Pre Cruise trip to Berlin

HEINER

Has anyone done a pre cruise trip to Berlin? If so was it worth it and what Hotel did you use?

We are on the Royal next year we can leave from Copenhagen or leave three days later from Berlin. If we leave form Copenhagen we would miss Oslo and Gothenburg. We have been to Copenhagen before and love that city. Just not sure Berlin is worth a few days extra before the cruise.

Thanks for any information you can give us.

Betty

Has anyone done a pre cruise trip to Berlin? If so was it worth it and what Hotel did you use?

We are on the Royal next year we can leave from Copenhagen or leave three days later from Berlin. If we leave form Copenhagen we would miss Oslo and Gothenburg. We have been to Copenhagen before and love that city. Just not sure Berlin is worth a few days extra before the cruise.

Betty

Whether or not you will enjoy Berlin will most probably depend on your personal interests.

I have done the day trip to Berlin (2011) from Warnemunde & a land trip to Berlin (5 days ... 2010). Only the day trip was done via cruise ship ... the land trip was DIY.

I loved Berlin. I am a history & museum nut & Berlin's Museum Island hosts some world class museums (Pergamon, Altes, Bode, New Museum, National Gallery). Also visited the Olympic Stadium, Brandenburg Gate, Dom (Cathedral), Ku'damm, Kaiser Wilhelm Church, Charlottenburg Palace, Reichstag (went to the top of glass dome), site of Hitler Bunker, Halocaust Memorial, etc.

For our land trip, we stayed at the Circus Hotel ... relatively inexpensive, nice rooms & U Bahn stop (Rosenthaler Platz) is right across the street from the hotel.

Has anyone done a pre cruise trip to Berlin? If so was it worth it

Hello Betty

Like Jill I loved Berlin. Its history is obviously very dark but there's so much to see. In 2 days I only scratched the surface, and made these :

General Sights

The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (aka The Holocaust Memorial)

The History of the Berlin Wall

On the Roof of The Reichstag

Tacheles Art House

I look forward to going back. All the best, Tony

I always wanted to visit Berlin and we decided to see it on a precruise land trip. We spent three full days in Berlin, and also barely scratched the surface. We started off using the HOHO bus to get an overview.

We also enjoyed half a day strolling around in Potsdam (only 28 kms away by train). Stayed at the All Seasons Hotel Berlin Mitte, Rosenthaler Platz. The hotel decor is best described as funky and modern, and room was small, but clean. Buffet breakfast was included in the hotel rate.

The Berlin transportation system is great and we had no problems travelling by bus from the main train station to the hotel and again by bus to Tegel airport. The bus platforms are low, designed for people travelling with luggage.

• 3 weeks later...
Whether or not you will enjoy Berlin will most probably depend on your personal interests.

I have done the day trip to Berlin (2011) from Warnemunde & a land trip to Berlin (5 days ... 2010). Only the day trip was done via cruise ship ... the land trip was DIY.

I loved Berlin. I am a history & museum nut & Berlin's Museum Island hosts some world class museums (Pergamon, Altes, Bode, New Museum, National Gallery). Also visited the Olympic Stadium, Brandenburg Gate, Dom (Cathedral), Ku'damm, Kaiser Wilhelm Church, Charlottenburg Palace, Reichstag (went to the top of glass dome), site of Hitler Bunker, Halocaust Memorial, etc.

For our land trip, we stayed at the Circus Hotel ... relatively inexpensive, nice rooms & U Bahn stop (Rosenthaler Platz) is right across the street from the hotel.

When you went to Reichstag did you get tickets before you left home? Or make arrangements for a tour guide? I have read that there is very long lines to get in but if you have a tour guide you won't need to stand in line.

Betty

Archived