Dawn? 6 people- SJ or 2 connecting rooms?

BubMunkeyBles

Which would you get. We have 6 people (Me, DH, my mom, sister and a 3 and 4 year old at the time of sailing).

We're looking at booking an SJ or getting two connecting oceanviews.

The two connecting oceanviews is about $600 cheaper, would give us a place to put the kids to bed and still have another room to live in and two bathrooms.

The suite... well we'd get all the suite ammenities. :)

Which would you opt for?

There is definitely a lot to consider.

Can hubby handle all that estrogen in one room for the length of the cruise? Do you all get along well and can everyone handle reasonably close quarters? Will all of you be able to comfortably share the bathroom?

If so, book the SJ. You can put the kids on the sofabed and wrap all the curtains around it. They will love their own little hideaway! Meanwhile, you'll enjoy all the suite perks, and you'll also have some help with the kids so you and DH can spend some date-night time while onboard.

If not, book two adjoining staterooms. The suite perks are nice, but if anyone will be uncomfortable with the tight quarters, the perks are not worth making anyone miserable.

I'd probably do two cabins. How much for a SJ and an inside across the hall?

I agree. The SJ would be ok for 6 to hang out, but it would be better to have a few beds and an extra bath across the hall. You'd lose the suite perks for 2, but it would make the sleeping arrangements more comfortable.

I agree. The SJ would be ok for 6 to hang out, but it would be better to have a few beds and an extra bath across the hall. You'd lose the suite perks for 2, but it would make the sleeping arrangements more comfortable.

Yeah. We wouldn't spend the extra money I don't think. It's either the SJ or the two connecting outside. That's why we have the dilema. :)

Yeah. We wouldn't spend the extra money I don't think. It's either the SJ or the two connecting outside. That's why we have the dilema. :)

if im not mistaken there is a kids cruise free promo going on right now if that makes a difference for your finances. but 2 bathrooms and more private elbow room for all of you would be worth getting two cabins too me. have a great time.

Having been in the situation you are in I can say do the 2 adjoining balcony suites for sure. The SJ is amazing - we stayed one - my DH and I and our 3 boys...but I would not have wanted another adult in the room....absolutely no privacy....as you said - you need somewhere to sit and talk after the kids have gone to bed...they rope the sleepin areas off in the SJ quite nicely at night - but the rest of the time you wouldn't want it roped off or you would lose the amazing floor to ceiling wall to wall view. So nowhere to change except the 1 bathroom....2 adjoining cabins is great too! andyou get the balcony which you don't get with the SJ

Another vote for connecting ocean view cabins. We love the size of the SJ's, but there are just two of us. The murphy bed is really the size of a single so the two little ones could sleep there, but as others have said, no real privacy. Then 2 adults would have to sleep on the sofa sleeper which looked very uncomfortable.

The SJ bathroom and closet area are huge and luxurious compared to an ocean view, but the way it is configured only 1 adult can use the bathroom and closet area at a time. 4 adults would have to go in shifts. Two regular cabin bathrooms would be easier to deal with although there is no bathtub for the little ones.

Also, with the SJ and 4 adults, 2 kids you would have the additional cost of tips for the butler and concierge of at least $350 - $450

then I'd go with connecting cabins. The suite perks are nice, but two bathrooms and privacy are more important in my opinion. And you'll have some spending money.

Take the suite. With two little ones, and four adults you will have plenty of room. The suite divides up very nicely at night, actually making three bedrooms. The bathroom is like having two bathrooms, it is so big. Separate shower and tub, double sinks. You even have a private changing area.

With the suite perks you will be pampered like you never have been. Go with the suite, you won't be sorry.

Take the suite. With two little ones, and four adults you will have plenty of room. The suite divides up very nicely at night, actually making three bedrooms. The bathroom is like having two bathrooms, it is so big. Separate shower and tub, double sinks. You even have a private changing area.

With the suite perks you will be pampered like you never have been. Go with the suite, you won't be sorry.

I have to totally disagree with lovemybutler

The suite will look horrible with all the orange curtains closed at night.

Only one person can use the bathroom at a time.

Imagine waiting for 6 people to use the bathroom? :eek:

They would NEVER get to breakfast on time, that's for sure!

