dreading going to NOLA

girlsjustwannacruise

We love the Maison St. Charles Quality Inn at Erato and St. Charles Avenue. Lots of good dining (Emeril's, Irish Pub, Zio's Italian Grill, Houston's, and others), Wallgreens within walking distance, and we even walked to the French Quarter but it was a long walk (took the bus back). We walked five miles that day in and around the Quarter. :eek: Great exercise pre-cruise to offset those cruise ponds.

Edited by medicalma'am

I am a multi time New Orleans visitor, at least yearly, almost 20 years, I go to the Jazz Fest every year and occasionally cruise out of this port. Hotel rates were over $300 this year in April. With my up coming August trip, they are around $100 at the same hotel.

for me, location of a hotel is very important. I would never consider any off location. Last few years I have stayed at the La Quinta, on Camp, CBD. Being that my reasons for going is to music hop, which is later evening, I want to be able to just walk back to my hotel, not waste my time finding a cab. :) Same for my meals, I want to be able to walk out the door to my preference of food and walk back. You stay in some of the outlying areas- you don't have this. Also it can eat up time commuting back and forth, especially with short stays.

Yep rates climb up there during events, far more costly then NYC (another frequent area I tour). IF people are concerned about this, I would think you would verify what the rates are before you book any cruise. Altering the dates could drop the rates.

Edited by Budget Queen

oh lord, what have i done?

so... i booked the conquest out of NOLA. feeling great until i searched hotels and now im so confused i kinda wish i had picked a different home port.

1. hotels are OUTRAGEOUS for the week we are going there

2. Im confused on the districts- which ones to stay at?

3. No idea how much parking is going to be in french quarter if we stay outside the district and decide to go explore.

i have searched the gulf home port section and can not find answers.

if anyone has suggestions: please, inform me.

thanks.

I totally understand how you fell. My husband and I are booked on a cruise out of New Orleans for March 30th (Carnival Sunshine). We arrive a day early and will be staying at the La Quinta, which is $179 per night (not including taxes). What I did was to search for hotels in the area of the port. Coming back from the cruise, we have to stay in New Orleans that Sunday night and the prices are out of control. The same hotel that offered $179 is now over $300 for one night, which I cannot do. So I choose an area that is near the French Quarters and searched for hotels. I haven't booked anything yet, but hope to in the next few days. Good luck and don't give up, you will find a hotel.

As for parking, the majority of the hotels charge for parking and they average about $18 - $20 per night. We are not driving to New Orleans, but instead will be taking the train. If we drove, it would be $20 for the first night, then $112 for parking at the pier. I just felt that we could save money if we took the train.

I totally understand how you fell. My husband and I are booked on a cruise out of New Orleans for March 30th (Carnival Sunshine). We arrive a day early and will be staying at the La Quinta, which is $179 per night (not including taxes). What I did was to search for hotels in the area of the port. Coming back from the cruise, we have to stay in New Orleans that Sunday night and the prices are out of control. The same hotel that offered $179 is now over $300 for one night, which I cannot do. So I choose an area that is near the French Quarters and searched for hotels. I haven't booked anything yet, but hope to in the next few days. Good luck and don't give up, you will find a hotel.

As for parking, the majority of the hotels charge for parking and they average about $18 - $20 per night. We are not driving to New Orleans, but instead will be taking the train. If we drove, it would be $20 for the first night, then $112 for parking at the pier. I just felt that we could save money if we took the train.

We are on the Sunshine 3/30/14 too. I like using Priceline and we'll see how it worked out for us this time. I bid for an at least 3* in the French Quarter and I "won" Chateau Dupre for 109 a night. We are staying 2 nights. I like the price and the location sounds excellent. Reviews aren't very good but we've stayed at other quirky places without great reviews and had a great time.

We are on the Sunshine 3/30/14 too. I like using Priceline and we'll see how it worked out for us this time. I bid for an at least 3* in the French Quarter and I "won" Chateau Dupre for 109 a night. We are staying 2 nights. I like the price and the location sounds excellent. Reviews aren't very good but we've stayed at other quirky places without great reviews and had a great time.

I have stayed here a couple times. Frankly, this is not a stand out hotel. Basic at best, and I have never paid your rate.

I wouldn't use Priceline for NO, too much of a chance to get those fringe locations, which the above hotel is. Real problems, when people "win" stuff down by Rampart/Elk etc. No place I want to be.

Can't speak of the hotel but the location is very good for Chateau Dupre.

I have to agree about bidding on Priceline. If the "zone" includes Rampart or very close to it, it would not be good. The "pockets" of convenient/safe/nicer areas are just that, "little pockets" spread "here and there" and you really have to know the layout of New Orleans and where these little pockets are. Unfortunately, and I have said this before, if the price is too good to be true, it probably is for one reason or another.

I have stayed here a couple times. Frankly, this is not a stand out hotel. Basic at best, and I have never paid your rate.

I wouldn't use Priceline for NO, too much of a chance to get those fringe locations, which the above hotel is. Real problems, when people "win" stuff down by Rampart/Elk etc. No place I want to be.

Oh well, I've done really well with Priceline in the past. We will make the best of this one. We go with a good attitude and know we aren't staying at the Ritz so expectations are set appropriately.

