Viking Chateaux, Rivers & Wine

vcgeno

We are sailing on the April 12 Cruise and I received our Viking Package today. Thought you may be interested.

On day 2 we will be in Pauillac (Margaux) and have a included Chateau dinner and wine in Margaux at the Chateaux Kirwin.

On day 3 they offer an optional tour of the Cmus Distillery to see how the cognac is made. You get to process your own blend that you take home with you. Price 179 euro.

On day 4 they offer an optional tour, tasting and lunch at the Chateau Sieurac for 79 euros.

On day 5 they have an included tour in Sauternes at Chateau d" Arche to taste the Sauternes.

Chateau Kirwan is classified as a third growth from the 1855 Bordeaux classification. Their wines have not been very highly rated over the last few decades. I'm not sure why, the latest info I have is the winemaker is not as esteemed as others. Still, it's a beautiful estate and should be nice to look at.

We are taking this cruise with 2 other couples on sep 20, 2014. Will be coming up from Barcelona. Will be interested on reviews once they begin sailing.

Any suggestions for hotels in Bordeaux?

Sandy

We will be taking the cruise on April 26th. Will be staying at the Adagio Gambetta Apartment hotel in the city center. Had some good reviews on Trip Advisor. For the two of us we reserved an apartment for 4 to give us plenty of room. Price is good and we will have cooking facilities so can take advantage of shopping at the area markets.

Château Siaurac is the most important property in the Lalande de Pomerol appellation with its 113 acres of planted vines and its 19th century landscaped park of 37 acres. In 2012, Château Siaurac won the gold medal for the Best of Wine Tourism Capital for the special program of visit, tastings and workshop. Aline Guichard, a sixth generation perpetuates the long tradition of sharing that her family first started in 1832.

As far as the Camus Cognac visit, 179 euros is $250 per person to make your own bottle of brandy. I do love fine Cognac but you can buy a case of some of the finest Camus cognac for that price. I feel that the cognac visit is overpriced and not worth the visit. On holiday, I normally don't even worry about the costs of items and events but even though I can afford this, I have serious reservations because it is way to high a price for what you get out of it. Anyone else have a different perspective on this?

We are sailing on the April 12 Cruise and I received our Viking Package today. Thought you may be interested.

On day 2 we will be in Pauillac (Margaux) and have a included Chateau dinner and wine in Margaux at the Chateaux Kirwin.

On day 3 they offer an optional tour of the Cmus Distillery to see how the cognac is made. You get to process your own blend that you take home with you. Price 179 euro.

On day 4 they offer an optional tour, tasting and lunch at the Chateau Sieurac for 79 euros.

On day 5 they have an included tour in Sauternes at Chateau d" Arche to taste the Sauternes.

Thank you for the info. Viking also published the full itinerary online today, which includes a more complete day-by-day description of both the cruise and pre and post excursions

tipsygirl ~ thanks for the heads-up about the Viking Itinerary being available on-line!! I checked yesterday morning and nothing - SO happy its finally there! But not happy some optional tours have increased in price!!!

Thanks again!!

I see nothing on line that was not their months ago. Where are you finding the info you are referring too?

On the Viking website if you select "Your Trip", then under the heading Already Booked select Itinerary and Departure Information. In this section the full cruise booklet that includes an expanded itinerary for each of the Viking cruises is listed. Chateaux, Rivers, & Wine - Bordeaux to Bordeaux now appears as the first listing under 2014 Europe Itineraries. Click this title and you can see the full 42 page booklet. And as was mentioned by FotoPeg, the cost of the optional tours is slightly higher for upcoming cruises.

You speak with some knowledge, can you elaborate some on the wineries you visited and the wines you tasted? It would be greatly appreciated. What kind of prices are you referring to with some of the tastings?

Sorry for the delay. I appreciate yours and all of these messages as well as we prepare for our July trip.

Our trip in '13 was for two weeks - one full week in the Bordeaux region and one split between the charming town of St. Jean de Luz and Barcelona.

