Travel Insurance

fla gang

Thanks firemanbobswife,

I've used Travel Guard Gold before, but have always included our airfare, pre-cruise hotel, rental car, and cruise fare. I did not realize that I may be over insuring our trip. I saw trip delay was included, but if I have to cancel the entire trip, would the non-refundable airfare be covered if I did not include it in my total coverage ? It may also be our age, as we are both over 60, a total of $5,000 coverage cost $355 with Travel Guard Gold or approx. 6%.

You're welcome!

The total price that I put in for each person was $1449.44. I don't include taxes or tips as those are considered refundable. Our ages are 42 and 38 so I have a feeling age probably plays a big factor in it too.

This time around my mom and I went with Insure Assist Travelcan Premier. It offers better coverage at a cheaper rate. It was $45 for me and I think around $55 for my mom but I don't remember. She is 63.

Wait.....wait....wait. Maybe I'm confused, but we purchased the trip insurance through Celebrity when we booked and thought that was just for if we had to cancel the trip before we got on the cruise. Is this medical insurance too? Or are you talking about a separate policy that is for medical purposes?

~ Shari

Wait.....wait....wait. Maybe I'm confused, but we purchased the trip insurance through Celebrity when we booked and thought that was just for if we had to cancel the trip before we got on the cruise. Is this medical insurance too? Or are you talking about a separate policy that is for medical purposes?

~ Shari

I've never gotten the cruise line insurance as it's usually more expensive and doesn't cover as much. You'll have to print out or look online to see exactly what it covers.

You may never need it, but if you don't have it and you have a medical emergency you will wish you had it. If you lost a close family member the day before departure and you didn't have insurance you are in trouble. Lost a close friend to cancer that had booked a 14 day Alaska with Princess. She had to canncel one week before departure. Her insurance was very expensive,but her trip was several thousand dollars and she got it all back.

My girl friend and I were booked on the NCL Epic for a Med cruise this past August 26 out of Barcelona. On July 28 I had an uncomfortable feeling on the right side of my chest so we went to the ER. Long story short, I had triple bypass surgery on July 31. Because I had insurance I was reimbursed for the entire cruise minus the insurance cost. (Don't want to think what would have happened if I had a heart attack at sea or in the middle of Pompeii.)

We are leaving for the same cruise on May 26. :)

Don't leave home with out it!

We are taking a Princess Alaska Cruisetour in June and found a policy with Travel Guard that waives pre-existing if purchased before final. It is a program called My Travel Guard and you can customize. I called and they were very helpful. Pricing was lower than CSA. We are in our 60's and have pre-existing conditions so the waiver was important. CSA also waives pre-existing if purchased before final or within 24 hr of final.

j

Unless you purchase explicit medical transportation insurance such as Med Jet or similar, travel medical insurance will transport you to the nearest facility offering medical care that meets international standards.

If you are on a cruise in the Caribbean, that may very well mean Puerto Rico, or if you are way at the bottom in the Southern Caribbean, perhaps a major city in Colombia (a country with excellent private medical care -- in fact, thousands of Americans flock to Colombia for medical treatments because it is much cheaper than in the United States).

If you are in the Med, you'll be taken to the nearest European port. Don't think you'll be airlifted to the United States at this point until you are treated in a local hospital and a determination is made concerning your condition and stability.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

You may never need it, but if you don't have it and you have a medical emergency you will wish you had it. If you lost a close family member the day before departure and you didn't have insurance you are in trouble. Lost a close friend to cancer that had booked a 14 day Alaska with Princess. She had to canncel one week before departure. Her insurance was very expensive,but her trip was several thousand dollars and she got it all back.

This is the first time we have bought insurance. We are going to the Panama Canal in November. That is a long time to bet that nothing will happen to prevent us from going on our cruise. We have spent a lot of money and as we get older the peace of mind about any health problems while we are gone is covered is worth the cost. It is a small price to pay compared to what it could cost if we got ill while gone or heaven forbid, before we go.

Archived