Noisy adults in the Solarium?

clayb

One of my favorite spots on RCI ships is the Solarium... but lately, there are folks in the hot tubs drinking daiquiris, talking and laughing loudly, Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against talking or drinking and having a good time. I do my share of both. But the Solarium is supposed to be a quiet place and I haven't found that lately on my RCCL cruises. Maybe I should get up and ask security to handle it. How do you feel?

I've experienced a lot of folks not playing by the rules myself, but was never bothered to the point I felt I had to ask the ship to intervene. No, that's a lie. I did once. Some guy was sitting in the hot tub and every minute or so he would spit in the water. Fortunately, I was just in the line of sight and not in the water!

He did it so often, it was like a nervous habit. I was rather grossed out, as you can imagine. Mentioned it to the bartender while I happened to be there to get a cold beverage. He called someone who came up and observed. Next thing you know, the supervisor's talking discreetly to the spitter, he and his wife are out of the hot tub, and the maintenance guys have it netted over for cleaning.

One of my favorite spots on RCI ships is the Solarium... but lately, there are folks in the hot tubs drinking daiquiris, talking and laughing loudly, Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against talking or drinking and having a good time. I do my share of both. But the Solarium is supposed to be a quiet place and I haven't found that lately on my RCCL cruises. Maybe I should get up and ask security to handle it. How do you feel?

I don't think security would do anything.

I've experienced a lot of folks not playing by the rules myself, but was never bothered to the point I felt I had to ask the ship to intervene. No, that's a lie. I did once. Some guy was sitting in the hot tub and every minute or so he would spit in the water. Fortunately, I was just in the line of sight and not in the water!

He did it so often, it was like a nervous habit. I was rather grossed out, as you can imagine. Mentioned it to the bartender while I happened to be there to get a cold beverage. He called someone who came up and observed. Next thing you know, the supervisor's talking discreetly to the spitter, he and his wife are out of the hot tub, and the maintenance guys have it netted over for cleaning.

Well that's good that the ship did this. :)

I'm not sure anything would be done, unless the people were really being overly loud. There is actually nothing that says you must keep quiet in the Solarium. They describe it as an "adults only retreat," which some people interpret as quiet, but others might not.

Sorry OP, but I don't believe it is designated as a quiet place...adults only yes, quiet, no.

If you want a quiet place,why not stay in your cabin?

One post wonder:rolleyes:

I think quiet, peaceful when I hear solarium. I don't expect complete silence, but on our trip this past week we had a VERY loud woman who thought she had to almost yell and no she wasn't hard of hearing as I saw and heard her talking to others when she didn't want others overhearing, which wasn't very often. She would sit in the hot tub talking loudly to those in it and not in it, and you could plainly hear everything across the room. I also know which nights they ate at Portofino's because I heard her loudly telling a young guy in her group to go make reservations and he was standing right next to the hot tub, no more than 3 feet from her. Her husband came by once or twice, but didn't stay (I wonder why lol). She sat and talked, nonstop to a couple of women near us and after she left they were talking about how loudly she talked and that she never stopped talking, then they laughed and shook their heads. She's the "I have to be the center of attention and I'm so wonderful that everyone wants to hear me speak type". Anyway, point is, I don't want to hear every conversation and no one should be that loud constantly.

It's very difficult to have a conversation with others or concentrate on reading when someone is that loud and obnoxious. That's not the first cruise I've had that. Okay, have fun in the hot tub with your group, but not to the detriment of others in the room.

A large percentage of people nap there in the afternoon after being in the sun, reading, drinking, etc and it's very startling to have someone yell or stand right next to you, seeing you sleeping, having a loud conversation.

Manners works both ways and the right of those being loud DO NOT override those that aren't.

