Changing tables in public restrooms on ships?

danilynn17

We are recently back from RC's Adventure of the Seas. We had a great time traveling with our 3 y.o. and 10 month old. One of the small annoyances was that the ship did not have changing tables in any of the public restrooms we visited. This was very annoying, as our baby had a tendancy to take care of business during dinner. So either I or my husband would have to take her back to our room on the very opposite end of the ship.

For a cruise line that markets so heavily to families, it surprised me that I didn't see any changing tables on board. We had previously sailed with our older child when she was 11 months on HAL. There were not changing tables in their public restrooms, either, but we expected that since HAL doesn't really cater/market to families. Our prior cruise on RC was prior to us having kids, so we didn't pay attention if that ship had them.

Do other cruise lines have changing tables in the public restrooms? Or other RC ships?

Carnival does not. When my kids were small-ish, I would put the changing pad down on the counter and changing them there. I guess it depends on how big the baby is and/or how wiggly. I could do it with my 10 month old last year, but when we cruise this summer he will be 2+ and I don't think it will work. However, after 4 kids I am an expert at changing diapers while the kid is standing up.

I saw one changing table in the women's rest room across from the MDR on Enchantment. Unfortunately, even in their new nursery (at least during open play times) they have big signs posted telling parents to go back to their cabin for diaper changes.

I was really frustrated by this, honestly. My DD is 17 months, so not too prone to huge messy diapers, but carrying a stinky kid clear across the ship is not great for anyone either. Before I found that one table, I put her changing pad down on a counter and changed her. Not so easy with a rocking boat!

I thought they might be hiding in the handicapped stalls, but never saw one. No, instead some of the handicapped stalls have sinks, but no changing tables.

We enjoyed our cruise, but this is a really bizarre omission/oversight for such large ships. If fast food restaurants can do it, why not a huge cruise line? :confused:

We are recently back from RC's Adventure of the Seas. We had a great time traveling with our 3 y.o. and 10 month old. One of the small annoyances was that the ship did not have changing tables in any of the public restrooms we visited. This was very annoying, as our baby had a tendancy to take care of business during dinner. So either I or my husband would have to take her back to our room on the very opposite end of the ship.

For a cruise line that markets so heavily to families, it surprised me that I didn't see any changing tables on board. We had previously sailed with our older child when she was 11 months on HAL. There were not changing tables in their public restrooms, either, but we expected that since HAL doesn't really cater/market to families. Our prior cruise on RC was prior to us having kids, so we didn't pay attention if that ship had them.

Do other cruise lines have changing tables in the public restrooms? Or other RC ships?

Did your cabin have a changing table that you or your husband took the baby back to the cabin to use? With four kids I have changed diapers in various locations without a changing table. I personally would have found a semi private area and used a blanket on the floor.

Did your cabin have a changing table that you or your husband took the baby back to the cabin to use? With four kids I have changed diapers in various locations without a changing table. I personally would have found a semi private area and used a blanket on the floor.

I try my best to avoid diaper changes in public areas as a courtesy to others, particularly when the diapers are messy and smelly. You would think a cruise ship would also want to avoid random public area diaper changes considering concerns with cleanliness.

The point of my post is that I find it quite odd for a family-oriented cruise line to not have changing tables. Perhaps liability is a reason, as a previous poster pointed out.

Archived