May Day in Italy

Robroy

Just heard from Silverseas that our Amalfi Coast tour scheduled for May 1st has been cancelled. This is our port day on the Silver Spirit. No reason given but wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that traffic will be really busy on that day, which I understand is a national holiday in Italy.

We would hate to miss out touring the coast and wonder if anyone can suggest alternatives to a scheduled tour or will everything be too crowded? (Thinking of a return to Capri)

Thanks,

Rob

Your port is Sorrento, correct?

It would be very easy to get to Capri and back on your own, simply go to the marina and take a boat out, which takes about a half hour each way.

For the Amalfi Coast, you can also get a boat from the marina in Sorrento.

Yes, the coast will have a good crowd, but with May 1 being on a Wednesday it will not be as bad as when the holiday falls closer to a weekend. If you really want to tour the Amalfi Coast you should consider just booking a private excursion (often better then a cruise line cattle call excursion) and might be able to get together with some others on your CC Roll Call boards. Actually, the best way of touring the coast is in a car or van since buses are not permitted to enter into Positano. We also agree that going to Capri is an easy option to do on your own, but just be aware that if the weather is good Capri will be crowded on the holiday.

Consider that the most common reason for the cancellation of a tour is due to lack of interest. Silverseas passengers are very sophisticated travelers (many on your ship would have been to this part of Italy multiple times) and many will simply do their own thing or arrange their own tours.

Hank

Thank you Euro Cruiser and Hank for the quick replies! We've been to Capri years ago and really enjoyed it but were looking forward to the coastal tour this time. We may look into private transportation as there is a full day in port - just didn't want to be tied up in holiday traffic if it's going to be really busy.

Judging by reviews of the coast, we don't want to miss it!

Thanks again!

Rob

We will be in Rome on the afternoon and evening of May 1. Three questions please! Will we be able to check our bags at Termini? Will public transportation be running (especially Taxis to the airport)? Should we make a resv for dinner or will we be able to wonder into a place? Thanks for your help!

neverenoughtime--

Some things will be open. Public transportation should be running the holiday schedule.

check the atac.roma.it website for transportation info.

wantedinrome.com for expat info.

We will be in Rome on the afternoon and evening of May 1. Three questions please! Will we be able to check our bags at Termini? Will public transportation be running (especially Taxis to the airport)? Should we make a resv for dinner or will we be able to wonder into a place? Thanks for your help!

The left luggage office should be open (it's open seven days a week, no notation of any closures: http://www.romatermini.com/it/servizi/dettaglio/deposito-bagagli

Public transit will be running, but on reduced schedules. Taxis will be running, but there will be fewer of them and longer lines for them at the stations and airports.

I would make a reservation for dinner on a night like this, just as I would if I wanted to eat out at home on Mother's Day, or Thanksgiving, etc.

We were in Florence last year on may day. All of the museums were closed. If there is something in particular you want to see get on their website to see if they will be open. In our case I was able to book tickets online to the Santa Croce Church. We also got on a double decker sightseeing bus. All the shops & restaurants were also opened. It was still a wonderful day.

The left luggage office should be open (it's open seven days a week, no notation of any closures: http://www.romatermini.com/it/servizi/dettaglio/deposito-bagagli

Public transit will be running, but on reduced schedules. Taxis will be running, but there will be fewer of them and longer lines for them at the stations and airports.

I would make a reservation for dinner on a night like this, just as I would if I wanted to eat out at home on Mother's Day, or Thanksgiving, etc.

Thank you!

Archived