Anything Montreal

sebas030

do i need to learn french? i know the very basic pleasantries from former trips to france, but it didn't even cross my mind i might need it in montreal. i will be there for almost a week. i am always happy to try and speak the preferred language when i travel, i find people tend to appreciate the effort when they tell me its okay just speak in english= just wasn't sure about this part!

No, not at all.

You could live and work in Montreal all your life and never speak a work of french...

In the french school we have english classes starting in the first grade...

So no worries,

Have fun !

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the advice, we did try this one a) no rooms b) rather expensive. Any other suggestions grately appreciated.

I know this is an old post, but in case someone is looking for a reasonably-priced hotel NOW, I'm considering a stay at Petite Auberge de Bon Matins, a B&B. It's not necessarily Old Montreal but instead is near the Bell Centre. They have rooms from about 135 to 160 CAD, with the less expensive ones get snapped up quickly, it seems. There's a lot of artwork in the rooms, which appeals to me. I understand that accommodations tax in Montreal is pretty hefty (almost 20%, but please correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm looking for less expensive options.

Just thought I'd throw that out. I get tired of hotels.

Hi there can any one suggest a reasonably price hotel near the Cruise Terminal we are cruising on Oceania's Marina on 18th May and need room for night of 17th

Joy

If you found a reasonably priced hotel, could you let me know what it was? Also, did you know that there's a new temporary cruise terminal, farther up north? It's my understanding that the port runs a shuttle up there from their previous terminal (Alexandra), but if you're going to the port from Montreal, you'll probably prefer to just have a cab take you directly there. It's by Pie X road I believe. Hopefully Oceania has given you the correct port address!

Hi. In Montreal, we're thinking of staying at a place on Argyle Street, which is close to Lucien-L'Allier orange line metro station and also Centre Bell. I'm curious to find out if this is considered part of "downtown Montreal" for purposes of the $40 CAD fare from the airport. I checked the airport site and found a number to call for more information about the fare, but was wondering if one of the wonderful helpers on here had a link to a chart that shows the info I need (maybe the taxi association's website?) before I made a call. If it's outside the downtown area, can anyone hazard a guess as to how much it would be, using a metered cab? I'd like to take the 747 bus, but it looks to be too far to walk from where it stops up to the B&B with large bags. Thanks & merci.

Hi. In Montreal, we're thinking of staying at a place on Argyle Street, which is close to Lucien-L'Allier orange line metro station and also Centre Bell. I'm curious to find out if this is considered part of "downtown Montreal" for purposes of the $40 CAD fare from the airport. I checked the airport site and found a number to call for more information about the fare, but was wondering if one of the wonderful helpers on here had a link to a chart that shows the info I need (maybe the taxi association's website?) before I made a call. If it's outside the downtown area, can anyone hazard a guess as to how much it would be, using a metered cab? I'd like to take the 747 bus, but it looks to be too far to walk from where it stops up to the B&B with large bags. Thanks & merci.

Hi,

This is the chart for the limousine service from the airport...the rates are not good for the taxi service but it shows how Montreal is divided...

f2581d230bcced27cee9a77dd0b2bbe0.jpg

* on the chart the "centre-ville" part is Downtown at 55$ ( limo rate )

As for location, if you want to stay close to the Bell centre, stay NORTH of the Bell centre...going south will get you in one of the poorest area of Montreal...with all that goes with it...

Have fun !

Edited by sebas030

do i need to learn french? i know the very basic pleasantries from former trips to france, but it didn't even cross my mind i might need it in montreal. i will be there for almost a week. i am always happy to try and speak the preferred language when i travel, i find people tend to appreciate the effort when they tell me its okay just speak in english= just wasn't sure about this part!

As other posters have mentioned, many francophone Montréalais (Montrealers) speak English. This being said, saying "Bonjour" (pronounced "bonjoor" for hello) and "Merci" (pronounced "mercy" for thank you) will indeed be appreciated no matter how thick the accent.

My last time in Québec City, I observed an anglophone tourist doing so on the #800 bus to Montmorency Falls. I thought it was very gracious of her. I am sure the bus driver appreciated and I did too.

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

The Montreal mayor just announced this morning that there will be no horse drawn carriage this summer in Montreal...so if you planned on a tour like this and visiting Quebec city, that will be your only option.

• 2 weeks later...

I know coins only are accepted on buses, but that you can buy cards with a "smart" credit card at various locations (but not on buses). What I'm not sure about is whether a credit card without a pin number is accepted at purchase points for a card (two trips, ten trips, 24 hour card, etc.) My U.S. credit card now has a chip, but I'm not sure if I'm set up to put in a pin. Is the pin only needed at a purchase point where there's nobody there to see the card, or is it always needed? Thanks.

I know coins only are accepted on buses, but that you can buy cards with a "smart" credit card at various locations (but not on buses). What I'm not sure about is whether a credit card without a pin number is accepted at purchase points for a card (two trips, ten trips, 24 hour card, etc.) My U.S. credit card now has a chip, but I'm not sure if I'm set up to put in a pin. Is the pin only needed at a purchase point where there's nobody there to see the card, or is it always needed? Thanks.

That's a good question...

First, coins are accepted in buses and coins and bills are accepted in all subway stations ( there is always at least one booth with a person in it who sells the passes, tickets, etc...)

In many subway stations there are machines who sell the tickets also...do they accept US credit card with or without a pin ?? I don't know and I am not sure the Montreal transport society ( STM ) would even be able to answer that...

