Embarkation lunch....mass hysteria?

I keep reading how the windjammer is a free for all and no seats...crowded...savages at the buffet. YUCK! I do not remember that at all from my last two cruises with RCI (EOS and SOS). Has something changed? Is there a place you can go and dine in a civilized manner with a glass of wine after you board? We are on the GOS in May. Thanks!

I think a lot of the negatives relating to the windjammer refer to Oasis and Allure. First day is a little hectic, but it's not as bad as the intense negatives you've heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on the 3/15 ExOTS and the first day the Windjammer did get crazy. Cool outside, people had all their carry on stuff, staterooms not ready until 1:30. So, people would linger at the tables and the new people arriving could not find seats. Too cool to go out on deck. Some people did congregate on the Promenade level.

They made an announcement in the Windjammer asking people to leave so others could sit and eat. Not sure how well that worked out. It is hard to navigate a crowded Windjammer with luggage, coats...

After that first lunch, things settled down. As for savages at the buffet???? Did not see that. There is confusion as people walk around looking at the choices but people were civilized.

Personnally I think it's horrible on the Enchantment. It is like a free-for-all.

I was so pleased that Park Cafe was open when we embarked in January. It was a pleasant way to start the cruise. And I had the FIRST roast beef sandwich :p of the cruise ( we had priority embarkation).

I wish RCI had the main dining room open on day 1 but doubt that will ever happen.

Unfortunately you're on a ship with people from all walks of life and a lot of times when people are on vacation they leave their manners at home. I too have seen the Windjammer Buffet crowded with people butting in the line to get items off the buffet. I try to avoid it completely or just go with I know the peak dining times are over.

...people butting in the line to get items off the buffet....

The line cutters drive me insane too! I mean yes there are people that just stand there and stare at the food, but it does move along eventually. :rolleyes:

I usually get my food and then go find somewhere else to sit and eat, usually outside.

Since I always show up waaaay early and among the first to board the ship I've had no problem getting a table or my food in the buffet. When we're done we grab our carryons and head out to explore the ship (if they haven't opened the rooms yet). It's usually a bit more hectic when we leave the Windjammer at that point since more people are arriving, but we're nice and relaxed. Actually, I like it that everyone is in the Windjammer. That means I can go out and take tons of pictures in the other parts of the ship with no people in them! :p:D

Theresa

I agree. There are sooooo many venues on the Allure and the Oasis. Have never, ever had a problem. Everything is so well laid out. LOVE IT....

The OP is asking about the Grandeur not Allure and Oasis.

To the OP, the WJ can be crowded but you can usually find a seat if you walk around a bit. There is also Park Cafe but I am not sure if it is open at lunch on that ship.

I really think the only thing that has really changed is people's attitudes. They have absolutely no patience and want what they want when they want and if they don't get it, they have to go complain to guest services or send off an email to corporate.

Don't let the dramatic posts get you down, the WJ is not a 3 ring circus, crowded, yes, at times, but not as bad as some make it out to be.

Since I always show up waaaay early and among the first to board the ship I've had no problem getting a table or my food in the buffet. When we're done we grab our carryons and head out to explore the ship (if they haven't opened the rooms yet). It's usually a bit more hectic when we leave the Windjammer at that point since more people are arriving, but we're nice and relaxed. Actually, I like it that everyone is in the Windjammer. That means I can go out and take tons of pictures in the other parts of the ship with no people in them! :p:D

Theresa

Yes...This! :cool:

Also on that 1st day we know there are a lot of people trying to find tables and eat also, so we don't sit and have big conversations on the 1st day! One thing I found out by being here on CC is on my last cruise on Serenade Of The Seas I knew about the outdoor seating so we headed out there and there was only about 2 other tables occupied. Most folks didn't find out about that little Gem until about the 3rd day of the cruise.

Personnally I think it's horrible on the Enchantment. It is like a free-for-all.

I was so pleased that Park Cafe was open when we embarked in January. It was a pleasant way to start the cruise. And I had the FIRST roast beef sandwich :p of the cruise ( we had priority embarkation).

I wish RCI had the main dining room open on day 1 but doubt that will ever happen.

The Enchantment is no different than other ships...and certainly far from "horrible". Yes, people, especially during the cold months, tend to hang out in the WJ after finishing their food....but should that be called "horrible"? "Crowded" is a more accurate word. As far a manners, Baltimore draws a pleasant demographic...far less pushy than some of the other East Coast ports. In my ELEVEN sailings on the Enchantment, I have never seen "horrible" behavior or conditions in the Windjammer....quite the contrary.

When you board the Grandeur in Baltimore in May you should be pleasantly surprised at the TOTAL ABSENCE of "mass hysteria."

