What Did You Never Take Out Of Your Suitcase??

kendy

Also wanted to let you all know that we really do have stores here, so don't think you have to pack for surviving in the wilderness. Regarding duct tape: it is an Alaskan Staple Item and I believe picking up a roll here would make a nice souvenir!

The dress code suggest Dark Suit or tux for men and cocktail dress for women

Sounds like a sport coat would not meet this criterion. Personally, now that neck ties are worn with tuxes, I don't understand the issue of a sport coat with a tie vs. a suit with a tie vs. a tux with a tie. There are tux shirts with buttons (vs. studs). Perhaps the reason is that there are some pretty wild sport coats out there, and rather than try to define what is a “tame” vs. “wild” sport coat, they just ask that you not wear sport coats in lieu of a dark suit / tux.

If you don't wish to dress in that manner, then there are alternatives, just not the main dining rooms.

It’s like asking people not to talk at the movie theater, or to turn off their cell phones, or to leave the table if they must speak on the cell phone. It’s just a courtesy to the others. Certain norms are requested for certain venues. They are published in advance, and I find it interesting that those who don’t like them ask if coming up just a little short would be OK. Well, would it be OK for your employer to pay you just a little less next payday because he did not want to pony up what you were expecting? Are you tired of me rambling on and on about this? Good, I’ll shut up now.

I think a nice sport coat with tie would be perfectly fine. To me, the point is "dressing up". A nice cocktail dress for the lady and a nice navy coat with grey pants and a tie for the guy is OK with me. The cruise book uses the term "includes" when referring to tuxes/suits which implies other things are acceptable. They also state things that are NEVER acceptable which would rule out most outlandish things opposed by many posters on here.

Having said that, we normally "do" gown for her and tux for him, but I would not be at all offended by someone in a dark sport coat and tie! Blue jeans though are another matter.

And for Alaska in a few weeks? Well, let's just say I might offend a few!

We didn't use our walkie talkies at all. Somehow we knew where everyone migrated to or didn't worry about it but if I had teens I may still bring it.

Also didn't really need the hairdryer. All places had them on both the land and cruise tours. Didn't use two of the three pairs of shorts. One was more than enough in July for both the cruise and land portions but I live in the south. I had a pair of Columbia pants that converted to shorts that really was great.

Didn't wear two hats I brought because I found new ones to wear in the many stores!

Didn't wear my swimsuit but I could have and my Mom did. Just hard to get in a swimming mood when it's cool out for me - we have our own pool though so I can do this at home.

Tip - plan on buying at least one fleece, one sweatshirt, two t-shirts and if you like baseball hats at least one of those and don't pack that stuff from home. You'll be able to fit your new aquisitions in your suitcase that way.

Didn't pack enough white socks and needed at least three pairs of hiking socks (if you have hiking boots).

I think so much depends on the weather you get and that can vary all over the place...we have friends who left on their cruise July3rd and they had a fair amount of rain...we learned recently that our rain jackets are water resistant, but not water proof so we've ordered new ones. My friend wishes she had taken slippers for lounging about her cabin and regrets not taking a hat for glacier viewing on the deck. In her words, the temperature "drops like a stone" when you near the glaciers.

some of the clothes - less is more!!!!! I never use them all -especially I plan outfits for dinner every night and I never am in the mood to dress for dinner after travelling/gettinng settled all day the first day.

Well, we took everything out and put it away in closets and drawers, but we never used the extra pair of sneakers we took in case one pair got wet. That was a big deal, as there were 4 of us and we all have big feet. We also never used the hats and gloves we dragged along.

What I didn't take and definitly missed were my favorite pair of sandals for sea days.

We did leave our balcony door open all night last year in Alaska, the first time by accident. We had been on the balcony and laid down for "just a few minutes", woke up about 3am with the door still open, it was marvelous. No bungee cord needed, the door was a slider.

Half of the shoes I packed and most of the "smart casual" wear. This cruise was more informal than any other I've taken, maybe because it was Alaska. We did use our bug spray and rain gear on the land protion of the cruise tour. Though we only had one rainy day. One thing I took off my original packing list and ended up buying was a pair of beach thongs.

Do you mean sandals 4_1_72.gif

• 8 months later...

Thanks Tangerinebunny, This is a very informative thread. Now I'm beginning to question whether or not I should really bring two pairs of sneakers/hiking boots. I never wear sneakers at home, so I doubt I'll use them much while away. If they do get wet, I'll have to stand around drying them with the hairblower though:eek:

Did anyone bring hot chocolate mix and are you glad you did? We thought it would be nice to have on the balcony.

We brought it, and also our own favorite flavor tea bags...but never used them.

Amanda

Did anyone bring hot chocolate mix and are you glad you did? We thought it would be nice to have on the balcony.

Carnival has hot chocolate on the Lido deck 24/7. You would have to go up there anyway to get hot water if you bring your own mix.

500,000 of the 1,000,000 pairs of shoes! Never again. There were some I never touched! I had heard re: bungee cords & duct tape for cords/wires & holding open your door to balcony. Took 1 bungee cord & didn't have to use & we kept our balcony door open all nite w/o problems. Didn't need extra extensions/plugs/etc. There is a hair dryer in all the cabins, I have short hair so I don't drag it with. One thing we really liked, we have a small clock w/a touch lite on it - great for in the cabin to see w/o turning lights on. Glad took a SMALL first aide kit w/a tweezers. Suitcases are lighter & less full now than in the past!

Carnival has hot chocolate on the Lido deck 24/7. You would have to go up there anyway to get hot water if you bring your own mix.

Going Princess. I don't know if we can order hot choc via room service, but I bet we can order hot water since you can order tea.

Archived