Cancellation

chrischill

Can anyone tell me what happens if you need to cancel a cruise. Is there any refund? Is it ever possible to change passengers, say if one person can't make it substitue someone else? I booked and paid in full on expedia for a cruise in Sept. It was supposed to be me and my daughter but now she may not be able to make it. Any info would be helpful.

In nearly all cases, you can cancel a cruise within 90 days of sailing and get a full refund. If you booked thru the cruise line, call them immediately. If you booked thru a TA, call him immediately!

I don't think that you can usually make a substitution, but check with the line or your TA.

From all that I have heard, you CAN do a substitution. My friend was taking a group of 18 yo girls and one couldn't go. They could have substituted someone else. The only problem they had was with the plane tickets - they couldn't put those in someone elses name, but the cruise was fine. You can usually do this to up to close to sailing date, but I don't remember how many days out.

Hope you can get someone to go with you!

Michelle

In nearly all cases, you can cancel a cruise within 90 days of sailing and get a full refund.
I think you meant "beyond 90 days from date of sailing".

As you get closer to sailing date, cancellation penalties get worse and worse. If you have insurance, chris, you may be covered, depending on the reason your daughter can't go. But like the other posters said, CALL YOUR TA immediately!

You're right, of course. I was thinking "up to..", and I wrote, "within..", which are opposites. In any event, if you have more than 90 days before your ship sails, you should be able to cancel without penalty. One big question, though: Why did you pay 100% up front? I've seen some TAs offer a "special deal" if you do this, but I think that they do it because a certain segment of the population will figure that they're locked in to taking the cruise as soon as they pay up.

Can anyone tell me what happens if you need to cancel a cruise. Is there any refund? Is it ever possible to change passengers, say if one person can't make it substitue someone else? I booked and paid in full on expedia for a cruise in Sept. It was supposed to be me and my daughter but now she may not be able to make it. Any info would be helpful.

Chrischill, we are booked for a September cruise through Expedia. I had asked this question of them also just in case. They told me they charge a $25 per person cancellation fee. In addition to this, Cruise lines have cancellation policies based on how many days til you cruise. Check the websites for those restrictions.

Thank you all for your helpful information. We are still trying to work things out but I needed to know if I need to watch for any deadlines.

I hope we will cruise if not I hope I can still go. Thanks again

As far as I know, it depends on the cruise lines. You could possible cancel up to 90 days before the cruise with refund and no penalties. After that, you may only get a portion of your money back , if at all. As we were working on our cruise for July, we had a family of 2 who wanted to cancel because of family situation. I called the TA and was told that NCL will take 50% and TA will take 15% of total cost as service charge. We asked about if we can subsitute another family for that cabin, the answer was "no". Of the two names for that cabin, they can only change one name (with a name change fee $35.) otherwise, it is considered a cancellation. This was like 2 months before the cruise, and the name change for that one person has to be done one month before the cruise. It may be different with the different TA, but that was what our TA told me.

Archived