pregnancy and travel insurance

plumeria

Does anyone know if pregnancy is covered through travel insurance? If your due date goes over cruise date do you get refund?

My sister is cruising with friend who just found out she was pregnant her due date is near cruise date, she wants to get cruise insurance and hope baby will come early, I would just cancel but she is determined to try any thoughts?

Try looking at tripinsure for policy. Some will pay with exisiting conditions some will not. Depending on when the policy was bought.

Cruiselines wont allow her to cruise in her last trimester-- thats just crazy to even try that. (I dont know if I want to give birth in a foreign country)

then is she has her baby--what does she do with it when she takes her cruise. Some cruiselines wont allow a baby onboard until they are already 4 months old...and some 6 months.

Your SIL's friend will not be allowed to cruise, and to be honest, why would she want to? Cruise ships are not equipped in any way to handle emergencies related to pregnancy, and if she should go into labor, what would she do? Ship's doctors are not OB's and aren't trained to deliver babies---plus there's no equipment on board to handle births. It's just too dangerous to allow anyone past their second trimester to cruise. Does she have any idea how dangerous it would be to cruise or even be on an airplane that late in the pregnancy? She's putting herself and her baby in danger. Besides, cruise lines have strict rules about pregnant women and cruising. Most don't allow anyone to cruise after the 24th week of pregnancy, with some going as high as 26 weeks. If her due date is when she's cruising, she cannot cruise. Besides, even if she has the baby early, newborns are not allowed to cruise. The rule is the infant must be at least 4 months old, and some cruise lines have limits of 6 months or as high as 1 year of age. I don't know of any mother who would leave her newborn at home just to go on a cruise.

As for insurance, unless she purchased the insurance within 10 to 14 days of booking the cruise, pregnancy will not be covered as it's considered a pre-existing condition. I called InsureMyTrip and asked about pregnancy and they said that since cruise lines don't allow women to cruise after their second trimester, they don't cover for pregnancy issues for births. If for some reason she is successful illegally getting onto the ship at her due date, and she should go into labor, ask her if she could afford the $30,000 medical evacuation fees she would be charged should she go into labor. This woman needs to be told that cruising will wait until her baby is born. It's just not worth it to endanger an innocent child because the mother thinks only of herself and her pleasure.

Archived