Crime in Bermuda

Swizzle v2.0

After a recent indicent in which a couple was mugged I figured I'd take some time to give some facts about crime in Bermuda.

Bermuda is a wonderful and generally safe island. However, many tourists get lulled into thinking that it's crime-free and thus do things that put them at risk - in this instance walking down a deserted road in the middle of the night. What was intended to be a lovely midnight walk to Tobacco Bay instead turned into a very frightening encounter. Based on the location, and the fact the guy had a machete, I suspect he was waiting for a tourist to rob. :(

My rule of thumb when visiting Bermuda is to take the same precautions that you would use visiting any US city of 100,000 people. Don't go wandering along deserted roads, or touring unknown areas, at night. It is unfortunate but Bermuda does have a problem with drugs, so there are a number of addicts out there who resort to crime to get cash for a quick fix. There are areas of Bermuda I would not wander around at night and, unlike you, I know where they are.

If you rent a scooter then all important documents, money and other items should never be in a bag in the basket at the back of the scooter, they should be in the compartment under the seat while you're riding, and on your person if you're away from your scooter. Occasionally a thief will drive by on a scooter and pluck your bag from the back of the bike. And don't lock valuables in the seat compartment then leave the scooter unattended - most thieves can pick the lock on a scooter in an instant. Sometimes they'll just take the whole scooter by hotwiring it. Your vacation won't be ruined if all the crook gets is some wet beach towels and some sunscreen. :D

Don't leave valuables unattended on the beach while you go swimming. Try to leave someone behind or get someone to watch over your stuff, there has been the odd time that tourists have had items like wallets and cameras stolen because they left it on their towels as they went swimming.

Ladies there is the occasional purse snatching here, in the summer it happens 1-3 times a month and often by the South Shore beaches. Keep the passports, money . . .etc somewhere else than in your purse.

Like I said Bermuda is a lovely place but please don't let it's beauty, and the fact that you don't get harassed constantly by beggers and hawkers, lull you into a false sense of security. Crime is rare against tourists but it does happen, if you don't do anything foolish you should be fine and have a lovely vacation.

Thanks Swizzzle we saw the after math of two incidents in St George---the police looking for a purse snatcher(along the same road as this incident in fact) and another incident in St George itself. Good advice---even from people in NYC,

Swizzle, I appreciate your post. I will be traveling to Bermuda in July with my husband and three children (10, 8 and 4) and I've been trying to read this board every day for tips and suggestions. We're looking forward to our stay at the Wyndham. Thanks again.

Thanks for the reminder Swizzle,

I have to agree that some folks have the mistaken idea that crime does not occur there

On my first trip to Bermuda in 2001 I was walking on the side of the road near the extrance to the Chrystal caves when two local motorbike riders zoomed up to us in a threatening manner, looking to grab my bag. I don't carry a pocketbook however, and my backpack was secure,so they were not successful. Not exacty the "Bermuda Welcome" that we had expected :)

The rest of the vacation was wonderful, however and

We have returned to the Island twice. No place is perfect, bur Bermuda comes close

I visited Bermuda four times in the past year. Explored nearly every inch of the Island, and never once did I ever feel threatened or did anyone bother me. Of course crime can happen anywhere but you won't find a safer Island to visit than Bermuda.

Hi Rob. I noticed that your website contains a general warning from the US Department of State:

Be especially cautious in or avoid areas where you are likely to be victimized. These include crowded subways, train stations, elevators, tourist sites, market places, festivals and marginal areas of cities.

For Bermuda I disagree with this, crowded areas in Bermuda where tourists go are fine. I'd hate for someone to think they need to be 'especially cautious' at Harbour Nights, Horseshoe Bay or the bus terminal because it's crowded. Problems usually occur when there's no one around (deserted roads . . . etc).

You know, your'e right about that. I hadn't thought of it in that light, unless it's a pickpocket type thing. The "Hamilton Harbour Night" was fine and I didn't see any problems whatsoever. Just goes back to using common sense.

Hello GOPATRIOTS.....I too am from Foxboro, Home of the 3 time Super Bowl Champs.................

I love reading these posts about Bermuda. It is my favorite place in the world.

My hubby is from Bermuda. Hey, Swizzle, you may know him or my inlaws....

Anyway, just wanted to say Hello !!

Dondonma

My hubby is from Bermuda. Hey, Swizzle, you may know him or my inlaws....

Of course I do. What's their names? ;)

Actually I'm an ex-pat and not a 'true' Bermudian so there's a good chance that I don't know your in-laws but it's a small island . . . .

I hadn't thought of it in that light, unless it's a pickpocket type thing. The "Hamilton Harbour Night" was fine and I didn't see any problems whatsoever. Just goes back to using common sense.

Oddly enough pickpocketing is one thing people don't really have to worry about - at least I haven't heard of any incidents.

