new to royal please help

agc291

We are looking into booking either allure or oasis for December but we are new to royal and the website has been confusing me.

When doing a mock booking it shows the option to pre pay gratuities but if you select the my time dining option the gratuities are selected and you cant turn it off? We usually have them charged to our account on carnival. Is this just because we are choosing my time dining?

Are there certain rates you book like how Carnival has past guest, early saver, resident, etc? If so how do you know what rate you booked?

We have never booked a balcony but are doing so on this cruise. How are the central park balconies vs the ocean view balconies? Is there a optimal area you should book your room in?

Any other information that could help out a noob like me? I am sure there are tons of threads but I just cant find the info I am looking for. I read the "cruising royal" thread but didnt find too much helpful info.

With RCI if you book my time dining then gratuities have to be pre paid.

I can't comment on the ship itself as i have not yet sailed but i will be happy to comment in just a few weeks :D

My personal opinion is that i can see inside the ship any time so i choose to have an ocean view balcony but there are some that like the tranquillity of say a central park balcony i think it is personal choice :)

With RCI if you book my time dining then gratuities have to be pre paid.

I can't comment on the ship itself as i have not yet sailed but i will be happy to comment in just a few weeks :D

My personal opinion is that i can see inside the ship any time so i choose to have an ocean view balcony but there are some that like the tranquillity of say a central park balcony i think it is personal choice :)

Back to back on Allure ! How amazing

ENJOY :-)

I'm not new to RCCL, but am new to MTD. I believe when selecting MTD, you must prepay gratuities. Maybe someone else can clarify this. I'm also going to be choosing this option for my upcoming cruise in November on Oasis.

My time dining always prepays tips... Everyone else gets charged daily (recently new... Before was fill the envelopes at the end of the cruise or add to seapass).

Most people like mid ship deck 6-8 for the proximity of Central Park and the Promenade. I'm a fan of 8 myself having sailed 2x on deck 8. The Central Park balconies are a novelty and only available on Oasis/Allure so many people book them because they can't on any other ship. They are also non smoking where as the ocean views are allowed smoking if this is a preference/concern for you. The CP balconies are also generally cheaper than the ocean views.

Typically there is only one rate to book and any price reductions before your final payment date you are entitled to (but YOU have to watch for them and call in to get it... its not automatic) There are also residency / senior / military/police discounts that can also be applied.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

I think you would enjoy the view of the ocean much more than people..I noticed on the Mariner in the promenade balconies that all the curtains are drawn, as I think you can look straight across to the other side into the other's cabins.. Don't know if that applies to Allure.

I forgot to comment on the special rates. I can tell you that I booked an outside balcony back in May of last year the day they opened the sailings for this itinerary. I got a great rate. I had second thoughts on the location about a month ago, and called RCCL about possibly switching cabins. I was pleased to find they had opened up a reduced rate for Virginia (and several other states) residents. It lowered my cruise rate by almost $200, and I was able to move to an upgraded cabin as well (on a hump). I'm now on the hump on Deck 8. I continue to call monthly to see if they open the discount for first responders as they've said they may apply that discount at some point for this cruise and if so, we would be eligible for that discount as well. So continue to call and ask for discounts or upgrades even after booking.

We love the balcony view of the ocean...especially on Allure and Oasis you can walk in and look down on the interior views from above. That said, our group of eight cabins is going on the Oasis next year and several of our group are book Boardwalk balconies which they feel is the best of both worlds as you get some of the feel of the outdoors.

My time dining always prepays tips... Everyone else gets charged daily (recently new... Before was fill the envelopes at the end of the cruise or add to seapass).

This may be the wine talking, but isn't that the same thing in the end?

Thank you all!!! So helpful:) I think we will book an ocean view balcony

Most people like mid ship deck 6-8 for the proximity of Central Park and the Promenade. I'm a fan of 8 myself having sailed 2x on deck 8. The Central Park balconies are a novelty and only available on Oasis/Allure so many people book them because they can't on any other ship. They are also non smoking where as the ocean views are allowed smoking if this is a preference/concern for you. The CP balconies are also generally cheaper than the ocean views.

Typically there is only one rate to book and any price reductions before your final payment date you are entitled to (but YOU have to watch for them and call in to get it... its not automatic) There are also residency / senior / military/police discounts that can also be applied.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

Thank you! My BF is a smoker. Although he is used to going to designated areas (we have only had interior rooms before) it would be nice to use the balcony, esp. at night.

Does royal have a website that you can view the current fares besides the regular booking engine or is it best to call and have them check?

Archived