Entry fee for Argentina

VegasPier

We have to have ours before boarding in Valpo Chile, for our upcoming cruise which will end in Buenos Aires. The site is easy to get to, register, pay the fee and then you get a receipt with a bar code on it that you can print out. Fold it and put it with your passport so you won't forget it.

• 2 weeks later...

Every thing I have read says that the fee must be paid online prior to arrival. Five years ago, Royal Caribbean enforced the Brazil visa requirement at embarcation, which means that those that did not have visas were put off the ship just prior to that stop (which was Montevideo). So the cruise partner is most probably the point of verification.

I see that this thread is a couple of years old, so wondering if anybody from USA, Canada or AUS has updates or recent experience entering Argentina.

We'll be arriving in Argentina via ship, then heading to the airport (although we will have a few hours in between to shop or look around, as our flight doesn't leave until end of the day).

Our ship's website specifically had a message about the reciprocity fee being required for entry into Argentina (to be paid in advance online).

Has anybody ended their cruise in Argentina and had to show proof of payment? I'm just wondering how they would check a cruise ship of 3000 people. They would need to check each person's passport to verify nationality, and if a citizen of USA, Canada or AUS, then also check their receipt as proof of payment.

I guess what I'm asking is, do they check every cruise ship passenger? What happens if you lose your receipt?

I see that this thread is a couple of years old, so wondering if anybody from USA, Canada or AUS has updates or recent experience entering Argentina.

We'll be arriving in Argentina via ship, then heading to the airport (although we will have a few hours in between to shop or look around, as our flight doesn't leave until end of the day).

Our ship's website specifically had a message about the reciprocity fee being required for entry into Argentina (to be paid in advance online).

Has anybody ended their cruise in Argentina and had to show proof of payment? I'm just wondering how they would check a cruise ship of 3000 people. They would need to check each person's passport to verify nationality, and if a citizen of USA, Canada or AUS, then also check their receipt as proof of payment.

I guess what I'm asking is, do they check every cruise ship passenger? What happens if you lose your receipt?

Princess verified payment of the reciprocity fee at embarkation in Chile. I assume the same protocol is in place for all cruise lines.

Good to know that we will be validated at cruise check-in. We have our receipts, and printed multiple copies.

One thing to note, is that when I went to pay, it very clearly said USD $92.00. It even shows USD $92.00 on my official receipt. HOWEVER...when I looked at my credit card statement, I was charged in Argentine Pesos, and then had to pay the extra fee for conversion rate, so it ended up being over $96.00 per person. Unless I missed something, nowhere did it say on the AR government site that we would actually be charged in Pesos! I know it's only a few extra dollars per person, but still it's the principle. Had I known, I would have used a different credit card.

Edited by Mulder155

Good to know that we will be validated at cruise check-in. We have our receipts, and printed multiple copies.

One thing to note, is that when I went to pay, it very clearly said USD $92.00. It even shows USD $92.00 on my official receipt. HOWEVER...when I looked at my credit card statement, I was charged in Argentine Pesos, and then had to pay the extra fee for conversion rate, so it ended up being over $96.00 per person. Unless I missed something, nowhere did it say on the AR government site that we would actually be charged in Pesos! I know it's only a few extra dollars per person, but still it's the principle. Had I known, I would have used a different credit card.

My confirmation clearly showed the amount in Argentine pesos. It was also paid the night before the new president of Argentina allowed the peso to "float" - so the amount I was charged in US dollars at the time the payment posted to Amex was $113.33 pp. If you were charged only the equivalent of $92 pp (plus a foreign currency conversion fee from the credit card company) - don't complain, as the fee is supposed to be $160 pp US!

My confirmation clearly showed the amount in Argentine pesos. It was also paid the night before the new president of Argentina allowed the peso to "float" - so the amount I was charged in US dollars at the time the payment posted to Amex was $113.33 pp. If you were charged only the equivalent of $92 pp (plus a foreign currency conversion fee from the credit card company) - don't complain, as the fee is supposed to be $160 pp US!

Fee is $92 USD per person for Canadian Citizens. Therefore that's what I should have been charged. I have a US$ credit card, so I should have been charged exactly $92, not converted to Pesos, then converted back to USD. My confirmation also shows the Pesos. But when on the Argentinian gov't site, it only showed US$, and never said I would be charged in Pesos.

Edited by Mulder155

Fee is $92 USD per person for Canadian Citizens. Therefore that's what I should have been charged. I have a US$ credit card, so I should have been charged exactly $92, not converted to Pesos, then converted back to USD. My confirmation also shows the Pesos. But when on the Argentinian gov't site, it only showed US$, and never said I would be charged in Pesos.

I was just about to edit my previous post and say that either the fee was lowered, or you got a GREAT deal! The Canadian part didn't enter into my thoughts. :D

I saw the Argentine peso equivalent before I completed the transaction, and it was just a few cents higher than $160 - based on the conversion rate at http://www.xe.com. I just happened to luck out that the value of 1589.61 Argentine pesos dropped quite a bit overnight - before the charge was processed by my credit card company. None of my credit cards charges a foreign currency conversion fee.

I am confused by what some are posting. I suppose I need to call Delta and Celebrity to be sure. We got our Argentinian reciprocity receipt back in 2013. I have had to change email providers and no longer have the email request but I do have the receipt printed out which has beginning and ending dates as well S our name. There is a number assigned to it also. The last time we were in Argentina all we needed was that piece of paper. Will we be okay? I plan on making several copies for our trip. I would hate to have to purchase it again.

Thanks for any information.

Pearl

I am confused by what some are posting. I suppose I need to call Delta and Celebrity to be sure. We got our Argentinian reciprocity receipt back in 2013. I have had to change email providers and no longer have the email request but I do have the receipt printed out which has beginning and ending dates as well S our name. There is a number assigned to it also. The last time we were in Argentina all we needed was that piece of paper. Will we be okay? I plan on making several copies for our trip. I would hate to have to purchase it again.

Thanks for any information.

Pearl

That paper should be all you need. They are good for 10 years. I just purchased one and it has a bar code on it.

• 2 months later...
As from one week ago the entry fee to my native Argentina has been suspended. According to local media this will last for 90 days but maybe it will be for good..I least I hope so

I hope so, too. I also hope that travelers will check the embassy website instead of a forum with potentially outdated information.

I hope so, too. I also hope that travelers will check the embassy website instead of a forum with potentially outdated information.

Yes, the fee has been suspended for those traveling on US passports. It's still in effect for others.

The suspension was done in conjunction with President Obama's visit and is only in effect for 90 days at this point. The move was made in hopes the US will reinstate Argentina in the Visa Waiver program, which will ensure the suspension will become permanent.

At this point the suspension won't still be in effect for those on 2017 cruises. Watch the embassy website or updates.