What's the real difference?

gkrnjlr

We're trying to decide whether or not we want the Guaranteed Inside State Room or the Guaranteed Oceanview Room.....They're not that much difference in size. I know that the oceanview room will have a window, but is it one that people can walk by and see in our room?

Is there really that much of a difference to pay the extra?

Not sure if it matters, but this is the RC Sov. of the Seas.

We're trying to decide whether or not we want the Guaranteed Inside State Room or the Guaranteed Oceanview Room.....They're not that much difference in size. I know that the oceanview room will have a window, but is it one that people can walk by and see in our room?

Not sure if it matters, but this is the RC Sov. of the Seas.

It's not really the size that usually matters to people who have a preference. It's the natural light that you get in an oceanview room. Some cruisers have to have the natural light. In addition, they also like to be able to look outside to check out the weather and any other sights.

Personally, I am lucky that my traveling companion very much prefers an inside cabin because she sleeps much better in total darkness. So, we're able to book the cheapest guarantee on a ship and we're happy.

Nobody can see in your room on an oceanview. We enjoyed having it for the natural light and also we saw a couple of neat things from our window. An inside probably would have been fine too, depending on the iternary.

A good thing to keep in mind if you are cruising to Alaska is that it is almost always light there in the summer. An inside would be better if you need total darkness to sleeep, but a window would be cool if you think that it would be neat to see sunlight when you wake up for your middle of the night potty run.

but I think, on Carnival atleast (just based on my observation, I dont' have any exact figures), that the oceanview rooms have quite a bit more square footage than inside rooms. and though we weren't hermits, we did spend quite a bit of time lounging in our rooms.

We did an inside cabin and it was okay, but we're really looking forard to our balcony cabin. It was hard waking up in the morning and not being able to take a quick peek outside at the weather. Sometimes I found it hard to tell if we were moving or not, in port or not, and if it was day or night if you don't have a clock.

I have done a number of cruises...and have stayed in inside cabins, window cabins, balcony cabins and suites...Our last two cruises, we were in a Suite in Alaska on the Summit and an oversized balcony on the Constellation in the Southern Caribbean...Next month, we are going back to an inside on the Constellation in Northern Europe...

My general take is that I don't really care what cabin I'm in as long as I'm on the ship...

But, in all seriousness, here's my detailed analysis:

Most ships I have been on, the STANDARD inside and outside cabins are IDENTICAL in square footage...and standard veranda cabins are usually only about the same size or slightly larger...but have the added square footage of the balcony plus the large sliding glass door gives the room a much larger feel...You typically only get more square footage going to an oddball corner or forward or aft cabin or to a Suite...

Suites are the best of all, but with that comes a hefty price...Book one if money matters little to you or if it's really a special occasion or if you're the sort who spends most of your onboard time in the solitude of your own cabin ordering room service and such...

Balconies are great...especially if you like to spend time in your cabin...If you are claustrophobic, I suggest skipping that outside with that tiny window that doesn't open anyway adn going to the balcony cabin where you can open the sliding door wide and walk out to the fresh air...Of course, there's anb added cost here as well...I usually check the price differential increment...if it's a slight additional cost, I'll go for the balcony...if it's a large step up, I'll save the money for something else instead...

Window or "Outside" cabins can be sort of a waste...You don't get any more room, you are typically relegated to a lower deck, the window is typically small, but you end up paying a bit extra...One type of outside to consider, though, are those larger forward outsides you get on some ships...like the Category 4s on the Celebrity M-Classes...up in the front of the ship on the upper decks, because of the shape and configuration of the ship, some of them are as large as the suites...but the price is only a drop more than the standard-size outsides...

Insides: Ahhh...here's the deal...Ever see the old Motel 6 ad where Tom Bodet is talking but the screen is totally black...and he says, "here's what our room looks like at night when you're sleeping"...and then he says..."and this is what the other chains' rooms look like at night when you're sleeping"? Yeah, at night, there's absolutely no difference between an inside cabin and an outside cabin...You are not going to order room service in an "outside" cabin...there's no balcony, no real place to sit and eat...Chances are, you are not going to spend that much time in your room...There's all that stuff happening out on the public decks or you're in port...or in the Dining Room or up at the pool...or in the showroom...If it's an at sea day, it's not like you're going to stand at the little window and admire the tiny view of the ocean...If you want to relax and enjoy the view, there are plenty of public lounge areas with open railing or full length windows and with comfortable chairs...

You are only using your cabin to sleep, change clothes and use the bathroom...Who needs a window?

The only thing you need to remember is to arrange for a wake-up call each morning...

Remember, all of the cabins visit the same ports, eat the same food, see the same shows...and you just saved $300 to $2000 you can use on shore excursions or tours...or on a couple of days pre-cruise stay...or on a bar bill or shpping in port...

On Sovereign there is a walkway outside the windows on deck 7 (F1 cabins) so people can see inside your cabin. You will want to keep the curtains closed if you are changing clothes, etc. The F1 cabins on deck 6 do not have a walkway outside. The outside cabins on the other decks also do not have the walkway outside.

If privacy is an issue, you may want the inside cabin or else figure the difference between the outside guarantee (in case you end up on deck 7) and a lower deck window (deck 2 or 3) and see if it's worth it to you to book a cabin.

For me, I would either book and inside or a balcony. I don't care about having a window.

On SOS, the inside and outsides are pretty much the same size, that being small. However, they have always been just fine for me and I have cruised on her a dozen times.

It is a short cruise so I would spend the money on something other than a window.

CG

It really does boil down to personal preference. There are those who will not cruise if they can't get a balcony or better.

We always book insides and have been upgraded to OV a couple of times. OV is nice but, to us, not worth the extra money.

Charlie

but I think, on Carnival atleast (just based on my observation, I dont' have any exact figures), that the oceanview rooms have quite a bit more square footage than inside rooms. and though we weren't hermits, we did spend quite a bit of time lounging in our rooms.

Insides and outsides same sq. ft 185, gotta go Balcony and up to get bigger. 185 is more than adequate. Most Lines other than HAL normal rooms about 140sq. ft. RCCL and NCL have a lot of small rooms, big ones too but much more expensive. :cool:

Archived