careful about location. Although Praiano lies right along the Amalfi Drive, many houses and apartments in the area are actually located above the village in some areas that are only accessed by very steep narrow roads or lots of steps. DW just reminded me of a couple we met at a local restaurant that had one of those places and they told us they had to climb over 300 steps to get to their flat. If you do stay in that area without a rental car you will need to depend on the local orange buses and the SITA bus. The Orange bus does run to and from Positano and the SITA buses are on the route that runs between Amalfi and Sorrento. But the buses do not run as often as one would like...so using buses does mean some planning. Personally, we love the convenience of having a car (although we sometimes take the bus to Positano to avoid the parking hassles) but one should make sure that any where you stay has parking.

Hank

Yes, I noticed that each listing had the number of stairs to climb--we'll definitely be on the lookout for that! I agree that a car is the way to go; it's no problem, we've driven in Italy a lot, I was just curious. What hotels do you like there--I'll check them out? I was only looking at the rentals because they popped up in an email and it got me to thinking.

Also considering getting ourselves to France and renting a car there to get back to some favorite spots in Normandy and Brittany. We SHOULD do the prudent thing and just come straight home from Rome, but it's so tempting to be so close!!! So much to think about--and we leave in 2 1/2 weeks!!!

Two summers ago we rented in Praiano and used only public transportation which we found to be very convenient. We took the train to Salerno and then the ferry to Amalfi and then the bus to Praiano. We did travel fairly light which would make a huge difference. We stayed in a property right on the main drag which had wonderful views. Really liked the small town--could walk for our morning coffee and croisant and walk to dinner each night at nearby restaurants. Each day we did a different town--Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Capri etc. Loved it!

Two summers ago we rented in Praiano and used only public transportation which we found to be very convenient. We took the train to Salerno and then the ferry to Amalfi and then the bus to Praiano. We did travel fairly light which would make a huge difference. We stayed in a property right on the main drag which had wonderful views. Really liked the small town--could walk for our morning coffee and croisant and walk to dinner each night at nearby restaurants. Each day we did a different town--Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Capri etc. Loved it!

Oooh, that sounds nice too. Do you remember the name of the place you stayed?

Back in 2008 we stayed at the Casa Candice. It is right in Praiano on the main street so the only stairs are the 30 or so up to your rooms. A car is really needed if you want to do the area justice although we did use the public transport on a couple of occasions and found it to be great and inexpensive. (Driving on the Amalfi coast is a real experience!!) Casa Candice provides off road parking, an essential. Entry to Casa Candice was not great then but they were renovating. Apartment was wonderful. Two bedrooms and big lounge - kitchen area. Washer provided. Best part is the balcony which overlooks the bay and you can see Capri in the distance on a clear day. The evenings are unreal. Plenty of good eating all around. Highly recommend. Just Google Casa Candice.

Yes, I noticed that each listing had the number of stairs to climb--we'll definitely be on the lookout for that! I agree that a car is the way to go; it's no problem, we've driven in Italy a lot, I was just curious. What hotels do you like there--I'll check them out? I was only looking at the rentals because they popped up in an email and it got me to thinking.

Also considering getting ourselves to France and renting a car there to get back to some favorite spots in Normandy and Brittany. We SHOULD do the prudent thing and just come straight home from Rome, but it's so tempting to be so close!!! So much to think about--and we leave in 2 1/2 weeks!!!

Our favorite would be the Onda Verde which is located on the water side of the Amalfi Drive. The hotel is built right on the side of the cliff with the small parking lot being at the top right off the road. This hotel also has a restaurant that is pretty good. Not in the class of the top restaurants at Positano, but it costs less and is convenient if you are staying at the hotel.

The other place we liked, although not quite as unique as the Onde Verde, is a hotel right along the Amalfi Drive called the Hotel Le Fioriere. This place is across the road from the cliff/water side so the views are not as spectacular.

A rental actually sounds like fun...but we would not want too many steps :)

Hank

We loved Prianano!! We spent 8 nights at Hotel Margahrita http://www.hotelmargherita.info

the hosts were truly amazing, by the end of our trip we felt like family. We would defintely stay there again. We did not have a car, we relied on the buses which were easy and fun. It was easy to get to Positano, Sorento, Pompeii, Amalfi, Ravello, Paestum,... it is a great base.

Not so sure we agree with the ease of using buses primarily because the buses just do not seem to run often enough. But we should have mentioned a fun day excursion. If you are staying in Praiano and would like to go to Capri for the day....you can have your hotel arrange for a boat to pick you up at Praiano in the morning. That small boat that take you along the coast over to Positano where you connect with the morning jet boat that goes all the way to Capri. You then reverse the process in the afternoon (this is a full day trip) where you can either have them bring you back to Praiano...or perhaps you would just want to stay in Positano for dinner and take a later Orange bus back to Praiano.

I should add that we would prefer to stay in Positano....but Praiano is less costly and works well with a car. Without a car we would probably look hard for a reasonably priced place right in Positano. Another neat place to stay is in Ravello (they have some excellent small hotels and B&Bs) although this town is not as centrally located as most other places.

Hank

Thanks, Hank. I would love to work in a Capri day if the weather cooperates. I have been looking at all kinds of places and price ranges. I found one hotel that looked beautiful and was very reasonable, then read the small print which said it was 500 steps up from the road--hmmm, I don't think so! Unfortunately, Le Fioriere and Casa Candice are both booked during our times.

Still pondering my options--our TA leaves in three weeks so I better think fast!! I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions!

Last weekend as we were hiking down from Ravello to Amalfi we passed several rental houses and B&B's and we could not figure who was renting them, giving the stunning number of steps to reach them. I kept thinking that maybe there was road access on the other side of the property, but there wasn't. There's a case where neglecting to read the fine print could literally be painful!

Last weekend as we were hiking down from Ravello to Amalfi we passed several rental houses and B&B's and we could not figure who was renting them, giving the stunning number of steps to reach them. I kept thinking that maybe there was road access on the other side of the property, but there wasn't. There's a case where neglecting to read the fine print could literally be painful!

Exactly!! I remember when we did our CC tour of the coast and the guide pointing out all the steps--I am NOT good with steps, can walk forever on flat ground but up and down--forget it!!! Not disabled, just not in good shape! I've been giving the treadmill a good workout but it is never going to be my forte.

When we rented our apt in Paris, it was on the 4th (actually 5th) floor and I hated that!!! It probably helped work off all the croissants though!

Sorry to digress.

Hank after you for another query please.

I am referencing your info re the back gate at Civitavecchia port some time back. I looked on Google Earth and wonder if it is a large imposing sort of gate in white marble with some circular steps . It appears to be adjacent to an apartment block and also has some ochre coloured arches in a wall nearby?? It appears to be an access and close to Via XV1 Settembre, where Avis is located.

If it is the gate to which you refer do you have any clues on how to ask driver to go there?

Many thanks

Nevian, We did answer your post in the other thread (where you posted the same question) but I have to say that we also love Google Earth (a great way to measure distances). I think you did spot that back gate but I still wonder if any of the bus drivers will take people to that back gate...and even wonder if its still open these days. Security at most of the ports has improved in recent years....but Civitavecchia is still one of the most open passenger-friendly ports in Italy.

Hank

Archived