Tell us your butler stories!

cruisinsuz

A butler generally has between six and ten suites to look after, maybe more if they are the "budget" size. They generally all want stuff at the same time.

Even on the one occasion when we scored the top cabin on a Cunard boat, our butler was still looking after suites half way to the front of the ship. Nevertheless, she still managed to organise a party for a dozen people at short notice and conducted it during her normal afternoon break. We went out afterwards, came back and the cabin was pristine. I don't reckon that's bad service.

We've never asked for them to unpack, because to be frank it takes five minutes to do it yourself and you know where eveything is. We invariably do it quickly, go for a wander around and when we return the empty cases have been sorted and stowed away for us, which is much more hassle than the unpacking. I can't imagine a fussy packer wanting someone to unpack for them, but maybe I'm over-thinking it.

If anyone wants to sail the seas with the sort of butler service you might get on land if you were loaded, you need to have a go at MS The World. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_The_World and http://aboardtheworld.com/promo/brand-2013-1?gclid=CL3hvf2X3bkCFTMRtAodL3MAEQ

The Butler? He has to bring food, some afternoon tea, and be on stand-by for guests special requests. And when I read on this topic, what I read indicates the majority of suite guests do not make special requests of their Butler at all.

Here is what the website says they do:

Celebrity offers European-style butler service to guests in all suites. Enjoy assistance with packing and unpacking. Savor a full breakfast, lunch and dinner in-suite, if you choose. Take afternoon tea and nibble evening hors d'oeuvres. Sip complimentary espresso & cappuccino from your veranda. Put the finishing touch on your look with our shoeshine service. Relax with your favorite board game - delivered on request. Service designed to take pampering to new heights by covering all the details.

I think you have an extremely naïve view as to what a butler's responsibilities actually are. Yes, they are responsible for the above. I think the last line though says it all "Service designed to take pampering to new heights by covering all the details". The butler's responsibility it to make the guest happy and to do what they ask. I have read threads of people wanting formal sit-down dinners in-suite for a dozen or more people. I have read of people who had butlers who spent hours chasing down a pre-ordered flower arrangement that didn't show up in the room at embarkation. I've read about special food requests, special dinner reservation requests, help with excursion info and bookings, laundry problems, shoe-shinings and bar setup issues. And this is just the tip of the iceberg! And guess what? They have multiple cabins to take care of. Yes, some people do not make special requests of their butler (I am in that camp). However, let's admit it....some do and they can be time consuming I'm sure. We, as customers, also have no idea what the butler's job is on debarkation morning, so let's not assume that all the butlers are sleeping, lying back in a lounger somewhere sipping cappuccinos.

We have had 2 suites..one RS and one SS. One simply AMAZING butler and one average. I am not one that will say that all butlers are fabulous and amazing and all that good stuff. But I do think they deserve a little more credit than what you're giving them. We see one very small picture of their job, and I guarantee there is a lot more to it than any of us know.

Just my 2 cents.

Staffing same set up in a Suite. So Three for a Suite and Two for a Standard Cabin. What do you find to be the Butler's duties throughout the day?

The Room Steward takes care of the cabin, the butler takes care of you. Some people over use the Butler and make all kinds of ridiculous requests making it difficult to serve everyone. I can also guarantee you they serve more than 6 cabins. The Butler on our last cruise had to do double duty because one of the Butler's fell ill and missed the ship. It was a TA so no way to get a substitute. He had 21 cabins to care for on two different decks, so the average is about 10 or 11.

How many course by course lunches and dinners do you think one man can serve? How many reservations to be made, how many missing buttons to sew, how many shoes to polish, how many teas and coffees to serve, how many room service orders? How many laundry orders to take and deliver? Have you ever decided to have a cocktail party for 20 in your suite? How about the big shot who wants dinner for twenty in the Penthouse...of course served course by course. Who takes care of for that?

Oh, by the way, most room service in regular cabins is not done by the room attendants any more. They have runners who deliver the food.