GOPATRIOTS........I have twin girls at the Ahern middle school, they are 12, they may know your 10 year old. email me at drichardson@foxboro.com

SWIZZLE V2.0.......My husband comes from a HUGE family, he is one of 12. His name is Gary, before we got married, he worked at the Southhampton Princess as a bouncer at the Touch Club, That is where we met. I was buddies with the Bermuda Strollers and used to stay at Ted Mings house up on the hill behind Tio Pepe's and then over at Fiddlewood when he bought his house near Gibbs Lighthouse. My hubby's brother Roy ownes Triple R painting, you may know the business. He has many sisters, Jenda is on security at Sonesta Beach ( now the Wyndham). One of his nephews, Randy, plays in a band on the Hawkins island party boat, another niece married Clark Trott, the cricket player......I could go on all day.........like I said, he's from a HUGE family. Let me know if you know any of them.

Donna in MA

Hey...gopats & dondon. We are MLS New England Revs fans and there is a player Khano Smith from Bermuda who plays for the Revs. We actually (totally by chance) met his mom at the Hamilton Street Fair (every Wed).

Swizzle. So sorry about your unfortunate experience. You give good advice which ppl should heed no matter where they go.

Sorry DonDonma but I don't think I know any of them. I've only lived in Bermuda for four years, and live on the East side of the island, and it sounds like most of your relatives are from Western parishes.

Swizzle. So sorry about your unfortunate experience.

:) Nothing happened to me, the incidents I reported happened to some tourists. In the four years I've been here I've never been the victim of any crime (knock on wood).

A few years ago my wife was the victim of a robbery in Bermuda. It happened at Astwood Cove at 10 AM with people in the vicinity. She wasn't hurt and the little bast-rd we arrested in a few days. She was alone at the time and taking pictures, something she had done many times..The lesson is don't be alone, travel in a group. You never know when someone might decide that you are a good target. As it turned out it was a kid that needed some money. Instead of cutting his grandmother's lawn he decided to rob a tourist...nice kid.

A second lesson is do not carry all your ID. Leave something, like your passport, back in your cabin. If someone takes you purse or wallet you will be left with nothing....We have been back to Bermuda many times since then but now we are always looking over our shoulders...

We could not beleive the concern and compassion of the Bermudian people and their officials...they were fantastic..!!!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Swizzle

Thanks for the info. on Bermuda. DH/I will be there for our fourth time in September. We love Bermuda and everything about it. Anyone living there is so blessed.

I do have a "tourist" question if you don't mind...

We're docking in King's Wharf and are interested in going to Jobson's Cove. Is it possible to get their via bus and if so, what bus number do we take and what is name of the stop? If I'm correct I think Jobson's Cove is adjacent to Warwick Beach. How far is the walk? Afterwards we plan on going to Flanagan's for a few pints of Kilkenny and take the ferry back to King's Wharf.

We've been to Horseshoe Bay Beach twice but we would love to visit another beach. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Since you live in Bermuda.. what are your favorite beaches between King's Wharf and Hamilton? DH/I love the coves and anything that is really scenic since I enjoy taking pictures. If you prefer you can send me an email to onyx66@hotmail.com. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

To get back on safety in Bermuda.. the three times DH/I have been there we've never had an issue. We keep our personal belongings with us at all times and if we travel to a beach we make sure someone is with our stuff the entire time. If it's only the two of us, then we sit as close to the water so we can keep an eye on things. We walked around Hamilton at night as well as King's Wharf and never encountered a problem. I can't wait to go back to Bermuda and visit new areas and Flanagans!

We're docking in King's Wharf and are interested in going to Jobson's Cove. Is it possible to get their via bus and if so, what bus number do we take and what is name of the stop? If I'm correct I think Jobson's Cove is adjacent to Warwick Beach. How far is the walk?

We've been to Horseshoe Bay Beach twice but we would love to visit another beach. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Since you live in Bermuda.. what are your favorite beaches between King's Wharf and Hamilton? DH/I love the coves and anything that is really scenic since I enjoy taking pictures.

To get to Jobson's Cove take the #7 bus and let the bus driver know that you are going to Jobson's. It is just west of Warwick Long Bay so you could get off there as well. If you've explored the coves east of Horseshoe Bay you may have even been there and not realized it. :)

All of the beaches between Warwick Long Bay and Horseshoe are wonderful and my favourite is actually Horseshoe, mostly due to the size and the amenities. If you want to try something different try John Smith's Bay (get to it taking the #1 bus from Hamilton) and have lunch at the Pink Beach Club/Resort a few hundred yards east of John Smith's. The beach is a little more out of the way and is popular with locals. If you go west of the beach there are cliffs where the waves crash against the shore that are nice for pictures.

Just to get back on topic recently a couple lost a camera, wallet etc. because they left it on the beach while they went swimming and walking around - for more than an hour! Unfortunate but not too surprising given how long they were gone.

Hi Swizzle:

Thank you very much for the information, it's greatly appreciated.

Is Jobson's Cove/Warwick Long Bay safe? Currently, there's only my DH/I that will be going there. Not sure what are friends are doing yet.

I was actually looking at John Smith's Bay for another choice. Funny that you mentioned it. I've been searching on the web for pictures of the beaches so I can an idea of what they look like.

Thanks as well for starting this post and informing us about the crimes that do take place in Bermuda. No matter where you go and how beautiful a place can be, some type of crime does happen.

Have a good day!

Archived