Paging snowshoecat

toberman

What's happening down there?? Any word on the furloughs etc. Can't imagine they would cancel leave - still have to give it, or pay it out!!

Think I saw you post something about RME and ITH towers being closed?? Is that really a 'bad' thing. Seem's like they're pretty low traffic areas anyway. So guys have to go 'Private'.. Best thing that ever happened to us !! :D

I'm actually out-of-town right now, so I'm not sure what's actually going on as of today.

RME and ITH towers are on the closure list. The problem would be if there is more than one IFR operation at a time, we have to get cancellations before allowing the next aircraft in or out. It's not a huge deal for the approach controller, but it can slow things down, and add to the workload while we do the stuff the tower normally would do.

There can be lots of military training at RME. Sometimes they're doing approach work, sometimes they do pattern work.

ITH is run by Elmira, so I don't really know what their traffic is like.

Our furloughs are scheduled to start towards the end of April. They're in our work schedule already, subject to change, of course.

I would say closing the towers is a "bad" thing for the controllers who will be out of work. Those towers are run by a private company and I don't know if they will be offered other positions.

Archived