Are The Canaries very windy in July?

nellydean

Hi. I am interested in a cruise to the Canaries on Ventura in early July, but think I read somewhere that the winds can be very strong on some of the islands at that time, and the ship may be unable to dock. The ship (Ventura) is due to visit Madeira, La Palma, Tenerife, Lanzarote and Lisbon.

Am I mistaking this for the winter months, or, is there some truth in this?

I would also like to know if the seas are generally choppy down to the islands from Southampton in the summer months, and if you would feel more movement if you are in a lower deck cabin forward or aft on the Ventura?

If anyone has cruised to the Canaries in the summer, I would be grateful for any information, thanks.

To be honest, nobody can answer that question. We are having exceptionally cold weather at the moment and last July we had more rain than ever before.

I have not know a ship unable to dock at the Canaries, not like St Peter Port in Guernsey and as for the Bay of Biscay, it can be windy and bumpy or like a millpond. It's just not possible to say.

We have had wind in Fuerteventura and Lanzarote but very very warm winds, a bit like a hairdryer blowing. I have been in an aft inside cabin with only slight movement but that was in April, so I am sure you will be fine in July. It will be very hot in the Canary Islands in July. I am sailing again on the Ventura back to the Canary Islands at the end of July this year, maybe you are sailing before me.

Have a good cruise.

To be honest, nobody can answer that question. We are having exceptionally cold weather at the moment and last July we had more rain than ever before.

I have not know a ship unable to dock at the Canaries, not like St Peter Port in Guernsey and as for the Bay of Biscay, it can be windy and bumpy or like a millpond. It's just not possible to say.

I know one can't guarantee the weather ever, whatever time of year, I was just asking, in general terms, if the Canaries were known to be windy - enough to make if difficult for ships to dock - at that time of year, but thanks for the response.

We have had wind in Fuerteventura and Lanzarote but very very warm winds, a bit like a hairdryer blowing. I have been in an aft inside cabin with only slight movement but that was in April, so I am sure you will be fine in July. It will be very hot in the Canary Islands in July. I am sailing again on the Ventura back to the Canary Islands at the end of July this year, maybe you are sailing before me.

Have a good cruise.

Thanks for this. As I said above, you can never rule out anything, whatever time of year - we sailed over the Atlantic in July and it was like a millpond, and we sailed the Med in August and it was very stormy and rough - I just wanted a general perception of what to expect in the summer.

It's the cruise departing July 1st, so will be a couple before yours. You have fun too :)

Archived