Kids and beds

aggie_gal

We'll have our 3 year old with us on our next cruise. Currently he still sleeps in his crib (converted to a toddler bed with a rail to keep him from rolling out). By the time we go on the cruise, he'll likely have moved up to a regular sized bed, but with a rail to keep him in the bed. We're in a cove balcony that sleeps 3 or 4 (I can't remember!)...does Carnival have any of the rails they can attach to the sofa bed to keep him from falling out of bed? If we have a 4 person room, we can potentially put him in the pull-down bed. Just trying to figure all this out because the last thing I want to do is share the bed with my husband and 3 year old!

Some of the rails on the Pullman are not very much taller than the mattress and some are way taller with a very big gap between the rail and the mattress. My DD will be 2 weeks from 3 yrs old on the next cruise. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with her either. I'd prefer her not be with me and DH, but don't want her to roll off the Pullman either. Maybe pull the mattress off the top bunk or see if they have a trundle bed.

Our son will turn 2 the day before we board the Pride. We plan to put him on the sofa bed and take along a bed rail to use. I'm not sure what kind you use at home, but you can take it with you if it's not one of the ones that bolts to your bed.

Walmart sells one that you can use on any size bed for around $20-30 depending on where you live. I'm actually buying one of them tomorrow so we can convert his crib to a toddler bed this weekend.

Here's a link to one that you could use. The website is sold out right now, but they carry them in a lot of stores that carry baby and toddler bedding.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/DEX-Safe-Sleeper-Bed-Rail/21672974

When my son was small....2 or 3...he had a trundle bed. Went to sleep and he was right next to us. Woke up and he was gone.....i immediately had every horrible thought imaginable. Then i heard a little cough....somehow he had rolled under the bed. After that i rolled beach towels to block him.

Was on ncl though....not sure if that could potentially happen with the beds on carnival.

Thanks all! I thought about bringing a rail with us...we drive to the port so it wouldn't be a huge deal. I like the idea of sliding the table over...I guess we could always put a suitcase against the edge of the convertible sofa too. I might shoot my PVP an email and see if she can find anything out since we already know what room we'll be in.

We travel with the Regalo travel cots. A standard crib sheet fits them, and they are $24 on Amazon. They fold up like bag chairs. We've got 2 for our 3 and 6 year olds, and have been using them for several years. I put a folded up hotel blanket down, then put a crib sheet over it, and it is comfy enough for the kiddos. Then, during the day, it is easy to fold it up. They are light, so you can just push them out of the way with your foot easy. We tried the twin blow up mattresses, but it wasn't "bed like" so to my 3 year old, it was a big game to keep jumping on it, and he slid off at night. In short, he was a PITA to get to bed. These are like little beds, so the kids are more compliant. They are also nice when we have company at home because they are a nice place for the kids while guests take over their real beds. The sheets they come with are a joke though...you will definitely want your own. We use the PBK velour ones and they are super soft.

regalo-my-cot-portable-bed.jpg

2 options. Instead of having the sofa bed made up as a sofa bed, just leave it as a sofa, turn it around so back is facing out into the room. Then make the couch up as a bed with sheets, blankets, etc. The back bolsters will still be velcroed to the couch and will act as a barrier. We've done this more than once and never had any issues. The other option would be to bring an inflatable bed rail. They fit on any size mattress and fold up super small in your suitcase. We've also gone this route and it worked just fine.

We travel with the Regalo travel cots. A standard crib sheet fits them, and they are $24 on Amazon. They fold up like bag chairs. We've got 2 for our 3 and 6 year olds, and have been using them for several years. I put a folded up hotel blanket down, then put a crib sheet over it, and it is comfy enough for the kiddos. Then, during the day, it is easy to fold it up. They are light, so you can just push them out of the way with your foot easy. We tried the twin blow up mattresses, but it wasn't "bed like" so to my 3 year old, it was a big game to keep jumping on it, and he slid off at night. In short, he was a PITA to get to bed. These are like little beds, so the kids are more compliant. They are also nice when we have company at home because they are a nice place for the kids while guests take over their real beds. The sheets they come with are a joke though...you will definitely want your own. We use the PBK velour ones and they are super soft.

regalo-my-cot-portable-bed.jpg

Just want to second this idea. We have one for our almost 3 year old. It works great! We've used it on several different weekend trips, and are brining it with us on our next cruise. Also, when little man is sick we set it up in our room, so he's close to us, but not kicking us in the head all night :D

The bedding matches the number of people in the cabin. They wouldn't put 3 people in a cabin that has 4 beds. They would only do that for last minute bookings to fill the space. Look at the deck plan and it will tell you the bedding in the room. Most likely it's just a convertible sofa and not a pullman since it's a cove balcony cabin. A quad occ balcony would have an upper as the 4th bed. Use the sofa cushions as a barrier or get some extra pillows from your cabin steward.

We have a Shrunks toddler air bed...i was just worried about it taking up so much space, but we could put it under the bed when not in use. That might be our best bet! I completely forgot we had that! We can always try the sofa bed and if it doesn't work, the toddler bed is nothing to set up.

Shrunks-toddler-travel-bed7.jpg

Our our most recent cruise we had an inside with two pull down beds. Our 5 year slept in the pull down that was not directly over our bed. The room steward put some additional pillows up there, because even though there is a rail, there is a big space. In addition I picked up the largest pool noodle I could find at Target for $3.99 and we put it up there to make the gap smaller. We just carried it on the ship with us.

For the 3 year old, we requested a trundle bed from our Steward and it was placed underneath the other pull down. It was almost like they were in bunk beds. It did take up room on the floor but it worked great. The 3 year old probably would have done fine with the pull down but it worked better for us b/c that pull down being directly over us was really awkward to me.

We sat at table one cruise who traveled with one of those travel cots. They loved it. Since he is so little you could use the back from the couch and use like a rail on the bed. (Using the table and suitcase too). I slept on our last cruise on the couch bed and it was comfy.

Well, that sounds like no fun at all. Then again, with kids in the room there may be no fun at all anyway, unless they are sound sleepers.

Hmm... Are you sure? My good friend's toddler slept with them and they still managed to have 2nd. ;)

Archived