MDR. ever notice the glasses...

fishycomics

So it's Dinner time. Head down, seated, Menus come, Bread is on the table. grab a slice, touch the wine glass, water glass....

We are deciding what to get. we wait for our waiter, our assistant waitress comes over, takes our order for drinks, We say Ice tea...

The Wine host comes over, we say no thank you. bout 30 seconds later the wine waiter/waitress comes over and asks again. And we nod no.

The wine glasses that we touched, now get taken off our table, and then placed on to the next table.

Have you ever noticed this on the cruise at MDR, glasses being placed again, where they really should go back to the dishwasher station.

What if I did not wash my hands?

What if I licked the glass?

What if I sneezed?

do you think this should be addressed or ....

My pet peeve is the flatware. I've seen people finish their salad, lick off the fork so it looks clean, and instead of leaving the dirty fork on the salad plate, place it on the table with the rest of the unused utensils. Same for the soup and other courses. When it comes time for the main course, either the waiter or his assistant picks up all the supposedly unused utensils and put them back in the clean drawer. :eek:

Okei I am slightly off topic but I have have a huge issue with people who lick their fingers after eating and then return to pick up more food from the buffet. :eek: I don't think they even realise they do that...:rolleyes: You have no idea how much I use hand sanitizer each time after I have picked up food from the buffet...:cool:

one time, I was in the MDR and they knew the people next table over won't be there. They took all the not necessarily glasses, plates and left it there until they have time to move them to the back. They completely gut everything out for the next setting. The waiter, waitress are not the one doing dishes, so they do not care.

You know...there r those that go thro life just looking for reasons to be picky. Any excuse, however trivial just to whinge or complain. Its as if When they retire or don't work they have little to do so it becomes a new reason to live. They are the ones to move away from.

Guess what. They do the same with the table ware...if your not using the complete range they remove knives and forks. What happens to the bread you don't eat from the basket...do they brush it off and put it in your neighbors basket. What about the butter if you don't use it all...do they scrape all the bowls so they have enough to make a complete pat and re-serve it.

Who CARES?

When you read thread threads like this and many other inane ones in this forum you come to understand the reviews that take the most mirror irritate or issue and turn it to a reason that you shouldn't sail..or the cruise line has falling standards...or it's not like it used to be on the SS Minnow in 1967 with its teak promenade and white gloved coolies that would wipe you posterior after going to the toilet...the sort of people who must pack a black light and a magnifying glass and crawl around their stateroom floor to find that little 3 mm pubic hair stuck between the wall and cupboard....

Life is too short.....

........and you find if you expose you body to a bit of this planets germs you build an immunity to many small infections so touching glasses doesn't matter....instead of living in a bubble which given our evident need to spray everything with 99.9% good and bad bacteria killer spray every time we go to touch something foreign is likely a reason many now suffer from gastro and the like more often...

Sometimes it is just better not to think too much about something.

I read somewhere where someone used the ice bucket to vomit in and now I will not use a ice bucket without some kind of liner in it. Always hide the toothbrush also :).

...The waiter, waitress are not the one doing dishes, so they do not care.

I read a book about a waiter on another cruise line, might have even been RCCL. In any event they mentioned that there were frequent shortages of plates, silverware and glasses and that the waiters sort of hoarded these so they'd be sure to have them available for the next seating and wouldn't have to stand by the dishwashers and hunt them down at busy times.

The wine glasses that we touched, now get taken off our table, and then placed on to the next table.

Have you ever noticed this on the cruise at MDR, glasses being placed again, where they really should go back to the dishwasher station.

Hi Fishycomics,

I've been on dozens of Celebrity Cruises, and never saw that happen. Each time, the glasses were taken away, not put on another table. Can't see how they would be placed on another table, as all tables are set with Wine Glasses prior to the start of the Dining service.

That was what I observed, I did not cry wolf. Yes I do take notes of the fork, knife taken away and replaced. I do like just relaxing and enjoying the scenery, and noticing what's around me. then star at the table.

you guys area a riot:D lets see when our guests check in that have or not observed this....

So it's Dinner time. Head down, seated, Menus come, Bread is on the table. grab a slice, touch the wine glass, water glass....

We are deciding what to get. we wait for our waiter, our assistant waitress comes over, takes our order for drinks, We say Ice tea...

The Wine host comes over, we say no thank you. bout 30 seconds later the wine waiter/waitress comes over and asks again. And we nod no.

What if I did not wash my hands?

What if I licked the glass?

What if I sneezed?

do you think this should be addressed or ....

I guess my question would be: If you're not going to use the wine glasses, why in the world are you touching them???

Hi Fishycomics,

I've been on dozens of Celebrity Cruises, and never saw that happen. Each time, the glasses were taken away, not put on another table. Can't see how they would be placed on another table, as all tables are set with Wine Glasses prior to the start of the Dining service.

Not just X, that's what I have noticed on any ship.

There have been a few times I have watched unused glasses placed on an empty table, but before the night is over that entire has also been "broken down" with everything being treated as used even though it was all clean.

For the most part I have to say the cleanest and most sanitary conditions I have ever seen are on cruise ships. Sure, crew members will sometimes make a mistake (don't we all) but for the most part I'd bet the ship is cleaner than some popular land based restaurants! (Don't believe me take a galley tour, they are spotless!)

My pet peeve is the flatware. I've seen people finish their salad, lick off the fork so it looks clean, and instead of leaving the dirty fork on the salad plate, place it on the table with the rest of the unused utensils. Same for the soup and other courses. When it comes time for the main course, either the waiter or his assistant picks up all the supposedly unused utensils and put them back in the clean drawer. :eek:

Sorry to dissagree but I am a chef with 15 years experience and the one thing that is drummed into all service staff from when they start is that once any item, food, dish or glass has left the kitchen it must be disposed of or sanitised.

Sorry to dissagree but I am a chef with 15 years experience and the one thing that is drummed into all service staff from when they start is that once any item, food, dish or glass has left the kitchen it must be disposed of or sanitised.

That is what is supposed to happen, but from my observations, with regard to silverware, that doesn't always happen. The unused silverware at your place setting should be sent back to the kitchen to be cleaned, but that's not always the case. If the waiter thinks it's clean/unused, he will put it back in their drawers as clean silverware.

Tell that to the waiter that took the charger plates away, wiped them with a towel, and put them away.

Or tell it to the buffet employee that took 1/2 filled cups from the drink line at the buffet that people left behind, poured out the contents, swished hot water from the coffee machine in them, then put them back into service.

I witnessed both these events multiple times on my first & last CCL cruise.

Too many times education doesn't lead to proper practices.

There was one that agreed with me. yes?

Why I touch a glass, to keep things near me, those dam chairs are hard to push. request a cushion please? :D

This is what I do not do for a living, observing :rolleyes: and this was what I noticed and got me thinking if any other person noticed this?

Each night, that was what happened. host comes up, walks away like super fast because no sale. next wine host repeats and grabs the glasses, and places, on table because that table did not have a set?

I would not tell the head host, my glass was taken away, I licked it, and I get a new one, while my original is floating out there....

Why would I touch my glass I touch my glass. Why ? Free falling

I guess my question would be: If you're not going to use the wine glasses, why in the world are you touching them???

Exactly what I was thinking. If I am not going to use a glass, silverware - I'm not going to touch it. I just can't take this seriously.

A little off topic but along the same line...one of my pet peeves is when checkout people lick their thumbs...or other fingers to open cellophane bags at the grocery or folks reading a public magazine or newspaper and use their saliva moistened fingers to turn pages. I am sure it is a mindless habit but...Eeeeeewwwwww!

Archived