Our first stop was St. Emilion where we camped at the Logis Rampartes. We visited Fronsac's Chateau La Dauphine for a tour and tasting. This was a nominal fee and we purchased a bottle - all for 29 euros. Obviously, La Dauphine is not one of great houses, but their wine is delicious and the winery has been lovingly restored by the current owner who lives on site. The Chateau is beautifully located overlooking the Dordogne. Fronsac is understandably proud of their heritage as a quality producer and they are aggressively staking their claim these days in the wake of a decline over the last few decades. Small wineries like this offer the best experiences in my opinion. We toured this Chateau alone with the guide so it was a very personal and rich experience. Contact the beautiful and so friendly Marion Merkur at the winery if you plan to visit.

Next was the great Chateau Figeac on the Pomerol border. Tariff for the tour/tasting was 15E each. We tasted their premier cru Figeac '08, and their seconds, Petit-Figeac and La Grange Neuve. Again, lovely hostess and a warm and welcoming tour.

Other St. Emilion tastings were in one of the many excellent wine shops lining this medieval town. Ours, in the shop across from our hotel sampled several houses unavailable in the States. All offered to ship of course, but that is much much easier said than accomplished.

Over in the Medoc, we stayed at the Hotel Rollan de By in the north Medoc. The Rollan de By is owned by a chap who had also purchased Chateau Graysac and Haut Contissas. Our stay was augmented by a private tour with barrel tasting of their very promising Rollan de By, Medoc.

Lynch-Bages offered a great tour as well, for 35E each of all five of their wines including their standard bearer. Lynch-Bages virtually owns the little village around them and they are very wine-tourism friendly. Stop for a nice lunch at Cafe Lavenal on site. We had a delicious special of a cold canteloupe soup accompanied by Sauternes - heavenly.

Mouton-Rothschild was a highlight. We opted for the grand tour (there are several levels) at 40E each which included the winery, the can't miss museum, and a tasting of their second growths and their famed Grand Cru. The winery was recently overhauled and it is a must stop for any wine fan. Do not miss the fabulous museum with the original artist label drafts from every vintage from the world's greatest artists.

Finally, an errant cork's throw away from Mouton is Pontet-Canet. This winery has also been lovingly restored by the current owner and is in the process of converting their operations to completely Organic. I think you'll find Pontet-Canet to be a throwback of sorts to the fine tighter, tannic wines we may have first tasted way back when from Bordeaux. The Chateau tour is one of the very best we made.

We did visit Lafite Rothschild, but only a brief stop on their property and front office, which are open to the public. Winery visits are a much different matter!

In conclusion, I was impressed by the tours being so different from one another. Each winery has their own differentiation in their processes. They are all fiercely protective and proud of their wines as being just a bit better than their neighbors down the road. Remarkable really! Enjoy this little piece of paradise!

Simply google your favorite wine for ample information, in English, about their Chateau and tourism.

loge23....Thank you so much for the valuable information you shared.

We will be taking the Bordeaux cruise in August and will be in Libourne (St. Emilion) and wondering how far Fronsac's Chateau La Dauphine is from the port. We would love to make arrangements to visit this winery. How long was your tour at this winery? Would you suggest visiting other wineries in the area also?

Rose

loge23....Thank you so much for the valuable information you shared.

We will be taking the Bordeaux cruise in August and will be in Libourne (St. Emilion) and wondering how far Fronsac's Chateau La Dauphine is from the port. We would love to make arrangements to visit this winery. How long was your tour at this winery? Would you suggest visiting other wineries in the area also?

Rose

I can't be certain about the distance, but La Dauphine was no more than 5 minutes from Libourne as I recall. I do highly recommend!

Figeac is also fairly close to Libourne - no more than 10 minutes.

There are many others in the vicinity. Great reference below:

http://www.saint-emilion-tourisme.com/uk/que-faire.html?idcat=3

Also, in St. Emilion, stop in and say Bon Jour to Madame Tapon, just across the street from the Logis Ramparts Hotel. Madame Tapon, her husband, and young daughter have been in the wine business for decades. They have a small shop and a visit is a warm, engaging up front experience of the great Bordeaux wine growers. We had by chance just purchased some of the Tapon product before our last trip and basically wandered into her shop, delightfully making the connection. Madame Tapon was so happy to hear we purchased her wine in the States! She said, we grow the grapes and bottle the wine and have no idea where in the world it goes after it's purchased!

