COLOGNE: Roman-Germanic Museum

SOShrink

In a few weeks, our ship will stop in Cologne for the day. They feature a walking tour of the city followed by a visit to the Romisch-Germanisches Museum to see Roman glass and antiquities. Has anyone been to this museum? I consider myself educated and very interested in history. But I can't help but feel like we are being dragged to a high school type field trip. With our brief amount of time in Cologne, could they not have found something more exciting to take us to? It is not even the most popular museum in Cologne. If somebody has been to that museum as part of a ship's excursion, please prove me wrong and make me have a better attitude about this!

Lindt Chocolates has a great museum right on the river not far from where your ship will dock (no doubt). We loved going thru it and bought lots of munchies to bring home for friends and family.

Koln is a great city and we loved the Dom (remains of the 3 Kings?) and the Lindt museum. We too like art and history but not necessarily on a vacation. Go have a few kolsch beers and experience the culture of today. Have fun!

We did the included city walking tour in Cologne then walked around on our own, loved sitting having coffee people watching..loads of great shops, arcades and shopping malls...ladies shoe shops were plentiful and reasonably priced too -:)

The Lindt chocolate museum is closed mondays...the day we were there..shame but the dock are is great to be walking around anyway, thats where the museum is.

The cathedral is absolutely magnificent and a must see...but a very busy meeting place outside tho, seems like crowds of people all the time.....beware of pick pockets..we were nearly knocked over by one making a run for it. We were warned often and there are signs around too.

We found so much to do and see around the city..but didnt go into any of the many museums there, so cant comment on them...but there is plenty to see without going to them.

We bought quite a few gifts for family and friends there..4711...Lindt chocs...jewellery and books..good shopping.

Deb

We went to the museum and I thought that it was quite nice. Didn't spend too much time inside. You can always leave and walk back outside if you have had enough. There is a nice gift shop and clean, free restrooms there, too.

We had a choice - could also go to the Modern Art Museum. It was fabulous! - if you like that kind of thing. I had had enough medieval stuff on the cruise by the time I got to Cologne. I agree that you shouldn't miss the cathedral and sit by the square and enjoy!!! And who doesn't like chocolate!!!!:D Lovely place.

In a few weeks, our ship will stop in Cologne for the day. They feature a walking tour of the city followed by a visit to the Romisch-Germanisches Museum to see Roman glass and antiquities. Has anyone been to this museum? I consider myself educated and very interested in history. But I can't help but feel like we are being dragged to a high school type field trip. With our brief amount of time in Cologne, could they not have found something more exciting to take us to? It is not even the most popular museum in Cologne. If somebody has been to that museum as part of a ship's excursion, please prove me wrong and make me have a better attitude about this!

We went on a tour of the museum and really enjoyed it. The glass and mosaic floor were amazing. We still had time for everything else we wanted to do.

Viking passengers ~ is the Romisch-Germanisches Museum part of the included walking tour in Cologne?? Just wondering since we'll be on the Rhine Getaway cruise in December. Itinerary mentions spending time inside the Dom but doesn't say anything about the Museum - I know on-line itinerary is just a quick overview.

Since its a Christmas Market cruise that'll be our main object! I know we can leave a walking tour at any time but just wondering if I should research the museum.

Thank much!!!

Viking passengers ~ is the Romisch-Germanisches Museum part of the included walking tour in Cologne?? Just wondering since we'll be on the Rhine Getaway cruise in December. Itinerary mentions spending time inside the Dom but doesn't say anything about the Museum - I know on-line itinerary is just a quick overview.

Since its a Christmas Market cruise that'll be our main object! I know we can leave a walking tour at any time but just wondering if I should research the museum.

Thank much!!!

It was on ours. We were there on a Sunday, so didn't get to go in the cathedral. The markets are right there, between the cathedral and the museum :D.

I was in Cologne in 1982 and the Cathedral was the only must see item in the city.

The city was bombed into rubble by Allied bombers during WWII (except for the Cathedral).

The Roman-German Museum was my favorite activity in Cologne and one of the highlights of our cruise. It was not included in our city tour; I had read about it and wanted to go. It is an awesome museum with awesome artifacts from Roman times. I loved the mosaic floor that was unearthed there. They have re-created a Roman house in the museum and have a large number of displays. They had a jewelry display when we were there, but it might have been a visiting display.

The only drawback was that the signs are not in English.

We've been to Cologne several times and found that one of our absolute favorite things to do was to go to the Café Reichard which is right across from the Dom Cathedral.

It is to die for!

Our first trip to Cologne was hosted by a friend of ours who lived in Bonn and she said a mid-afternoon stop at the Café Reichard was a must.

We can't agree more!

They serve food but we went for the hot chocolate and pastries...anyone like apple strudel?

Also, this is going to sound extremely odd, but you MUST go to the bathroom downstairs...even if you don't need to. It is really quite something.:)

Enjoy!

Thanks for the great advice! It sounds like the Romische-Germanisches Museum is worth it, and if there is time for a European hot chocolate at Cafe Reichard, we're in! Trust me, if the bathroom is free, we'll use it, whether we have to or not! Are you kidding?

Archived