Motion in a forward cabin

AuntieLil

Hi,

Hope someone can help with this.... how bad is the motion in a forward cabin?

Hubby and I are thinking about booking on the Breakaway for 5/19 sailing and would like to maybe try the M6 cabins (mini-suite with large balcony) or the B6 cabins (large balcony). Both of these rooms are in the front on deck 8 & 9 respectively.

I think I've only been in midship cabins on previous cruises. Also, on the Gem a couple of years ago, we visited the area (i forget which deck it was on) where you can look down into the bridge and we both got a little dizzy from the motion. Do you think M6 and B6 would feel the same?

Thanks in advance!

In February, I stayed in cabin 9027 on the Epic, which is forward. While I was a little hesitant regarding being in a forward cabin, my fears were unfounded. I never noticed more motion in my cabin, than I did in any other areas of the ship. Loved the large balcony!

We stayed in 12002 on the Dawn on 3/10/13 and for the first time really felt the rocking compared to other parts of the ship. Most of the time when staying in front cabins we never experienced the motion any more than other places on the ship.

We stayed in a fairly forward deck 9 balcony on the spirit. Did not notice any increased motion but when the seas got rough we got a lot of sea spray on our balcony. It was always covered in salt. That is why we like balconys towards the aft and at least deck 10.

You will feel more motion in forward cabins than in midship cabins. How much motion is a function of the sea state, so it is hard to say if the motion will be "too much" or not. I think that you can assume that the Breakaways motion will be similar to the Epic, so maybe searches about Epic motion can give you a clue.

Have sailed forward deck 12 on the Star during ROUGH seas, did not bother me, but you notice it for sure. It all depends on your tolerance and seasick quotient. Since starting the practice of taking a Bonine every night starting the night before the cruise I have not been troubled by it.

We will be sailing on Sky in late Aug and we booked a very forward balcony cabin on deck 10.

We booked BB category and the available cabins are either very forward or very aft on deck 10. The aft cabins are right under sports bar and buffet areas. So we booked forward cabin to avoid noise issues. But now I'm a little worried...Does anyone think I should switch to aft instead?

Hi,

Hope someone can help with this.... how bad is the motion in a forward cabin?

Hubby and I are thinking about booking on the Breakaway for 5/19 sailing and would like to maybe try the M6 cabins (mini-suite with large balcony) or the B6 cabins (large balcony). Both of these rooms are in the front on deck 8 & 9 respectively.

I think I've only been in midship cabins on previous cruises. Also, on the Gem a couple of years ago, we visited the area (i forget which deck it was on) where you can look down into the bridge and we both got a little dizzy from the motion. Do you think M6 and B6 would feel the same?

Thanks in advance!

You get rocked to sleep like a baby. Awwwww.

hug314: I'm going on sky in mid April. This ship does short Bahama sailings weather should not be rough in August HOWEVER Sky anchors out at the private island in the morning. You WILL hear the anchor chain be let out when the ship drops the hook and in the afternoon when they raise the anchor to sail away. enjoy your cruise. Remember: earplugs are your friends!!!

hug314: I'm going on sky in mid April. This ship does short Bahama sailings weather should not be rough in August HOWEVER Sky anchors out at the private island in the morning. You WILL hear the anchor chain be let out when the ship drops the hook and in the afternoon when they raise the anchor to sail away. enjoy your cruise. Remember: earplugs are your friends!!!

Thanks a bunch for your response! It does help me a lot! This is my first cruise so any tip would be truly appreciated. Have fun for your upcoming cruise!

Since someone suggested that a comparison would help you thought I would chime in. Motion sickness is one of those personal things-I happen to be very sensitive. I had a more forward studio on the Epic and my mother was in a forward balcony. I notice motion at all times-as soon as I get on the ship and before we are moving. But, forward/aft does not make a difference, even though I am sensitive. I enjoyed the rocking motion in my studio-it does rock you to sleep but def. take precautions and start them early just in case. I start the Bonine 48 hours before the cruise and take the max dosage as well as use sea bands and ginger candy. Have a great cruise!

You get rocked to sleep like a baby. Awwwww.

Music to my ears! First time in a forward cabin and a suite! We have sturdy sea legs and love the "feel" of being on the water.

Thank you!

We stayed in a forward cabin recently on the Sun. It wasn't so much the motion that was an issue, but the wind. Many times it was just too windy to enjoy the balcony. We're happy we tried it once.... We have an aft on our upcoming cruise. We'll see how we like that.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!

I always use the sea bands and they work well~~like I said never did a forward or studio before~~always had a window or a balcony~~we will see~~I am going to have my mind set to have a great time and it will work. I have always been in the aft~~one day my bed was rocking and rolling~~ rough sea day and I survived! Thanks all!:)

Thank you everyone for your responses!! We're going to have to give this some more thought. While the larger balcony is enticing, we don't want to be too seasick to enjoy it :eek: Although, this is a Bermuda cruise, so we will be docked for three of the days.... decisions, decisions, decisions... hey, can't complain - there are worse decisions to have to make in life :)

Again, thank you for your help!

• 1 month later...

We've also cruised in a forward penthouse on the Gem. Everybody was fine the entire trip, except for DD on the last morning. Seas where rougher on our way back to NYC. DH ad to go lie down for a bit in the afternoon, it was great timing to because it was raining. The rest of the time, we would only feel a gentle roll. Perfect to fall assleep!

Good luck with the decision...

I was recently on the Dawn, in cabin 12502. That's as far forward as you can get on deck 12.

Yes, we felt the rocking, but it wasn't bad. We usually go midship, but was placed in the forward cabin, when we booked a guarantee.

The views from our windows were positively amazing.

• 1 month later...

thanks for the input....I will be in cabin 12002 in the Fall/Sept to Bermuda (hurricane season!) and I am also concerned as I am very motion sensitive. During my cruise to Alaska in 2011 (we were upper mid-ship) I wore the seabands 24/7, took the anti motion tablets daily and had the ginger gum! I actually fared very well, but wonder how it may have been if I did not take all the precautions! For sure, I will be well armed again for this cruise! Don't want to lose precious vacation time feeling ill!

Archived