Cannes, Nice, and Eze

pinkroses

Our ship stops in Cannes. We would like to visit Nice and Eze from the port of Cannes. We need recommendations: Shall we rent a car? Is this doable? or hire a private tour company? This is our first time in Europe. Thanks!

Our ship stops in Cannes. We would like to visit Nice and Eze from the port of Cannes. We need recommendations: Shall we rent a car? Is this doable? or hire a private tour company? This is our first time in Europe. Thanks!

There is a ton of info on this board to answer all your questions and some you haven't thought of yet...read/scan through the pages.Also, Google your ports for more info and get a guide book or two from the library or buy Rick Steves's book and you will be all set for your cruise.

My only hesitation on giving advice is that its your first visit to Europe. Visiting Nice (from Cannes) is quite easy on the train. But Eze Village is a bit more difficult in that you can only get there by bus (from Nice or Monte Carlo) or it is possible to take the train to the Eze/Bord sur Mer stop and then get a bus (the schedule is not ideal) or try to get a taxi up to Eze Village. Personally, we would simply rent a car in Cannes (which we often do when in this part of France) and drive. There are two basic routes to Nice, one being a high speed Autostrade of the much slower road along the coast (much more fun). If you would rent a car you might want to look into St Paul de Vence which we think is a more interesting place then Eze Village. In fact, it might be possible to visit Eze, Nice and St Paul de Vence if you get an early start. With a car its always good to have a few options and then you can simply revise your plans as you go..

Hank

Last summer, we docked in Cannes and rented a car from "Mistral Location" the nearest car rental place to the tender port. The rental was smooth. We drove through Nice on our way to Eze. The problem is, that while the mileage you needed to cover was fairly modest, the traffic was crazy and we moved very slow. It was a lovely drive, and we very much enjoyed Eze. BUT, if we had tried to see a few things in Nice, I'm not sure we would have had time for everything. We were fast off the ship and fast to the car, but it still took 2 hours to drive to Eze. We got back to Cannes, (after spending 90 minutes in Eze), with about 90 minutes to wander around Cannes before the last tenders. I suppose we could have spent that 90 minutes in Nice instead. Not sure if Nice would be better than Cannes.

Thank you for the information! I have the Rick Steves book and have been studying plus looking through private tour companies that have been recommended. I have done the homework, just having difficulty making up my mind. I needed to hear from one who had actually followed the route I am considering. A car will probably provide the flexibility to move where we would want to go. June is our visiting time so traffic will probably be tough then. The rental place you mentioned, rmurray, is one that I have noticed being mentioned frequently. I will check it out!

Last summer, we docked in Cannes and rented a car from "Mistral Location" the nearest car rental place to the tender port. The rental was smooth. We drove through Nice on our way to Eze. The problem is, that while the mileage you needed to cover was fairly modest, the traffic was crazy and we moved very slow. It was a lovely drive, and we very much enjoyed Eze. BUT, if we had tried to see a few things in Nice, I'm not sure we would have had time for everything. We were fast off the ship and fast to the car, but it still took 2 hours to drive to Eze. We got back to Cannes, (after spending 90 minutes in Eze), with about 90 minutes to wander around Cannes before the last tenders. I suppose we could have spent that 90 minutes in Nice instead. Not sure if Nice would be better than Cannes.

How was the weather when you went. We are going Aug 23 and I am a little

worried about the heat.:confused:

How was the weather when you went. We are going Aug 23 and I am a little

worried about the heat.:confused:

I can't quote you any temps. It was hot...no question. But not overwhelmingly so. Of course, the car had a/c...so that helped. But we had a lovely time strolling around, and Eze has MANY shady spots if you need it.

We were worried to when we headed on our August cruise, because many had warned of oppressive heat. It was always hot, but never oppressive, and often fairly pleasant. We even hiked to the top of Vesuvius in the heat, and did fine. (I huffed and puffed a bit, but that's because I'm not in great shape.)

I can't quote you any temps. It was hot...no question. But not overwhelmingly so. Of course, the car had a/c...so that helped. But we had a lovely time strolling around, and Eze has MANY shady spots if you need it.

We were worried to when we headed on our August cruise, because many had warned of oppressive heat. It was always hot, but never oppressive, and often fairly pleasant. We even hiked to the top of Vesuvius in the heat, and did fine. (I huffed and puffed a bit, but that's because I'm not in great shape.)

Thanks for the info. We are use to the heat being from south Texas where

temps get to 100 in July & August. I think it will be OK for us. I am soo excited

for this cruise. Thanks again. Carol

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a great video resource file on the beautiful French Riviera. Our son is a professional videographer and filmed/produced 19 short films for the "Avid Cruiser" last summer. Sit back and join Chris and Ralph as they spend one month exploring this wonderful area of the world!

http://amberpacificstudios.com/2012/...-monster-post/

Another great resource that I have recently discovered is **************.com

There are PDF files you can download with lots of pictures, maps, train, bus & DIY info for all the major cruise ports in Europe.

Well worth downloading to you iPad to take with you!

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Rick Steves book and have been studying plus looking through private tour companies that have been recommended.

Rick's book was very helpful & last December we used Sylvie DiCristo who he recommended to visit Nice, Eze & Monte Carlo driving along the coast to MC & an uphill highway returning to Cannes. I'd highly recommend her & asked how often she had worked with Rick's company & she said never. I don't know how Rick discovered her to recommend touring with her but I completely agree that our tour with Sylvie was great! :D

Although she is very popular & fortunately someone on our Crown Princess roll call booked her a year in advance & when others on our Royal Princess TA roll call heard about her she was immediately booked nearly 18 months in advance.

We used Sylvie as well, booked her 16 months out or so as well.

To me, budget is a question here. If you can afford it, why not let someone else do the driving and help you plan, less stress... If budgets are tight, based on what we saw the roads in the area are very naviagable...

Rick's book was very helpful & last December we used Sylvie DiCristo who he recommended to visit Nice, Eze & Monte Carlo driving along the coast to MC & an uphill highway returning to Cannes. I'd highly recommend her & asked how often she had worked with Rick's company & she said never. I don't know how Rick discovered her to recommend touring with her but I completely agree that our tour with Sylvie was great! :D

Although she is very popular & fortunately someone on our Crown Princess roll call booked her a year in advance & when others on our Royal Princess TA roll call heard about her she was immediately booked nearly 18 months in advance.

Archived