I just read this to my DH and he said, NO WAY should they take this cabin since there will be NO luxury with all those people in that one cabin.

You really don't need to be pampered. Two connecting cabins will be better.

Also, does anyone really want to be that close with their in-laws?

YUK, who wants to hear them farting all night? lol

Haha. We share rooms with my Mom all the time. She traveled through Europe a few times with us when the kids were babies. I am looking to see if we can get two connecting balcony rooms for about the same price as the SJ... It's looking hopeful. :) So may get two balcony's instead of two oceanviews, which is probably way better than the SJ truthfully! Thanks for all the help.

Anyone know how big the pull out sofas are in the regular balcony rooms that sleep 3? Is it big enough to put 2 toddlers in?

We've always taken my Mom with us on land trips. (NO kids) :D

She ALWAYS got her own bedroom/bathroom in the timeshare we chose.

Sometimes we even got her the attached lock off/apt attached to us.

To share close quarters with two adults and your/spouse/kids is

not a vacation to Mom and sis. People, (especially women) need their privacy. ;)

Also, certain SJ cabins don't have a balcony so if you get Mom a balcony, she can sit out at any time without bothering you and the kids.

Pull out couch is good for one adult or two kids.

Glad you are leaning towards the two cabins. You won't regret it.

We've always taken my Mom with us on land trips. (NO kids) :D

She ALWAYS got her own bedroom/bathroom in the timeshare we chose.

Sometimes we even got her the attached lock off/apt attached to us.

To share close quarters with two adults and your/spouse/kids is

not a vacation to Mom and sis. People, (especially women) need their privacy. ;)

Also, certain SJ cabins don't have a balcony so if you get Mom a balcony, she can sit out at any time without bothering you and the kids.

Pull out couch is good for one adult or two kids.

Glad you are leaning towards the two cabins. You won't regret it.

Proof that different things work for different people. Sometimes spending an extra 300EU on a hotel room was just not an option in Rome and Paris when our kids were babies. It was just my Mom though so that's a lot to spend on a room for one person when she could stay in our room for free. May be different because we DO have little ones so not like we're getting intimate anyways. Haha.

We've opted on two rooms. Not sure which rooms yet. Whether it be connecting balcony, connecting oceanview or balcony and inside room and just transfer the kids over. I'm sure it will work out well.

I have to totally disagree with lovemybutler

The suite will look horrible with all the orange curtains closed at night.

Only one person can use the bathroom at a time.

Imagine waiting for 6 people to use the bathroom? :eek:

They would NEVER get to breakfast on time, that's for sure!

I just read this to my DH and he said, NO WAY should they take this cabin since there will be NO luxury with all those people in that one cabin.

You really don't need to be pampered. Two connecting cabins will be better.

Also, does anyone really want to be that close with their in-laws?

YUK, who wants to hear them farting all night? lol

At night you should be asleep so how will you see the curtains? They act basically like walls. One person using the bathroom at a time? Double sinks, shower and tub. Husband and wife can easily use it together. Two tiny kids will be using it together with an adult. Breakfast can be delivered if time is an issue. The cabin is set up for 6 people. Who doesn't need to be pampered? Does your family have a flatulence issue? If so, your advice might be correct.

At night you should be asleep so how will you see the curtains? They act basically like walls. One person using the bathroom at a time? Double sinks, shower and tub. Husband and wife can easily use it together. Two tiny kids will be using it together with an adult. Breakfast can be delivered if time is an issue. The cabin is set up for 6 people. Who doesn't need to be pampered? Does your family have a flatulence issue? If so, your advice might be correct.

With six people in one cabin I'm sure one or two will get up during the night and have to move the ugly orange curtains to get to the bathroom. If they are behind the ugly curtain they will have to climb over the table and 4 chairs plus the coffee table and two two arm chairs and don't forget the two ottomens. What happens if mom gets up early and she has to stay in the uncomfortable Murphy bed? What if one of the kids are up early then EVERYONE is up. :eek: Hope they take ear plugs. lol

We've had the SJ and OS and boy they are roomy and perfect for the two of us. Sure would get crowded with 6, that's for sure.

Maybe the OS with the connecting room would work better.

I believe a vacation should be enjoyable for ALL.

BTW No flatulence problems here. (yet) lol

Archived