Yes it is crowded, some times people without manners, table hogs(reading a book) no tables, yes but, many couples are setting at tables for 4 or 6 with only two people at the table. Many are afraid to set at/join these tables for fear of meeting a bad couple, I guess. Many who complain are older less mobile, yes they are some problems in this area. Many want to get to the food before itl runs out, do lunch, never do lunch at home, cannot wait for a while and just relax, while all is good they are finally on the ship.

So what do you do if the local special local lunch/dinner restaurant is over booked the line out the door, You just wait, but on a cruise ship what a place to just wait.

The line cutters drive me insane too! I mean yes there are people that just stand there and stare at the food, but it does move along eventually. :rolleyes:

I do not know what you mean by "line cutters". Often I want ONE item from the line. There may be a line of people waiting to get their plates and start picking up items all along the line. I already have my plate and want one thing. I will wait for a gap and just step in, scoop up the item I want and back away. If you consider me a "line cutter", so be it....

Thank you for all the responses! I've been spoiled by Disney recently having sit down MDRs available for embarkation. I might seek out that roast beef at the Park Cafe...if it is open. Can I get wine there? That is my real priority..I won't pretend it isnt..lol. :D

I know some people want to be on board early but we have found, not boarding until later, when rooms are ready is the way to go. we grab a drink, take it t the room and relax and head up later for a quick bite when its slower.

Depending on where your room is, a great option is to get something and bring it back to your room also.

We have always flown in the night prior to the sailing so we sleep in late at the hotel. Have breakfast and don't leave until checkout. Depending where our embarkation port is, we may also have lunch there and explore the surrounding area and arrive after the 'frenzy' !!;)

Chair hogs are a plenty in the WJ prior to the rooms opening. Arrive in the afternoon once they have all gone and your golden!!:)

I keep reading how the windjammer is a free for all and no seats...crowded...savages at the buffet. YUCK! I do not remember that at all from my last two cruises with RCI (EOS and SOS). Has something changed? Is there a place you can go and dine in a civilized manner with a glass of wine after you board? We are on the GOS in May. Thanks!

I would not expect it to be much different than your experience on your previous cruises.

I knew the resident "line-cutter" would speak up sooner or later! :rolleyes:

I believe that line cutting is OK if there is space between people to grab what you want and go. But if you're making people move so you can grab something, that is not OK.

There is no sense waiting in line to get 1 item and then leaving. If there is a huge line with the entire buffet packed with people, then cutting to grab 1 item would probably be not a good idea.

I do not know what you mean by "line cutters". Often I want ONE item from the line. There may be a line of people waiting to get their plates and start picking up items all along the line. I already have my plate and want one thing. I will wait for a gap and just step in, scoop up the item I want and back away. If you consider me a "line cutter", so be it....

I agree! It is set-up in stations, not a solid cafeteria line. No reason to wait and shuffle past each and every item as some do - waiting for that person who selects their lettuce one leaf at a time!

There are also plates at multiple points, but 9 times out of ten, the masses form a line at the first stack of plates and shuffle along.

Same with me. If I see a gap and I know I just want to grab that one piece of fish and go, I don't wait behind a long line to get it, when there is a big gap and lull before that fish tray!

You better not jump in front anybody in the Honey Stung Chicken line though...You might lose your life! :eek:

I knew the resident "line-cutter" would speak up sooner or later! :rolleyes:

Most of the WJ's are set up with separate stations. Plates are in multiple locations so people don't congregate in one area. So, where is the line you want people to join? Sometimes, there will be people waiting for one item and a small line will form but the current format is designed to stop bottlenecks created by a traditional buffet line.

There are also plates at multiple points, but 9 times out of ten, the masses form a line at the first stack of plates and shuffle along.

It seems that most people go to their right as the enter the WJ. Then they stop at the first buffet line and form a long line waiting to go through. We laugh at them and walk on past to the rest of the serving stations in the back. Usually, they are relatively empty of people. We also get a chuckle out of the people who wait in line first, load up their plates and then wander around looking for a table balancing the plate and drinks.

The first thing we do is walk to the back and find a table. Then go back to the serving lines to find what we want.

Unfortunately, most all of the Windjammer's on RCI ships are packed just after the doors open. The best (i.e. most spacious) are on the Radiance Class although those also tend to fill up.

The worst by far are the Allure and Oasis.

If you go after 1 things will empty out rather quickly as that is typically when they open cabins.

If the ship we are sailing on has a Promenade Cafe we usually just sit there and eat a sandwich, along with a cup of coffee, to tie us over under dinner time. It beats walking around with a heavy tray waiting for someone to be finished with their table.

Archived