I think you have an extremely naïve view as to what a butler's responsibilities actually are. Yes, they are responsible for the above. I think the last line though says it all "Service designed to take pampering to new heights by covering all the details". The butler's responsibility it to make the guest happy and to do what they ask. I have read threads of people wanting formal sit-down dinners in-suite for a dozen or more people. I have read of people who had butlers who spent hours chasing down a pre-ordered flower arrangement that didn't show up in the room at embarkation. I've read about special food requests, special dinner reservation requests, help with excursion info and bookings, laundry problems, shoe-shinings and bar setup issues. And this is just the tip of the iceberg! And guess what? They have multiple cabins to take care of. Yes, some people do not make special requests of their butler (I am in that camp). However, let's admit it....some do and they can be time consuming I'm sure. We, as customers, also have no idea what the butler's job is on debarkation morning, so let's not assume that all the butlers are sleeping, lying back in a lounger somewhere sipping cappuccinos.

We have had 2 suites..one RS and one SS. One simply AMAZING butler and one average. I am not one that will say that all butlers are fabulous and amazing and all that good stuff. But I do think they deserve a little more credit than what you're giving them. We see one very small picture of their job, and I guarantee there is a lot more to it than any of us know.

Just my 2 cents.

I see a trend by many that suggests to me that they would defer their own paid for pleasures in favor of worrying about what goes on with the staff behind the scenes. As though that is more important to why a product may not be delivered as reasonably anticipated. A sort of cut them some slack approach, they have so much to do.

That is a slippery slope because it allows for tolerance of shortfalls by the paying guests and it allows the cruiseline to maintain the status quo by keeping the bar set low. And the bar is set low because there is content in making excuses to justify the failures.

The only thing I realize is fairly well framed out is that the cruiseline is acutally not saying the Butlers will do anything more than what I have posted a short while back from their website. So I guess our asking for ice was indeed out of bounds and that was why that request was ignored both times.

Actually the ice is one thing the cabin attendants usually do. Since ice melts it's usually a good idea to request it when you're there. The Butler is serving tea about the time the excursions end. If it was a special request it should have been taken care of but sometimes things do happen. Sorry you were disappointed.

Edited by Ma Bell

I don't know personally about "those passengers". It sounds like you do. But what I do know about are "those posters" everywhere who seem to like to want to call people they disagree with liars and trolls.

Everyone else on this thread knows who "those" passengers are! You're the only one who doesn't? That speaks volumes right there.

You are right, though. Cabin attendants & their assistants work very hard. They're very visible, in & out of each cabin with their cart in the hallway, in the AM & again in the PM. Butlers, on the other hand, aren't quite as visible because they do lots of RUNNING AROUND for their guests. Lots of their work is done behind the scenes. As I noted earlier, sometimes their cabins aren't even on the same deck! They can be on 4 different decks! Just because you don't see your butler as much as you see the attendant doesn't mean they work any less hard.

Actually the ice is one thing the cabin attendants usually do. Since ice melts it's usually a good idea to request it when you're there. The Butler is serving tea about the time the excursions end. If it was a special request it should have been taken care of but sometimes things do happen. Sorry you were disappointed.

You seem to be misunderstanding. We asked for the ice bucket to be filled with fresh ice for our beverages on two separate days.

Our excursions were morning excursions so we were back at approximately mid-day and there was no collision of afternoon tea involved. It was a simple and straighforward request that if you are suggesting is not his job to execute, it certainly was his to ensure took place. We asked him directly, face to face for this to occur when we spoke at breakfast. For the second request, my husband and I both asked him since it seemed overlooked the time before and we wanted to be certain the message was completely understood.

It certainly was unfortunate so he did not get good marks on the comment card.

Is it possible to ignore ALL the posts of a specific poster? If so could someone please tell me how? :rolleyes:

Yes, DebbieMacG, as a matter of fact, there is a way to ignore any specific poster you may find annoying. Just go up to the top of the page, and click on User CP -- then scroll down until you see "edit ignore list". You'll be able to take it from there. Also, remember the red triangle, in the upper right-hand corner, if you feel that any particular post has crossed the line, so to speak, regarding CC community guidelines. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

I was in a royal suite on Eclipse, and the fresh flowers were 3 6" stems of alstromeria in a small jar, size of a rocks glass.

What does CC get?

