New to iPhone -help, please

Cruizinggirl

This is all helpful, useful information. Since I've only had my iPhone for 6 months, I'm still trying to figure everything out. Previously had a dumb phone.

Now, my question is: how do you manually set the time? In order to use the phone as an alarm, it would be helpful for it to know the correct time. :D I tried this in Canada when we were going between time zones and since I had data off, the phone never knew the correct time. I'm starting out on a TA going eastbound, there will be lots of time changes to deal with.

I do plan to get the international data & calling plan since the last time I was in Europe with a dumb phone it was a PAIN not to be able to make phone calls.

Thanks to all the experts who are providing such great advice!

Question....My work has set me up with an International plan for my upcoming trip on the Reflection. The I-phone also has unlimited data, talk, etc.. I was told that if the phone gets a signal I can use it for anything I wanted. I'm not planning on doing any work, but just want it to stay in touch with my daughter. My work is paying so I'm not going to worry about it, but did wander if extra charges would apply due to it being on the boat even with the International plan and unlimited everything.

Thanks!

I suspect that the international plan your work set you up with is for calling. International data is probably not part of that, so yes, you could incur hundreds if not thousands of dollars of data roaming charges if you don't turn off data roaming.

Now, my question is: how do you manually set the time? In order to use the phone as an alarm, it would be helpful for it to know the correct time.

I don't think you can set the time manually. But you can adjust the time you set the alarm for to make up for any differences.

I don't think you can set the time manually. But you can adjust the time you set the alarm for to make up for any differences.

Yes you can. Got to Settings, General, Date & Time, and turn "Set Automatically" to Off. A new option will then appear called "Set Date & Time."

Yes you can. Got to Settings, General, Date & Time, and turn "Set Automatically" to Off. A new option will then appear called "Set Date & Time."

Yeah--thanks so much! So glad there are people here who know how to work all these gizmos. :D I tried the other method of calculating what time it really was as opposed to what time the phone thought it was and then setting the alarm accordingly, but it mostly gave me a headache! This will be great for the TA and all the time changes. Thanks again!

I just upgraded from a 'stupid' phone (Razr) to an iPhone! I'm sailing Sunday, and I have questions. (i've been on hold with AT&T for 15 minutes and counting. . .)

Can anyone help with my questions?

Do I set it on airplane mode or entirely turn it off while cruising?

Can I use it anywhere in the Western Caribbean without outrageous charges?

What about texting? FaceTime?

Any other advice?

Thank you in advance!

My 4 cents

1. The default on your iPhone is to turn data reception off when your phone is roaming.

2. If you want to use your phone when abroad, you have to activate the free "international roaming.". We also add the $5 per month international roaming feature for cheaper calls abroad (if you need to actually make or receive a call)

3. Foreign data plans are much cheaper than used to be if you need to access the Internet. As an example, on a stop in Rome we wanted to go to a restaurant that was hard to find. We popped on the data feed and used Google maps for direction,

4. The ATT website is very good and easy to set the changes on your plan,

5. You need to find a good wi-fi hot spot for FaceTime. We have face timed with our family from plazas in Kosovo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Don't you just hate it when your smart phone is smarter than you? :D

Yes...and I think "Siri" is secretly laughing at me sometimes...she is so much smarter than me !!

I've had an iPhone for years now...and still learning things about it !!:D:confused:

Woody

Archived