Highlights of santiago tour

RDMOREU

We will be doing a Rio/Valpariso sailing.

Since we've decided to spend a few days in Ocenaia's post hotel in Santiago, we are being given a tour entitled "HIGHLIGHTS OF SANTIAGO".

Because we'd also like to hire a local guide for the other time we're in Santiago, we've been trying to find out just what Oceania's tour includes. Does anyone have any information? TIA

I just got back from Santiago and Valpariso. and to be frank there is not a lot to see. Santiago is a huge non descript city about the size of LA and spread out even more. Most days the smog is so thick you cant even see the mountains (I was at the Marriott on an upper floor) and the traffic in a nightmare

I took a transfer/tour from Santiago to Valpariso and it was pretty blah.. Valpariso was a collection of shanty town shacks in what is a rather dirty seaport town. We were take to the #1 hotel above town and it was a sad place run down and worse. Someone told me it was "quaint and charming", terms that are used I have found to gloss over less than nice things. It gave me the creeps.

I would save my money for something more enjoyable along the way, like in Ushuea.

Your comments are interesting because we were there in January 2002 and enjoyed the city very much. We found lots to do in the three days we had (one day in Vina del Mar, two in Santiago). We pretty much went around on our own except that we did hire a guide for our day in Vina, and took a half day city tour arranged by our hotel when we arrived in Santiago.

Of course, it appears that the Pre-Columbian Art Museum is still closed and that was one of the places we enjoyed the most.

Another visit that was a high point was to the Palacio Cousinho, which used to be a private home.

A neighbor of mine just returned from a visit to Santiago a couple of days ago and they also enjoyed the city although they did comment on the increased crime there.

Won't argue about the smog. Even 11 years ago, that wasn't good. Not as bad as Beijing, but still bad.

Mura

The underground system there is very clean and easy to understand. We took it to the end of the line (eastward) to a beautiful little church with a fabulous market area with over 100 local artisans...I think it was Santo Dominique...or something close. (lots of copper jewelery...Chile is known for it's copper)

You do have to take the warnings re crime...we were at one of the major scenic/tourist spots and I had a young man come up and grab my arm (trying to get my watch) and he got an inexpensive gold braclet instead...thank goodness because it is my Mom's watch from our first trip to Europe in '68!! So do not wear rings, watches, braclets or even necklaces out.

The central town square was interesting and they do have a HOHO bus...also a great central market. Also you can take wine tours out into the wine growing area of Chile...they do have some good reds.

Re Valpariso....we took a transfer arranged by other CC members and found the city delightful. Multiple color buildings, high on a hill, over looking the Pacific! There is a home of a very famous poet/author there that you can tour...who figured quite a bit in politics of Chile as well.

If you need more specifics (I'm doing this off the top of my head) let me know and I'll pull Kenneth's diary...he records ALL that we do and I can give you more specifics (names, etc) with that in hand.

We enjoyed both cities....just be cautious. LuAnn

In reference to crime Santiago has the least of any city we visited last month. Buenos Aires and Rio were off the scale Lima so-so Southern Chile Patagonia were the safest.

It seemed that starting at Cape Horn the further north you traveled the worse it got. Just an observation.

As of late there is high inflation, unemployment, strife and political problems that are producing problems at a rapid rate.

Since we've decided to spend a few days in Ocenaia's post hotel in Santiago, we are being given a tour entitled "HIGHLIGHTS OF SANTIAGO".

Because we'd also like to hire a local guide for the other time we're in Santiago, we've been trying to find out just what Oceania's tour includes. Does anyone have any information? TIA

I highly recommend Leonardo Cuzmar for a local guide in Valparaiso

Vina del Mar and Santiago. We stayed 3 days in an apartment owned by Hotel Orly which was wonderful. I would suggest booking your own post cruise hotel..it will save you Huge amount of money. Leonardo can transfer you from Valparaiso with wine tours along the way if you are so inclined. Check him out on Trip Advisor. He is extraordinary.

HawaiiDan: We totally enjoyed Santiago..to each his own I suppose. My only caveat would be not to arrive at the airport before 6:30 pm for your flight home as the check in counters are not open and there are NO chairs to sit. We stood in line for over 2 hours with hundreds of fellow passengers moaning and groaning. Not pretty.

We loved Valparaiso and Santiago. We second the vote for Leonardo Cuzmar.

He gave us a wonderful tour (part walking) of Valparaiso. Then a Casbalanca Wine Tour. The next day a tour of Santiago (which in our humble opinion was a beautiful city). Then, for a very reasonable rate took us from our hotel to the airport for our return.

Leanordo was an outstanding guide (I believe was a former A&K tour guide before striking out on his own). A plus: rates were very reasonable. Go for it! You won't be disappointed.

Valparaiso has a free walking tour that is excellent. It was designed by Al Ramirez and some of his friends. Al is also an excellent guide and we saw lots of interesting things in Santiago with him. He also picked us up at the airport and drove us to our hotel. We did a winery tour with him on our way to Valparaiso and as he now is a wine commisieur (sp??) he gives excellent insight into the Chilean wines. Yes, you do have to watch out for crime but take your usual precautions. Don't west any expensive jewellery and you will be fine. They just don't target tourists. There was a newscast while we were there last year and they were telling people not to keep their purses or briefcases etc on the seat beside them in a car, keep the windows closed, etc. This advice was being given for locals as well as tourists.

I really appreciate everyone's responses. Will have some surgery tomorrow and probably won't be back to CC for 3-4 weeks; but,I'll make sure to try and catch up on this excellent advice! CC's are great and we really think that all the response are so informative and helpful!!

Archived