I think quiet, peaceful when I hear solarium. I don't expect complete silence, but on our trip this past week we had a VERY loud woman who thought she had to almost yell and no she wasn't hard of hearing as I saw and heard her talking to others when she didn't want others overhearing, which wasn't very often. She would sit in the hot tub talking loudly to those in it and not in it, and you could plainly hear everything across the room. I also know which nights they ate at Portofino's because I heard her telling a young gun in her group to go make reservations. Her husband came by once or twice, but didn't stay (I wonder why lol). She sat and talked, nonstop to a couple of women near us and after she left they were talking about how loudly she talked and that she never stopped talking, then they laughed and shook their heads. She's the "I have to be the center of attention and I'm so wonderful that everyone wants to hear me speak type". Anyway, point is, I don't want to hear every conversation and no one should be that loud constantly.

It's very difficult to have a conversation with others or concentrate on reading when someone is that loud and obnoxious. That's not the first cruise I've had that. Okay, have fun in the hot tub with your group, but not to the detriment of others in the room.

Sorry but not everyone is going to abide by your ideal volume. Some people are louder than others. If you want everyone to live by your standards maybe a cruise isn't the right vacation for you.

As long as the loud adults aren't swearing up a storm there is nothing wrong with it. There are lots of other places on a ship that are good for quiet.

Now if there are kids running around being loud, that is when I would raise a stink about it.

Sorry but not everyone is going to abide by your ideal volume. Some people are louder than others. If you want everyone to live by your standards maybe a cruise isn't the right vacation for you.

So, you're okay with someone who pretty much yells and talks nonstop?

Sorry, but not everyone is going to live by your standards either sweetheart. My opinion counts just as much as yours does. As I said, no one's rights override anyone elses. I'm not going to tell you you shouldn't cruise because of something you don't like. We've only been on 13 cruises so I guess we don't know what WE like. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Drinking daiquiris, talking and laughing....while on a cruise? shame on them. ;)

No problem with that at all. Why, we actually laugh, drink and talk too.:rolleyes:

I think OP was expressing their feeling about something and they are entitled to one on something so subjective.

I've never heard a thing about the solarium being a "quiet" area. You may picture it that way, but it's a pool area with a bar, so I wouldn't expect it to be. Yes, you are supposed to be an adult, but not quiet!

I agree. I can't picture my friends and I managing to keep the noise level down in the Solarium. Pool + bar does not = quiet. :rolleyes:

I agree. I can't picture my friends and I managing to keep the noise level down in the Solarium. Pool + bar does not = quiet. :rolleyes:

Typically, on most cruises we have ever been on, the partying went on at the pool area and people went to the solarium to not be part of the music, pool games, etc. It was a place to get away from that. Those that want quiet are allowed to be by a pool and bar too.:rolleyes:

I love how "tolerant" those are that like the noise. LOL, only tolerant of the noise.

This is one of the reasons we take our Bose noise-cancelling headphones anywhere we want to read. Listening to our favorite music and being in the Solarium (or out on deck) is very relaxing with the headphones on.

I'm sorry for some of the responses you've gotten here. It's certainly implied that it should be somewhat quieter in the Solarium. The kids aren't shut out "for spite". The kids are shut out because they're loud and disruptive relative to (responsible) adults. Now, adults through good rearing and life wisdom should consider the needs of their neighbors and use discretion (In other words, if there's a person trying to enjoy some relative quiet, try being at least a little considerate of their needs and keep it down.)

Then again, have you been to a public library lately? In the ones close to me, there's not much quiet and not much enforcement of the rules with respect to being quiet. People are self involved. I guess we just need to resolve that's the way it's gonna be.:(

Those that want quiet are allowed to be by a pool and bar too.:rolleyes:

I love how "tolerant" those are that like the noise. LOL, only tolerant of the noise.

Why of course they are. They simply aren't allowed to control the volume level of everybody else in the area and judge them for not being silent.

Typically, on most cruises we have ever been on, the partying went on at the pool area and people went to the solarium to not be part of the music, pool games, etc. It was a place to get away from that. Those that want quiet are allowed to be by a pool and bar too.:rolleyes:

No. We're tolerant of the quiet people, too. :cool:

Archived