In 2006 on Infinity, we got these.

proceserv.jsp?uid=1Abt2zVo0ZsY&rostate=67b0de21df393f5c05ee&co=-1&js=1379817044793&ps=1&rs=6

It is interesting for me to read these butler stories, as even when we had the services of a concierge, we did not make much use of her. She was there every afternoon with a pot of hot tea for me, as she learned early on that that was my wish. Otherwise, pleasant as she was, we did not call upon her much.

So I am learning what to expect when we (hopefully) book a suite this spring.

We will be easy to serve, as we aren't very demanding. But I would like to feel as happy about my acquaintance with my butler as some posters on this thread have felt, and if we don't ask much of our butler, I guess that probably won't happen... Strange dilemma to have...

Perhaps I should be the one of the very few passengers on this board who actually asks the butler to unpack for me! Then we would definitely be "up close and personal!" :o

Edited by SeagoingMom

Yes, DebbieMacG, as a matter of fact, there is a way to ignore any specific poster you may find annoying. Just go up to the top of the page, and click on User CP -- then scroll down until you see "edit ignore list". You'll be able to take it from there. Also, remember the red triangle, in the upper right-hand corner, if you feel that any particular post has crossed the line, so to speak, regarding CC community guidelines. :cool:

Thank you :)

Perhaps I should be the one of the very few passengers on this board who actually asks the butler to unpack for me! Then we would definitely be "up close and personal!" :o

For the ladies, I use a draw string lingerie bag. It works well for privacy concerns and it doubles on the return home as a bag for used items. Enjoy your cruise!

Reminder to those who seek packing & unpacking assistance, you must be present while the butler does it for you. I just don't see the excitement of sitting on my bed directing the butler where to put my stuff. I could do it myself in half the time certainly.

Of course there are mobility challenged people who can certainly use he assistance

This is probably the main reason not many use the packing/unpacking assistance.

It seems maybe of 10 or maybe fewer use this service based on casual reading here. But its up to the cruiser of course.

• 5 months later...
We also had Gene on Century. I had mentally noted all the perks of being in a Sky Suite and was eagerly looking forward to them. Disappointed not to find flowers in the 'suite'. When I mentioned it to Gene, he said, no, that's for Royal Suite and above. Couldn't believe I had to argue with him about it--then ended up with the same measly stems you get in CC. Silly me, expecting a bouquet. . .

He did get us reservations in Murano when I was unable to get them myself; other than that, not really meaningful to us.

We had the lovely Helen as a stewardess on Silhouette earlier this year; now SHE should be promoted to butler-ess!

Just returned from Silhouette I am not sure if it's the same Gene who is head butler but he was very very poor and had quite an attitude problem. The second week we had Arnel, he was in a different league, fantastic not OTT

Gene made out he had got me flowers when I asked where they were, we were in RS, only to present me with a chit to sign on the last night which showed they were a gift from elsewhere

My parents had a wonderful butler named Ricky when they had a RS on the Connie for our Baltic cruise. I was on the same cruise with a friend and we made sure we swung by my parents' cabin at 4 so we could enjoy the tea served by him! It was my 50th birthday on that cruise so we had a party with my new friends and Ricky helped set it all up.

He had been my parents' butler on a previous cruise too and they were thrilled to have him again. He really made a difference!

• 1 month later...

We had the worst Butler on the Millennium for Alaska. Every day we would ask him to please bring us lunch and dinner menus. He would say yes, yes and they would never come. So the next day we would ask again and he would say, yes, I am sorry they didn't have them yesterday but then again they wouldn't show. It was crazy and became a joke. So we didn't enjoy dining on our balcony at all. We asked him to make reservations at Blu for a particular night and he said no you just show up you don't need to. I told him I thought Suite guests did and he said no. So we show up and sure enough, the Blu manager said we needed to have checked ahead of time and I told him what our Butler said. The sad thing was this wasn't a new Butler. For breakfast one day, I wrote down that I wanted a smoothie and french toast with strawberry compote...he told us that was only for Aqua Class! It felt like he could do nothing we asked and they were simple requests. We are doing Alaska on the Solstice this summer and if I have the worst luck and he walks in I will cry. I just want to enjoy breakfast and dinner a couple of times on our balcony...

