Thomson confiscating your Duty Free

Just back from Spirit. Had a wonderful time. You can still take your duty free drink onboard and also buy from ships shop. Drinks packages still available eg beer, wine and none alc cocktails. Full drinks package could be bought as well for £199 per week and offered for a few days after with the price going down to reflect how many days were left. I didn't see anyone topping up their glasses with their own alcohol.

Sorry if anyone has already posted this info as I haven't had chance to read all the previous posts.

Maggie :)

Just back from Spirit. Had a wonderful time. You can still take your duty free drink onboard and also buy from ships shop. Drinks packages still available eg beer, wine and none alc cocktails. Full drinks package could be bought as well for £199 per week and offered for a few days after with the price going down to reflect how many days were left. I didn't see anyone topping up their glasses with their own alcohol.

Sorry if anyone has already posted this info as I haven't had chance to read all the previous posts.

Thanks Maggie :) - this is really good and hopefully an indication that the whole fleet isn't following suit. I'm especially pleased to hear that the various beer/wine packages are still being offerred. I'm very disappointed that Thomson don't have something similar on Dream or Celebration. I reckon they are missing a trick.

Thanks Maggie :) - this is really good and hopefully an indication that the whole fleet isn't following suit. I'm especially pleased to hear that the various beer/wine packages are still being offerred. I'm very disappointed that Thomson don't have something similar on Dream or Celebration. I reckon they are missing a trick.

I think so. The none alc cocktail package is good for DH as he can't drink alcohol due to medication so the full drinks package is not worth it to us as we both have to buy it. It's the first time we have gone PAYG with the drinks (Due to booking later) and it worked out a lot cheaper for us. I was quite happy with iced water from the dispenser with the meals and snacks we had in the Lido.:)

Well, that's a bit of GOOD news. :)

I'm sure we could all do with it.

Probably been explained elsewhere but why is it permitted to bring alcohol onboard or purchase in the onboard shop on the likes of the Majesty yet not on the all singing all dancing Platinum ships like the Dream and Celebration?:confused:

Have there been reports of this happening on the Celebration, i haven't seen any?

I think it is only happening on the Dream, although it could be a Caribbean thing, we don't know why they chose this particular ship as a trial, but that is what they say it is, a trial, hopefully it will not be carried forward.

I believe they chose the Dream in the Caribbean purely as less people have AI out there, if more people have AI, they would probably prefer them to drink their, or is that just me being cynical

Does anyone know if they do some 'drinks packages' on Dream in Carribbean? Doing the 27 nighter next April but the full drinks package was too expensive. Would like some beer packs for hubbie :) Thanks

Absolutely not at least not in Jan/Feb in the Caribbean this year. We'd had one on Majesty in May 2012 and again a similar one on Spirit in September 2012 so were looking forward to something being available on Dream. But there was nothing except the chance to buy into the AI package at something over £200 p.p./week.

If we do not get free AI we don't buy it as it wouldn't be worth it for us but we were more than happy to buy into a beer/wine package - and also would consider the hot drink one as well. If I could pay for it in advance that would be even better and I'm sure I'd buy more on board too. I know it's only psychological but to pay for a considerable amount of your drinks bill ahead would mean a lower on board account and I for one would probably then drink more on board knowing we're not building up a big bill at the end! (You can buy wine packages in advance on P&O - can't understand why Thomson aren't getting on board with this.)

I can see how it would be particularly attractive for your TA lovecruise - perhaps Thomson may have a change of heart by then! :)

Just dropped into this thread to read up on Thomson Cruises as we were originally going with Costa Cruises on a special deal (14 nt Cruise & Stay for £759 from Bham which was excellent value) until we found out that they allow smoking on board and I have an allergy to cigarette smoke so had to leave it. I was shocked to read that the A/I drinks package with Thomson is now £199 each !!!! Costa charge 19.5 euros per day each, so approx. 140 euros per week or £116, almost half the price of Thomson :eek:

If it weren't for the smoking issue I would have booked the Costa deal and I did look at Thomson because we went with them about 5 yrs ago and only paid £49 to add the A/I package to the cruise price. Now I see their prices are already about £400 more per cruise than the other "offers", so obviously they are going to lose very many passengers. I certainly would not be prepared to pay £1200 for a cruise & stay which is what we usually go for AND pay on top another £200 each for drinks. If we go out socially at weekends, we spend approx. £25 per night for both of us for drinks, so if you multiply that by 7, that is still only £175 for 2 people for a whole week, whereas Thomson are charging you over double :eek:

Sorry but they will not be getting my business. The drink prices on board liners are already extortionate and if you can't buy an A/I package at a reasonable price then we won't bother.

We are not alcoholics but we like to go A/I as this makes our budget easier to handle once we have paid for our drinks "upfront".