That being said, I am sure you will travel with some CDN money...make a withdrawal on your credit card to get cash and use it in a regular booth to buy your tickets...much easier and foolproof.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Back in February (posts #377, #379), I posted information about the temporary cruise ship terminal. From the comments I have read on CC and from my "source", things are running pretty smoothly.

It is important to stress, that to have access to the facilities at berths 34-37 (for midsize ships), taxi drivers must use the entrance at the corner of Pie-IX (pronounced "pea-nuf") and Notre-Dame East. A lot of effort has been put to make cabbies aware of that but it is good for cruisers to know about it.

For people wondering what I am talking about, who joined this thread only recently, here is the link again:

"Access to passenger terminal"

http://www.port-montreal.com/en/access-to-passenger-terminal.html

I have been lurking on this thread because we are planning a land trip next summer. We plan to spend approximately 10 days in Montreal and Quebec city. When we are in Montreal, we are torn between staying in the downtown area or the old Montreal area. We are interested in a suite type hotel, since we will be spending a few nights, and prefer a little extra room, fridge, microwave, etc. I am looking at the residence Inn in downtown Montreal, the Spring Hill suites, or the Embassy suites. Any opinions on location, and any other suggestions would be very welcome. Thank you so much!

Thanks for all the great info. Were coming in for a cruise the evening before and am stayng at the Hotel Alt. Is it within walking distance of Old Montreal or should we book a tour?

Depends how far you think is walking distance, exactly which part(s) of Old Montreal you plan to see etc. Ballpark it's 2km/1.2miles from the hotel - personally I'd say that a tour or not a tour is more a decision about whether you want a guide to explain stuff to you more than the distance. Cabs are plentiful and cheap for that distance (<CAD$10) if the walk seems too much.

I have been lurking on this thread because we are planning a land trip next summer. We plan to spend approximately 10 days in Montreal and Quebec city. When we are in Montreal, we are torn between staying in the downtown area or the old Montreal area. We are interested in a suite type hotel, since we will be spending a few nights, and prefer a little extra room, fridge, microwave, etc. I am looking at the residence Inn in downtown Montreal, the Spring Hill suites, or the Embassy suites. Any opinions on location, and any other suggestions would be very welcome. Thank you so much!

I've stayed in both Springhill and Residence Inn, plus the InterConty just a couple of blocks from Embassy Suites. I'd go for Springhill over the others location-wise, and much preferred the rooms compared to RI. Can't comment on quality of rooms at Embassy though.

Thank you, do you mind expanding on what you liked more about the room and the location at Springhill suites? I was unsure about it because of the Old Port location (which would be perfect if we were on a cruise this time!) just wondering about the distance from Old Montreal and downtown things to see.

Thank you, do you mind expanding on what you liked more about the room and the location at Springhill suites? I was unsure about it because of the Old Port location (which would be perfect if we were on a cruise this time!) just wondering about the distance from Old Montreal and downtown things to see.

Hi,

The Springhill is right in the middle of the Old port/Old Momtreal district. The district is basically from Berri Street to Mc Gill street ( east to west ) and from the water to Viger avenue. Easy to walk all Old Montreal from the Springhill.

It is also located south of "downtown"....Downtown is a relatively large area. Directly north ( 6 or 7 blocks ) you will find "Quartier Latin" who offers, IMO, the best bars, entertainment and great vibe.

St-Laurent street is where Montreal is divided from west and east...On St-Catherine west ( west of St-Laurent ) is where the shopping happens with all the big names and brands.

East of St-Lautent on St-Catherine you will find a couple of specialty stores and farther, near the Papineau blvd, is the Gay district.

Montreal has one of the longest and most complete "underground" walkable system in Nort America...you can basically visit, eat and shop all over the downtown area without going outside ( great if it is raining ). There are maps available on the web.

Have fun !

I've spent a few nights at the Embassy Suites.

- Location is very close to Old Montreal (walking distance).

- Underground parking garage (extra $$$).

- Subway access across the street.

- Pretty close to downtown.

- The room are very comfortable.

- Free breakfast.

You have to watch the prices though...I've seen it for as little as $129, and as high as $189+.

Sebas gave more detailed info than I would have on location already.

In terms of rooms Springhill's were larger, fresher, and better-laid-out - the RI (to be fair, we only stayed there once - because we thought it was a bit naff - so renos could have happened or better rooms might be available!) had about the worst layout of any long-stay hotel room we've ever had; a really tight entry space due to a cabinet jammed in where it should never have been placed to hold a fridge and microwave, making it awkward to get suitcases round into the room proper. Very poor breakfast too.

What a treat, a last minute visit. The Draken Harald Hårfagre, a drakkar (Viking longship), which has started a 7 months journey in Norway April 26th is spending a few days in Montréal. The ship will be open for visits tomorrow at Quai Jacques-Cartier from 2:00 to 6:00 PM.

I cannot put the FB link here, but it is in this link (with pictures):

http://www.drakenexpeditionamerica.com/route/

• 2 weeks later...
That would be wonderful, but I'm not counting on it. We're going in early May. Is there a way to follow the progress of construction?

I looked at their website. For the moment, I don't see any "time-lapse" (accelerated pictures) to see the progress but if I see one, I will post it here.

I just exchange with someone involved with the reconstruction of the terminal and he told me that the "work is on scheduled and should be ready for the first cruise ship of the 2017 season in May"

I just exchange with someone involved with the reconstruction of the terminal and he told me that the "work is on scheduled and should be ready for the first cruise ship of the 2017 season in May"

Terrific! Thank you. I would love to experience it. Although, to tell the truth, it doesn't sound like the current terminal setup is much of a problem.