Our butler Patrik on the Connie was awesome. I forgot to get a shirt pressed for dinner so at 2 PM I asked if I could get it done and have it before 6 PM - done. Breakfast on the balcony, done and right on time. We did not ask for much but anything we did ask for was done perfectly.

I am reading this thread and I don't get the whole butler thing.

I am pretty self sufficient and don't need people catering to my every need or doing things for me and I grew up in an environment like that. Having a stranger go through my clotes is just not what I want. I can make my own reservations and get my own food and probably do it better.

We just returned from our cruise on the Reflection. On our cruise last May we had a butler by the name of Damion. We thought the he was the best butler one could ever have. He also did things beyond what anyone could ask for.But after the Reflection cruise we had a butler by the name of Norman who was just as good as Damion. Both times the butlers did everything they could possibly do to make our cruises enjoyable. I think that it depends on how you treat them. When some people are in a suite they seem to feel an entitlement to all their demands. If one ask in a polite manner and ask if it us possible to do so they both did everything that we asked of them. We asked for tickets to see Sin City and he got them for us. People that we made friends with said that they could not get them so we asked Norman and he had them that evening. He knew that I would enjoy breakfast on the balcony but since my husband does not eat breakfast he suggested to him that he would serve him coffee and pastries and told me to order what ever I wanted even if it was not on the list. So I ordered eggs Benedict. Well would you not know that my husband enjoyed it so we did it again the next morning. My husband told him he did not like the appetizers that they served and he ask him what he would like. We received shrimp cheese plus I asked for celery and carrot sticks and dip. He delivered the Canadian and American news paper every day. He even made me a camel towel and two love birds. He brought me coffee when I asked for it at his suggestion. And they helped make our cruises priceless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had the worst Butler on the Millennium for Alaska. Every day we would ask him to please bring us lunch and dinner menus. He would say yes, yes and they would never come. So the next day we would ask again and he would say, yes, I am sorry they didn't have them yesterday but then again they wouldn't show. It was crazy and became a joke. So we didn't enjoy dining on our balcony at all. We asked him to make reservations at Blu for a particular night and he said no you just show up you don't need to. I told him I thought Suite guests did and he said no. So we show up and sure enough, the Blu manager said we needed to have checked ahead of time and I told him what our Butler said. The sad thing was this wasn't a new Butler. For breakfast one day, I wrote down that I wanted a smoothie and french toast with strawberry compote...he told us that was only for Aqua Class! It felt like he could do nothing we asked and they were simple requests. We are doing Alaska on the Solstice this summer and if I have the worst luck and he walks in I will cry. I just want to enjoy breakfast and dinner a couple of times on our balcony...

We are the millennium this summer and will have butler service. Who did you have as a butler, if you feel comfortable sharing the name?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are the millennium this summer and will have butler service. Who did you have as a butler, if you feel comfortable sharing the name?

I was trying to remember his name but can't think of it.

As far as the other person discussing people feeling entitled...We are always super nice to staff and I always bring goodies/gifts on top of tipping extra because I understand they work hard. So I don't think "entitlement" was ever a factor with us. Asking for a dinner menu so we could enjoy the suite perk of dining on our balcony in Alaska isn't too much to ask for.

I would say no one should judge on people's choices for staterooms. There are some that save money for years to take that special cruise in a suite for a special occasion only to receive judgment for being excited about the perks they receive. Everyone has choices. That's what makes cruising so wonderful. Unlike some 5 star hotels that will only cater to those who can afford it, cruising allows for a variety of price ranges for all budgets, with relatively the same experience.

We have had great butlers. On Galaxy, Connie (2x's same cabin, Equinox and Sil and now on EQ again in June. We are not high maintenance. Or demanding and the butlers couldn't have been more helpful. Last year we did a pre- cruise with 8 others and invited them back to our RS for a birthday happy hour! We had bar set up, a lovely cake, large shrimp platter and much more. It was fabulous.

Our butlers have made reservations for us at the spa, specialty restaurants and such.

It is a wonderful perk!

Nelson, Jonathan, Salvio and Isabelo. Were all wonderful!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app - My next cruise - Equinox - B2B 6/2014