Review of Freedom of the Seas - 3/17/13 (Western) - Of All Things "so nice"

After a thorough hand sanitizing, we are allowed to old some of the baby turtles. This was a very cool part of the tour for us:

8590155894_0d881a1334.jpg

After that trip, we stopped by a restaurant to drop off some folks that were going to eat there and we went back to the Capt. Marvin's office where we began the trip that morning.

Next: goodbye to Grand Cayman

-

We are the folks that were dropped off for lunch. That is my DW in pink in your photo. :D

What a great restaurant. Best piece of fish I've ever had.

Good review. It was nice living the cruise gain.

Thank you!

Edited by mpace58

Hi Fletch from your fellow Georgian -

On the "Zip Line" in Labadee - I saw one picture (not on your review) where the people were like sitting almost in a seat on a zipline instead of like hanging on to one rope - My husband and I have both had shoulder surgeries, and figured zip lining was out for us - do you know what type zipline this one in Labadee was? I think it'd be neat to go down a mountain and over the ocean, but, it did sound pricey?

Thanks, and hope you're surviving the pollen this year!!

Here are my shots of the zipline in Labadee. As you can see they are in a little seat. However, when they released the seat you had to hang onto the little bar so you wouldn't fall on your butt. So if you could support yourself for about a second on the bar you would be good.

This young lady ended up stopping short of the platform. So they bring out a rope to pull you in the rest of the way. This happened to a few people. I think they weren't leaning back enough to keep up momentum.

2013_03_19_0589.jpg

2013_03_19_0594.jpg

2013_03_19_0597.jpg

2013_03_19_0595.jpg

Thanks mpace58 for the zipline info and pictures - It does sound a little pricey, but, this is the first zipline I have seen with a seat? Maybe I haven't done my research, and they are common? But I may have to save my pennies and do this in December!

• 2 weeks later...

Fletch..been meaning to Thank You!! We were recently on Jewel of the Seas, went to Cozumel. On your excellent review and pictures, we did the Tulum and beach break excursion. Enjoyed it very much. Had a great day. Probably wouldn't have done it if not for your review. Thank You!

• 3 weeks later...

Loved, loved your review. We did the same cruise in July (see my review in my signature). Seeing your pictures allowed me to experience it again.

We also did the Stingray Sandbar in GC. What an amazing excursion! The water in GC was beyond words.

We loved FOS and can't wait to sail on her again.

Karyn

Yeah, 24 days and trying to be patient. Daughter (15) and I (like I'm going to say) are having a girls cruise. Flying out from CA, booked a balcony and are ready for R&R and fun!!

Can't wait to her the rest of your review, thank you!!

"Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up." - Inigo Montoya

Recommended reading for excellent Freedom trip reports:

KansCocoa currently has a blog on a cruise she took on the Allure, but before she did that, she sailed on Freedom. I poured over this review, as she goes into great details (w/ tons of pictures) on every inch of Freedom. After reading it, I felt like I could make my way around the ship before I got there. :-) Since I knew I could not duplicate her effort, I tried to focus mine on the port excursions, but if you are planning a cruise on the Freedom for the first time, her review is a must read! Middle Aged Drama Queen's Eastern Carib Review: Fun on the FREEDOM!!!

Okay, first - I LOVE the Inigo Montoya reference - probably one of my favorite movies EVER!!!

Second - thank you for the shout-out! I appreciate it - and I'm glad my review could help you envision the ship! :)

Third - AWESOME review! How did I miss this before? Oh - I think I was getting ready for my upcoming Top Chef cruise! Anyway - LOVED your sense of humor, movie references, and the port excursion information.

Thank you so much! I hope you cruise again - SOON - and write another review. Perhaps a cruise on the Allure or Oasis is in your future?!!

Secondly, you couldn't enter the Arcadia without hearing

over and over. I think it is something that Drew Devine prefers to get the audience going before shows start. The title of it is "Love Today" by Mika and I am just now getting it out of my head. :-)

Oh no, please tell me you're joking! They played this song over and over and over on my last cruise in 2010 on Liberty. I believe Richard Spacey was the CD for that one. Maybe its a favorite among the CDs, but after hearing it just twice it was no favorite of mine. Three years later and I still think its stuck in my head. You'd think they would have come up with something new in the last 3 years though. Guess I better mentally prepare myself for this as I'm on Freedom in a few weeks!

