What is the best way to disembark - quickly.

kentuckycruiser

My family of 4 is disembarking on April 6 - from the Reflection in Miami - I need the serious tips on how we can get off and catch a 10:10 flight.

I know the time is a problem, it wasn't my idea and now I'm stuck with it. No other flights are now available that day.

Does my husband need to go get in line at 5:00 a.m. with our luggage? He would do that if it would mean we wouldn't miss our flight.

This is all an added stress because of email which just went out from Celebrity that we shouldn't arrive for cruise until noon - because its taking longer for passengers to get off the ship - so I am assuming its going to take a while for us to get off the following Saturday.

There have been several threads over the past few days about the difficulties getting off the ships, due to a variety of factors.

Investigate the luggage valet program. It costs $20 per passenger, plus any luggage fees the airline imposes (which you would be paying anyway). If you do this, you don't have to look for your luggage in the terminal -- you go directly to Customs and Immigration. It isn't available for all flights and this one may be too early, however. Still, it's worth asking the question.

Can you handle self-disembarking? This means moving all your own luggage, without help from Celebrity, possible down a flight or two of stairs. Not suitable for anyone who needs wheelchair or other assistance.

If you can, then sign up for self-disembarking.

Arrange for a private car service to pick you up, rather than counting on a taxi or Celebrity transfer.

These things will make the process go more smoothly, but nothing can bring more personnel to the Customs/Immigration lines, and if they are short-staffed, they are short-staffed.

You need to find a way to debark with your luggage. On my last cruise out of Miami, the luggage came off a luggage carousel rather than be lined up in rows by colors or numbers in a huge room. It took a while and was not easy. We did get a porter to help.

And be careful at Miami airport. You take a train/tram to the gates. And for our flight, they changed gates 3 times (all with late announcements) which meant running back to that train again. So once at your gate, double check and watch for gate changes.

Self Disembarkation is fast and easy. This is of course IF the ship makes it back to Miami in time, IF the ship clears customs, etc.

You pack and take your own luggage with you (this means ALL your luggage) from your room and are in the first group to exit the ship. You might be taking your luggage up or down a couple of flights of stairs. I think on our last cruise it was 6:30 am ... more or less. The line to exit the ship might look long (many chose this option) but it moves fast through the ships security. Then it is off to customs, make sure you have your documents filled out and hopefully they are not too complicated. Then you and your family should be good to go.

If everything works out, you should make it with time to spare for your flight.

Archived