We are leaving out of New Orleans on the Sunshine Feb 16th 2014 and are going to be battling the NBA All Star game. We are unsure of where we will stay but were planning on parking at the port.

CrazyboutDisney,

We are leaving on 2/16 as well, but on the Norwegian Jewel. We wanted to do 3-4 days precruise in NOLA, but the NBA fans have all the rooms! Instead we are flying in from MI and staying the night before the cruise at the Comfort Inn by the airport ($111 a night). We will taxi into NOLA the next morning. After the cruise, we will stay 3-4 days...looking at the Place deArmes right now..about $160 a night but have not totally decided yet. Hope you figure out something as acceptable!

On a side note, we are off to Disney Dec 14-21! We got the free dining and are staying at the Coronado. We were there in 2005 and 2007 so we are anxious to see all the changes!

Lauri

• 2 months later...

For anyone still looking for a hotel, I just recently discovered lastminutetravel.com, courtesy of some of the other boards on here. I had looked directly at hotel websites, AAA, hotels.com, etc, and thought the prices were getting ridiculous for the day before and after my cruise (9/21, 9/29). This site is similar to priceline in that the name is hidden (but there's a way around that) until you purchase, but I got a great deal both times. You can even call the site directly for "a better deal."

• 2 months later...

In the Quarter, for atmosphere, I second the Prince Conti. It's half a block off Bourbon but I promise you can't hear the noise. Their sister hotels are the Place D'Armes closer to Jackson Square & Hotel St. Marie with the classic tropical courtyard. All reasonable prices & filled with antiques.

Outside the Quarter, in addition to the Hilton chain, check out the Marriott chain of hotels (Marriott dot com). All very close to port.

Edited by sofietucker

I just got a room for three adults on Hotwire for $133 night in February. Considering the date and prices I was seeing for three adults on all the other sites, I was really happy to get a 3 star hotel for that price. It's the Clarion Grand Boutique on St. Charles with a streetcar stop right in front of the hotel. Since we wanted to ride the streetcar through the garden district while we were there anyway, this will be perfect.

There is an additional charge for valet parking ($18) but it still was a good deal for us. Adding that third adult really was bumping the prices up on the rooms.

If anybody has stayed there, I'd be interested in your opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
oh lord, what have i done?

so... i booked the conquest out of NOLA. feeling great until i searched hotels and now im so confused i kinda wish i had picked a different home port.

1. hotels are OUTRAGEOUS for the week we are going there

2. Im confused on the districts- which ones to stay at?

3. No idea how much parking is going to be in french quarter if we stay outside the district and decide to go explore.

i have searched the gulf home port section and can not find answers.

if anyone has suggestions: please, inform me.

thanks.

Dennis has been to NOLA on conventions many times and absolutely loved it so we starting doing NYE cruises on RCI in 2011 and are hooked. I absolutely love New Orleans. We take the street car (last year it was under construction so took the bus) to the Garden District, wander the French Quarter, we usually go to Riverwalk, but it is under construction right now, shop the Canal Street Mall and just generally wander and enjoy.

Bourbon Street at night is something that everyone should see at least once. Not necessarily my cup of tea to stay and drink at night, but we love to go to listen to the live music and see the goings on. Quite the place. The shops are amazing, the food is to die for and the people are just so incredibly hospitable, we love it there. The port is pretty good, not perfect but good. With RCI we would usually check in, put our bags in the room and then go back out and play for a bit in NOLA before the ship departs.

We have stayed at the Courtyard on St. Charles, The Saint Autograph Collection (also Marriott chain) on Canal and this year will stay at the Sheraton on Canal. The rates vary and it is worth checking hotels.com etc if you find that the rates are high. There is a Four Points Sheraton right in the middle of the action on Bourbon Street, we had considered it this year, but we couldn't get a bourbon street room, so passed. There are soooooo many hotels there is a ton of choice!

On Canal there is a Walgreens near Bourbon, can't remember if it is on the St. Charles corner or not, where we always go for some wine to carryon and I get my shampoo that I can't get in Canada.

We stay on main streets at night that are well lit, but we definitely go out at night and have been fine. We have found it to be pretty safe.

If you need parking then speak directly with the hotel and find out what they recommend if they charge a lot for parking, they are usually pretty helpful from my experience.

I'm not sure if you have already cruised, if so I hope you had a fabulous time, if not hope this helps.

Dee

• 1 month later...
I just got a room for three adults on Hotwire for $133 night in February. Considering the date and prices I was seeing for three adults on all the other sites, I was really happy to get a 3 star hotel for that price. It's the Clarion Grand Boutique on St. Charles with a streetcar stop right in front of the hotel. Since we wanted to ride the streetcar through the garden district while we were there anyway, this will be perfect.

There is an additional charge for valet parking ($18) but it still was a good deal for us. Adding that third adult really was bumping the prices up on the rooms.

If anybody has stayed there, I'd be interested in your opinion.

Wondering how your stay at the Clarion grand boutique was?

Wondering how your stay at the Clarion grand boutique was?

We aren't going to be there until the end of January. I'll let you know when we return from our cruise. I haven't seen any other posts regarding that hotel anywhere on CC so am really curious as to how it will be.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be okay.