Home!

ILoveScotland

I arrived home Wednesday after what is one of the best holidays of my life. No wonder many of you go as often as you can. I'm ready to go again. Thank you for all your ideas which helped immensely. You all know the itinerary, so I'll only hit some highlights.

Hurtigruten Excursions:

Dog sledding while in port of Tromso was outstanding and thrilling.

North Cape was stunningly beautiful as was the drive there.

Concert in Arctic Cathedral was very moving.

Excursions including in Vantage tour package:

Bus tour of Trondheim good including all too brief visit to Nidaros Cathedral.

Tour to Snow Hotel and Russian border was very good, too. I walked about 10 ft. past the gate, and the friend I was traveling with took my picture.

Clothing

I overpacked but not much. Mainly I didn't need the "hiking" boots as an the snow boots worked well everywhere, and I took more jeans than I needed, especially since I could wash clothes onboard.

Polarlys has no hot tubs so did not need bathing suit.

Other

Never used the hot pot I took which means didn't make any hot cider or hot chocolate.

I took 1 pint of gin, 4 6 oz. cans of tonic, 4 small bottles of wine and 3 mini bottles of kahlua with me and drank it all. I discovered that by using my travel mug I could get away with taking my drinks up to the Panorama Lounge, and no one even noticed.

I didn't buy the coffee/tea package as I only drink coffee in the morning. I did buy one cup of coffee somewhere along the way.

Best buys

Yaktrax. I wore them every time I left the ship and was thankful to have them. One woman in our tour group fell on the ice in Vardo and had to be taken back to Kirkenes (a 4 hour drive) by ambulance. She's broken her arm. Her friend went with her, and they flew to Tromso where they rejoined us.

Buff. I especially needed it dog sledding and at the North Cape.

"Disposable" hand warmers. They worked well tucked under the buff next to my face, too!

The ship, crew and food.

My friend and I were pleasantly surprised at the size of our cabin but were thankful our big suitcases could be stored elsewhere on the ship.

I have never experienced such a great crew. They were all helpful and friendly.

Internet worked pretty well, and I was pleasantly surprised that it was free. I was glad to have my Samsung Galaxy so I didn't have to wait for a computer to get online.

I enjoyed the variety of food and even tried the cod tongue which I thought was tasty. The only disappointment was the seafood buffet, and I can't really say why. I just found the fish unappetizing that night.

Shopping

I'm not really a bit shopper so didn't buy anything except a piece of pottery and a box - both of which I collect - for me and earrings for my daughter. That is until we returned to Bergen when I found a solid cream colored short woolen jacket marked down from 1398 NOK to 395 NOK. I will give it to my daughter when she graduates from college in May at the age of 44!

Being part of a tour group

I wouldn't do it again, but it was good to be one of 40 (all from US) with a tour manager who had sessions on all things (well, many things) Scandinavian as well as being available to answer questions throughout the journey and to facilitate boarding and disembarking.

Also, I was thankful to know how expensive everything would be. I think some of my tour-mates were a bit surprised.

Well, more than I meant to write, but I'm still so full of myself for having been on this journey - oh, and I totally forgot to say we did see the Northern Lights twice with one night being quite spectacular.

This was a great review! My husband and I will be travelling with Vantage on the Nordkapp at the end of April. I was wondering if we will need snowboots or Yaktrax on our trip. Being from Florida, cold weather stuff is totally foreign to us. I was planning to wear jeans and tshirts the whole time. Is that acceptable?

Any helpful hints are appreciated.

This was a great review! My husband and I will be travelling with Vantage on the Nordkapp at the end of April. I was wondering if we will need snowboots or Yaktrax on our trip. Being from Florida, cold weather stuff is totally foreign to us. I was planning to wear jeans and tshirts the whole time. Is that acceptable?

My first trip with Hurtigruten was at the end of April 2006. It was spring time in Bergen, but still winter in the North. We had great weather with around 10/15°C (50/60F) most of the time but a lot colder in Kirkenes (around 5°C / 40F). Kirkenes and North Cape were the only place where we had to walk on snow. So I don't think you will need snowboots but maybe waterproof hiking shoes would be good. However weather varies from year to year, last year there were snow showers until May!

Jeans will be OK but tshirt only will be way to cold. I would advise to bring layers and use them or not according to daily weather. Plan for wind (the speed of the boat itself brings a feeling of wind), for rain and for sunshine, and for any temperature between 30 and 60F. So 1 or 2 long-sleeve layers and a windproof/waterproof jacket are necessary, I think. And sunglasses :p .

For me it's a great period for a first experience of this trip, you have long days to enjoy the scenery, different seasons along the way, snow on the mountains for beautiful landscape...

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean I would not be wearing sweater or jacket, but was just planning on being casual with tshirts--nothing dressy on this trip. All of your comments have been very helpful. My husband and I are really looking forward to this trip!

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean I would not be wearing sweater or jacket, but was just planning on being casual with tshirts--nothing dressy on this trip.

Oh, sorry! :p That makes sense. Yes, casual is fine.

The last time we took the coastal trip it was February and, while we didn't have any snow fall during the trip, we were caught out in some extremely heavy rain while ashore in Bodo. The waterproof coats we were wearing just about kept our top halves dry but, like many others who went ashore, our trousers and footwear were waterlogged. If you have a choice between a long waterproof coat and a short one, take the long one!

Other than that, 'layers and reasonably grippy footwear' is the answer.

Archived