Great review by the way. Nice work.

Fletch - Just got back from our trip and wanted to thank you for the info on Capt. Marvin's. We booked them based off your review and had a great time! Experience was great and you couldn't beat the price! Thank you so much!

KeyserSoze - That song wasn't played at all on our voyage last week. Richard Spacey is the CD now, but I never hear it played.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, I gave them a CC to use to hold the reservation. They are quick to respond to email questions. When we checked in that morning, we ha the option to pay cash or have them use the CC that we reserved it with. You'll have fun!

Did you happen to purchase any pictures from Capt. Marvin's? If so, do you remember the cost? They had problems on the boat so they emailed us the pics and prices and the prices seemed to be a little steep:( He said the prices were different than on the boat?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Thanks so much for all of this fabulous information. We leave in 78 days.... :) I'm wondering if you could answer a specific question about the tendering process. You stated that you got down early to catch the first tender. How early did you go? How crowded was it. did you have any problems catching your shore excursion on time? Thanks so much!

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, first - I LOVE the Inigo Montoya reference - probably one of my favorite movies EVER!!!

Second - thank you for the shout-out! I appreciate it - and I'm glad my review could help you envision the ship! :)

Third - AWESOME review! How did I miss this before? Oh - I think I was getting ready for my upcoming Top Chef cruise! Anyway - LOVED your sense of humor, movie references, and the port excursion information.

Thank you so much! I hope you cruise again - SOON - and write another review. Perhaps a cruise on the Allure or Oasis is in your future?!!

Thanks for the props! I have been off CC for a few months - been over run with life stuff. Time to start planning another cruise. I would love to sail on Oasis class. We are cruising this Feb with our 15 yr old daughter. Will probably go Freedom again unless we can find a deal on Oasis class... :D

Thanks so much for all of this fabulous information. We leave in 78 days.... :) I'm wondering if you could answer a specific question about the tendering process. You stated that you got down early to catch the first tender. How early did you go? How crowded was it. did you have any problems catching your shore excursion on time? Thanks so much!

We made sure we were one or two floors away on the staircase heading down right when they started letting people off. We did not have priority disembark. We booked our tour with Capt. Marvins which was across the street from the port, so we were there in plenty of time. We actually had about a 30 minute wait before we left...

I read on another review that the caffeine free diet coke was either always out or possibly not available during entire cruise. Did you happen to notice if this was the case on your cruise? I saw in your review that a lot of flavors were out last day. Did they replenish the machines through out the cruise?

Thanks for your help. Great review by the way. Thanks, :)

Question about your comments on Labadee.

Are you saying there are specific beach areas reserved for specific passengers/cabin categories? Any other area or feature. I do know you can book cabanas.

We are thinking of bringing our snorkeling stuff, but need to get some input as to if there is even stuff(under the water) to see that is worth the effort to carry all that stuff. Maybe brink just our mask/snorkel.

When we are in Labadee, we will be the second ship in that day at around 10:00 am per my understanding. Sounds like it will be crowded. Just hope all the shade is not taken. I am sure all the beer will not be gone though. :)

Edited by shipshape sam

Question about your comments on Labadee.

Are you saying there are specific beach areas reserved for specific passengers/cabin categories? Any other area or feature. I do know you can book cabanas.

We are thinking of bringing our snorkeling stuff, but need to get some input as to if there is even stuff(under the water) to see that is worth the effort to carry all that stuff. Maybe brink just our mask/snorkel.

When we are in Labadee, we will be the second ship in that day at around 10:00 am per my understanding. Sounds like it will be crowded. Just hope all the shade is not taken. I am sure all the beer will not be gone though. :)

Barefoot Beach is for full suite guests.

I read on another review that the caffeine free diet coke was either always out or possibly not available during entire cruise. Did you happen to notice if this was the case on your cruise? I saw in your review that a lot of flavors were out last day. Did they replenish the machines through out the cruise?

Thanks for your help. Great review by the way. Thanks, :)

On my April 2012 cruise on the Freedom, I had no trouble at all getting caffeine free diet coke from the freestyle machines. And I and my mom drank a lot of it.

Sent from iPhone using Cruise Critic App