Southampton Sailings - first or second sitting?

AnnieC

Thinking ahead to 2014 when we won't be able to specify dining time on a Getaway booking, which sitting do you prefer on sailings from Southampton? Plus, if you've been wait-listed for a sitting, which one?

Cheers,

Annie:)

Thinking ahead to 2014 when we won't be able to specify dining time on a Getaway booking, which sitting do you prefer on sailings from Southampton? Plus, if you've been wait-listed for a sitting, which one?

Cheers,

Annie:)

You will find that opinions are split almost 50/50 between first and second sitting. I always prefer second but that does limit the amount of time after dinner but gives plenty before. A chacun son gout!

I used to have early dinner on cruiseships all the time -- but have recently discovered some benefits to having a late dinner.

BUT - many cruiselines put on an early show for late diners however Cunard have a late, late show for late diners , which on a port intensive cruise is a "killer".

Something to consider

Barry

A 10:30 or 10:45 showtime is hardly what most would call "late, late"

I consider it a strong recommendation that on Cunard ships those who prefer second dinner seating will not emerge to find the sidewalks had been rolled up the moment the scheduled post-first seating activity ended.

A 10:30 or 10:45 showtime is hardly what most would call "late, late"

I consider it a strong recommendation that on Cunard ships those who prefer second dinner seating will not emerge to find the sidewalks had been rolled up the moment the scheduled post-first seating activity ended.

When we cruise, we ALWAYS make sure we are up on deck when we sail into a Port. So, when many port entries are around 6AM or earlier, a show at 10.45 IS "late,late" -- especially when there are many ports one after another. Some Ports are even entered before Dawn, I well remember a December entry to Southampton water at 4AM - pitch black and about 1C, but we wouldn't miss it for the World. That is the main reason we cruise, to see the World. We will sleep for long enough when we are dead!

A short 7 day TA is another matter :D

Barry

That is the main reason we cruise, to see the World. We will sleep for long enough when we are dead!

Barry

I couldn't agree more. I always become an early riser when I travel no matter how late I was up the evening before. This past summer I was on a brief land trip with a friend who views vacations as a time to sleep in and kick back, no matter the effort and expense undertaken to be in a different part of the world. Many unpleasant words exchanged.

On my Celebrity South America cruise last year, the one night out of fourteen the shows were 9:00/11:00 rather than 7:00/9:00 (the evening they had the Captain's cocktail party before dinner) was the evening before I and nearly half the ship had 7 AM tours booked in the morning. It wasn't the lack of sleep but the lack of logic I found so infuriating--why have a late show this night but not, say, the night between two sea days?

Anyway, the choice of dinner seating is an individual matter with any number of deciding factors. I am again happy to point out that Cunard does not limit one's after dinner options if one chooses to dine later. Though with 22 days on QM2 coming up in May I am sure I will have a couple early nights irrespective of that evening's entertainment. (Though it will be no coincidence if on one of those nights, Adrian Walsh happens to be performing ;))

If you choose the late dinner sitting there is time for a late afternoon/early evening nap which easily compensates for any short night's sleep. :p

Not if you are in a Port for that day! :rolleyes:

Barry

I couldn't agree more. I always become an early riser when I travel no matter how late I was up the evening before. This past summer I was on a brief land trip with a friend who views vacations as a time to sleep in and kick back, no matter the effort and expense undertaken to be in a different part of the world. Many unpleasant words exchanged.

On my Celebrity South America cruise last year, the one night out of fourteen the shows were 9:00/11:00 rather than 7:00/9:00 (the evening they had the Captain's cocktail party before dinner) was the evening before I and nearly half the ship had 7 AM tours booked in the morning. It wasn't the lack of sleep but the lack of logic I found so infuriating--why have a late show this night but not, say, the night between two sea days?

Anyway, the choice of dinner seating is an individual matter with any number of deciding factors. I am again happy to point out that Cunard does not limit one's after dinner options if one chooses to dine later. Though with 22 days on QM2 coming up in May I am sure I will have a couple early nights irrespective of that evening's entertainment. (Though it will be no coincidence if on one of those nights, Adrian Walsh happens to be performing ;))

We found the "late" Cunard shows to be a killer when we did the "3 Queens Cruise" - 32 days in the Baltic, Med and across the Channel - I think there were 19 ports. :o Although we generally eat early at home, I find the late dinners to be better - as , after a nice lunch either onboard or ashore, I am not really hungry at 6PM :D We did do a 28 day South Pacific cruise to Tahiti and other SP islands (14 ports in 28 days) and found that going to a show at 6.45, followed by dinner at 8.30 worked for us. Meet friends at 6, a couple of drinks , off to the show and then discuss the show around the dinner table - followed by a stroll along the Promenade deck before bed:)

Barry

Archived