Thomson confiscating your Duty Free

So just to be absolutely clear, and thank you Geomagot for #136...

1. We can buy ciggies at the onboard shop and take them back to the cabin.

2. We can buy ciggies ashore and take them on board.

Going on Sunday 7th April for 20 days. Can't wait!

thats great to hear dreamgirl, I know you will enjoy, the Caribbean truly is fabulous:cool:....you're doing all the right things....the key to enjoyment is to do the groundwork and go prepared….no nasty shocks/no disappointments

tc28, on the cigs....yep, you can buy ciggies ashore and take them onboard or buy duty free from the ship shop and take them away with you (at the moment) same with soft drinks....they may have a look at them at the gangway but as long as they are soft drinks they wont take them off you

Thomsons should now be telling people that if you go on their many excursions for wine tasting, rum distilleries, shops etc. where you are always encouraged to buy the local alcahol, that it will be confiscated as you board. I hope that they are also warning all these sellers that they take you to as well, that their sales will substantially reduce from tourists.

Will write a little review shortly on the cruise….apart from this and the bogof offers on shorex, nothing much has changed since I was last there at new year

BOGOFs on shore excursions? Can of worms...can you elaborate?

You think Thomsons are being unreasonable.

At least they are returning the drink they take from you.

Princess Cruises are now destroying all contraband drink you try to take aboard in luggage.

News posted on the other cruise forum.

You think Thomsons are being unreasonable.

At least they are returning the drink they take from you.

Princess Cruises are now destroying all contraband drink you try to take aboard in luggage.

News posted on the other cruise forum.

surely the taking of someone's legally acquired lawful property is a criminal offence in itself??....i.e 'theft & destruction of another's property without permission'

Going on Spirit tomorrow so will let you know what the situation is. Was going to buy some Malibu for the cabin but don't want to risk having to take it back in suitcase.. Cant wait for some sunshine:)

Have a brilliant time. I thought the Spirit was not affected.....so enjoy!:)

Geez,

You go away for a few days and come back to yet another Thomson stooshie.What next strip searching when you come back on board?

Having said that and i`m probably in the minority but surprised Thomsons hadn`t implemented this alcohol policy ages ago.For me Thomson allowing cruisers to bring on and keep alcohol bought on shore or in their on board shop was always open to abuse and I dont mean by those who like a cheeky wee dram in their cabin but by those who are probably drinking it around the ship in general during the day and in the bars at night....Personally this confiscation of drink bought on shore or in the shop doesn`t not affect me but have to feel sorry for the majority or cruisers it does affect who are not abusing the system because of a minority of who are.

Geez,

You go away for a few days and come back to yet another Thomson stooshie.What next strip searching when you come back on board?

Having said that and i`m probably in the minority but surprised Thomsons hadn`t implemented this alcohol policy ages ago.For me Thomson allowing cruisers to bring on and keep alcohol bought on shore or in their on board shop was always open to abuse and I dont mean by those who like a cheeky wee dram in their cabin but by those who are probably drinking it around the ship in general during the day and in the bars at night....Personally this confiscation of drink bought on shore or in the shop doesn`t not affect me but have to feel sorry for the majority or cruisers it does affect who are not abusing the system because of a minority of who are.

Morning Jim hope you had a good break!!

I agree with you here Jim, those who open a bottle in there cabin and have a few whilst getting ready to go out are doing no harm.

its the fill a bottle of coke with spirit and no one can tell ( bolllocks) if im drinking a soft drink or not in the bar or by the pool! are the ones who have caused this turn of events.

we have the AI and will use it fully without abusing it, and if we need a drink in our room will go to bar and get it!

regards

Carrs:D:D:D

Did you have a good holiday, Jim?

We did Nell thanks

Theres always a feeling of smugness when you see the weather back home(freezing and snowing)whilst sitting lapping up the sun :D

Morning Jim hope you had a good break!!

I agree with you here Jim, those who open a bottle in there cabin and have a few whilst getting ready to go out are doing no harm.

its the fill a bottle of coke with spirit and no one can tell ( bolllocks) if im drinking a soft drink or not in the bar or by the pool! are the ones who have caused this turn of events.

we have the AI and will use it fully without abusing it, and if we need a drink in our room will go to bar and get it!

regards

Carrs:D:D:D

Had a fine time carrs..thanks

Exactly what we have done/do.If we require a drink in our cabin we bring one back from the bar

You still counting the days?:D

we were on the majesty 22/3/13 till 29/03/13 we took a bottle of bacardi on board and had no problem, the cabin steward brought us ice each evening at 6pm so we could have a tipple before dinner, shame if they have changed the criteria since we left just last week.

We have always taken our duty free from the airport on board but rarely drink it as we are AI ....I usually send him indoors up to the bar for drinks while we get ready....I wouldn't normally have a problem with having my drinks back at the end of my cruise however as this year I intend to go on the IE ....I'm going to invest in some of those rum runners as I only drink Malibu as a short and that is one of the charged for things....I will drink cocktails in the evening so don't plan to smuggle my malibu up to the bars but would like to have the option of having it to drink in my cabin to save me some money....I don't think this is unreasonable do you

We have always taken our duty free from the airport on board but rarely drink it as we are AI ....I usually send him indoors up to the bar for drinks while we get ready....I wouldn't normally have a problem with having my drinks back at the end of my cruise however as this year I intend to go on the IE ....I'm going to invest in some of those rum runners as I only drink Malibu as a short and that is one of the charged for things....I will drink cocktails in the evening so don't plan to smuggle my malibu up to the bars but would like to have the option of having it to drink in my cabin to save me some money....I don't think this is unreasonable do you

Hi Tangobunny

When we where on lasy year Malibu was on the AI

regards

wolf7

Had a fine time carrs..thanks

Exactly what we have done/do.If we require a drink in our cabin we bring one back from the bar

You still counting the days?:D

OH you noticed, was I that obvious?

Oh I really liked Capt Torsten - he seems to be a real people person and I bet he's a good Capt to the crew too. Very personable and with a dry sense of humour (kindred spirits Geo!) :D

ah yes, our teutonic friend captain Torsten:cool:....really looked forward to his pre-sailing stories of his life at sea, I still haven’t figured out if he means to be so amusing?? his 'thoughts for the day' can be both poignant and hilarious at the same time....genius imo

Well this is going to affect the sales of duty free booze on the plane and in the shop on board isn't it. It personally won't bother us too much even though we don't have the drinks package and will settle the bill at the end of the cruise but sadly I am really excited about being able to have a hot drink in my cabin. Wonder if you buy fresh milk ashore they will take it off you. Do you think they will provide tea,coffee etc as well as the kettle.hello Jim how was the hotel and the weather?

There is tea, coffee and milk with the kettle. You have to pay for chocolate I think. When we asked for more milk we got three of the little pots. We like 2 each in our coffee so buying ashore for the fridge sounds attractive. I never thought of that, or we could take creamer like we do over here.

Where duty free is concerned, I don't think many will buy on the plane, providing of course they let you know you won't get it till you are flying home, and if their commission is affected I can't see them doing that. Same goes for the duty free on board. I hope they say before you buy that you won't have access to it on board.

There is tea, coffee and milk with the kettle. You have to pay for chocolate I think. When we asked for more milk we got three of the little pots. We like 2 each in our coffee so buying ashore for the fridge sounds attractive. I never thought of that, or we could take creamer like we do over here.

Are the little pots fresh milk or long life ? I don't like the long life.

Archived