Driving from Atlanta to Port Canaveral-Need help

creeblee

So here's the skinny. My wife and I are sailing on the Dream on July 27th. Neither one of us can take Friday the 26th off from work and she works until about 10:30 pm.

Now here's where it gets tricky....My wife is terrified of flying. So basically our only option is to drive down the same day. This makes me very nervous (Traffic, accidents. etc.) The thought was to head down around 6 am... We live about half an hour north of Atlanta.

Cutting it too close? Any suggestions?

My worst nightmare would be to miss the boat!!:eek:

So here's the skinny. My wife and I are sailing on the Dream on July 27th. Neither one of us can take Friday the 26th off from work and she works until about 10:30 pm.

Now here's where it gets tricky....My wife is terrified of flying. So basically our only option is to drive down the same day. This makes me very nervous (Traffic, accidents. etc.) The thought was to head down around 6 am... We live about half an hour north of Atlanta.

I think it's do-able (is that even a word?) but I'd probably leave earlier than 6! I live 2 and half hours southeast of Atlanta and we are leaving around 6am for our cruise in June since we didn't want to burn an extra vacation day at work.

I would be comfortable leaving at 4 am. I could not help but think of all the things that could go wrong the whole drive:confused: if I was to leave

at 6.

I know it can be done but why chance it. Better to be safe than sorry.

I think you would make it, I agree with the pp about leaving earlier than 6am. Just to give yourself a little extra time. :) Have fun!

How many hours is it and what's the condition of the car. Don't forget to keep an eye on the weather. If rain/storms are due you're definitely going to have to miss out on some sleep.:o

The car is in good condition. Google maps says it is 7 and a half hours....

When I drive down to Ft. Lauderdale we leave at 4:AM. We live the east side of Atlanta usually getting into Ft. Lauderdale around 2:00PM. We stop for fuel and breakfast and lunch. We head straight down 75 and pick up the Florida Turnpike direct into Ft. Lauderdale.

Why not leave right after your DW gets home and drive part way . Get a few hours sleep along the way and then continue on.

No matter what do you'll still need 8 hrs (according to MapQuest) to go from Atlanta to Cocoa Beach ( 5 mi from port). You are looking at least 9 hrs plus some stops for gas & food.

If you hit Valdosta by 7:30A , there's a Denny's at Exit 401, not the best stop but could be quick. Several fast food places there too. (Your next selection won't be until lake City , Fl anothe rhour down the road) Then if you only stop at reststops or for gas, you should be in PC around noon. Do stop at the first toll plaza on the turnpike and pick up a sun pass (you'll need around $10 for the RT). Check the Park n Cruise parking just before the port. Good service, fast shuttle, very low price relative to the port itself. google park n cruise port canaveral for details and maybe a discount coupon.

Why not leave right after your DW gets home and drive part way . Get a few hours sleep along the way and then continue on.

No matter what do you'll still need 8 hrs (according to MapQuest) to go from Atlanta to Cocoa Beach ( 5 mi from port). You are looking at least 9 hrs plus some stops for gas & food.

I agree with above poster. Or better yet, drive all night, crash when you get on the boat!!

We are just east of Atlanta and have driven to PC numerous times several different routes. Since you will be coming I75 I would suggest you go I75 to I-10 east to Jacksonville pick up I-95 which takes you straight to PC. Same amount of driving time as going through Orlando but there are no toll roads.

Sounds like you are out of options, other than driving down.

Years ago, my late hubby and I used to visit family that were a 10 hour drive from us. We'd pack the car, he'd leave for work at 2pm or so, and I'd go to bed. He'd most often get off of work at 11pm. He would come home and we'd be on the road by midnight with me driving, him sleeping (he could sleep anywhere). We'd usually stop for breakfast around sun up and then he'd drive in the rest of the way. By the time we arrived, he'd at least be rested enough to enjoy the start of our visit and an afternoon nap would get him through the rest of day 1. Worked for us.

Archived