Think they are going to go out of business at that rate ! :rolleyes:

Just dropped into this thread to read up on Thomson Cruises as we were originally going with Costa Cruises on a special deal (14 nt Cruise & Stay for £759 from Bham which was excellent value) until we found out that they allow smoking on board and I have an allergy to cigarette smoke so had to leave it. I was shocked to read that the A/I drinks package with Thomson is now £199 each !!!! Costa charge 19.5 euros per day each, so approx. 140 euros per week or £116, almost half the price of Thomson :eek:

If it weren't for the smoking issue I would have booked the Costa deal and I did look at Thomson because we went with them about 5 yrs ago and only paid £49 to add the A/I package to the cruise price. Now I see their prices are already about £400 more per cruise than the other "offers", so obviously they are going to lose very many passengers. I certainly would not be prepared to pay £1200 for a cruise & stay which is what we usually go for AND pay on top another £200 each for drinks. If we go out socially at weekends, we spend approx. £25 per night for both of us for drinks, so if you multiply that by 7, that is still only £175 for 2 people for a whole week, whereas Thomson are charging you over double :eek:

Sorry but they will not be getting my business. The drink prices on board liners are already extortionate and if you can't buy an A/I package at a reasonable price then we won't bother.

We are not alcoholics but we like to go A/I as this makes our budget easier to handle once we have paid for our drinks "upfront".

Think they are going to go out of business at that rate ! :rolleyes:

To be fair to Thomson, and give a balanced reply, the £200 each for AI is the price on board, you can often get free, or reduced AI if you book early enough on most cruises (except Caribbean, they prefer to give OBC), i think even a month or so ago it was only £69 each for some late summer crusies for AI.

To be fair to Thomson, and give a balanced reply, the £200 each for AI is the price on board, you can often get free, or reduced AI if you book early enough on most cruises (except Caribbean, they prefer to give OBC), i think even a month or so ago it was only £69 each for some late summer crusies for AI.

That is not so bad, do you have to do that by booking direct with Thomson? Can other agents book the A/I for you ?

That is not so bad, do you have to do that by booking direct with Thomson? Can other agents book the A/I for you ?

Yes, a TA can book the AI for you. You can add it later as well although only at the price it was at the time of your booking or higher :(

Over the years I have established that my weekly drinks bill is around £100 so I would not consider buying an AI for more than that.

Yes, a TA can book the AI for you. You can add it later as well although only at the price it was at the time of your booking or higher :(

Over the years I have established that my weekly drinks bill is around £100 so I would not consider buying an AI for more than that.

Understandable. Each individual knows how much they spend each week so why pay more than that, although on a holiday perhaps one does drink a little more than normal ;)

Have there been reports of this happening on the Celebration, i haven't seen any?

Just back from the Celebration last Thursday. I didn't see any drink being confiscated but there was a notice to say that alchohol bought in their onboard shop would be delivered to cabins on the last night.

noooooo! within hours of booking myself onto celebration....I find out that they are doing this on celebration too!:(

Oh no! :(:( So it does look like a Thomson v Louis policy difference then - at least for now. But it begs the question............ Why?

So sorry Geo - but at least Mrs G will be thrilled with her surprise and all the more impressed with your sacrifice to go on Celebration! :D

Thanks for this info.

Definately does seem like a Thomson v Louis split not good :rolleyes:

I just dont understand why thoms are doing this

drinks packages on spirit/majesty not on dream/celebration

confiscating duty free on dream/celebration not on spirit/majesty

it should be the same across the fleet??

I would have thought that they would want to be filling up their platinum ships, or, do they think that the platinum tag will be enough of a draw??

all these little tweaks has made me think twice about sailing on the scream (oops! I mean dream)

I just dont understand why thoms are doing this

drinks packages on spirit/majesty not on dream/celebration

confiscating duty free on dream/celebration not on spirit/majesty

it should be the same across the fleet??

I would have thought that they would want to be filling up their platinum ships, or, do they think that the platinum tag will be enough of a draw??

all these little tweaks has made me think twice about sailing on the scream (oops! I mean dream)

Right 1st time geomagot :eek: Scream:eek:

It seems in many respects that the Louis managed ships are now offering better value for money than the 'Thomson' ones where they are hell bent on ruining the product with spurious platinum upgrades etc etc.

the reason these things are not happening on Louis ships is Thomson can't make them do it ;)

The british cruise lines are going crazy. P&o are hell bent on alienating customers and now Thomson too, oh! and Cunard as well

The different policies on different ships need sorting out, hopefully with the better one for customers being used. ;)

Lets face it, many Thomson cruisers probably don't realise that one, Thomson only lease their ships, and on the whole just paint the ships into their own branding, and two that they lease from two different companies so different policies operate depending on which ship you are on. Most cruisers would probably just expect the same rules, drinks package etc. to be on all ships, which would actually make more sense. :rolleyes:

The different policies on different ships need sorting out, hopefully with the better one for customers being used.

Lets face it, many Thomson cruisers probably don't realise that one, Thomson only lease their ships, and on the whole just paint the ships into their own branding, and two that they lease from two different companies so different policies operate depending on which ship you are on. Most cruisers would probably just expect the same rules, drinks package etc. to be on all ships, which would actually make more sense.

It's actually three different operating policies - Island Escape also cruises under the Thomson banner and their drinks menu seems to be different again.:eek:

It's actually three different operating policies - Island Escape also cruises under the Thomson banner and their drinks menu seems to be different again.:eek:

Yes, but don't forget, they have streamlined the drinks packages across the fleet :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

At this rate, we will be on the Dream on our own next year :eek:

Archived