You will love this region and the people!

Hi GoPack - we are on your sailing on April 12!

We too thought the cost for the Cognac optional tour was excessive! I would like to go to Cognac, but don't care about my own special blended bottle. I wonder if they would offer a reduced price to just go on the bus, but not do the bottle part. I'm sure that must be what's driving up the price. Or would you have any interest in sharing a taxi or local driver to go to Cognac?

GoPack and id4elizabeth ~ if you do share a taxi or somehow get to Cologne please bring back all the infomation!!! Four of us are going ont he cruise (2 couples) and the guys are interested in making Cognac but us two women would just like to see the town! Any info would be a big help!!!

Also - I'm really interested in Arcachon but wondering about the value of the Viking Optional - they don't mention the name of the restaurant. If you or anyone takes this trip please try and remember the info!!!! (And I'm sure many others might enjoy further details!!

Thanks much - enjoy your trip!!!!

Hi Loge23 - Regarding your mention of Mouton Rothschild, what town is that located in? Sounds great!

Mouton, Lynch-Bages, and Pontet-Canet are all in Paulliac. Couldn't be too far from the dock site - 5-10 minute taxi would be my estimate. Btw, the riverside of Paulliac where we dock is really a very nice street lined with cafes and shops.

Shucks - doesn't sound from the description Viking just posted that we'll have much free time in Paulliac - only one evening after dinner, and the wineries will no doubt be closed by then. I'll keep them on my list though, just in case we can squeeze them into the agenda. Thanks loge23!

Don't know if any CC members are on the first few cruises. Maiden cruise began March 22nd and many members don't post until afterwards.

On December's cruise, I had good intentions of posting - with photos - daily but found that internet service wasn't always good enough to send photos. Plus there was just too much to do, too many people to talk to - never had enough time to post much! And I was waking up early - and not because bed was bad! - but because my theory is I can sleep at home for free and hate to "waste" precious vacation time asleep!! Found the library/lounge perfect for early coffee and communications via my tablet or ship's computer.

I'm sure manyof us are anxiously awaiting answers to our questions!! There's at least one member on an April cruise. So hope to hear soon!!!

Since there's been questions about when CC members will be taking the early cruises, I thought I'd take a quick look back to try and assemble a "roll call" of cruise dates and members. For some I could only find month and I presume the year of 2014. If you'd like to add a specific date please just post it. Any mistakes, also just post and I'll fix. And if anyone wants first names added I'll be happy to do that. If I missed anyone, I'm sorry - it was simply an oversight!

April 2014 ~ id4elizabeth

April 12, 2014 ~ Go Pack

April 26, 2014 ~ tipsygirl

May 17, 2014 ~ kidfixer

May 17, 2014 ~ MalibooNewYork

May 31, 2014 ~ ABQcruiser

July 2014 ~ loge23

July 2014 ~ vcgeno

July 12, 2014 ~ SueFrankuk

Aug. 16, 2014 ~ lovetocruise17

Aug. 23, 2014 ~ MABoat

Aug. 30, 2014 ~ roebud

Sept. 6, 2014 ~ indianrider

Sept 13, 2014 ~ smokinmike

Sept. 20, 2014 ~ zmjh45

Sept. 27, 2014 ~ parkie

Oct. 4, 2014 ~ FotoPeg

Nov. 1, 2014 ~ Laffey724

Thanks for putting this together FotoPeg!

Id4elizabeth here - and I'm on the same April 12 sailing as GoPack. I promise to post feedback from our trip, but as you said, it might be after the trip is over, depending on the internet service. Hopefully GoPack and I will meet each other. When DH and I went to Russia with Uniworld, I knew I was on the same trip as Franski, but we couldn't find each other on the boat and continued to use CC to message each other on how to meet up in person. So GoPack, if you're reading this, let's figure out how to get together BEFORE we leave.

I just got a UPS notification this evening that Viking has sent me a parcel - hopefully that's our boarding documents and package. We plan on leaving early (April 6) and are flying into CDG Paris, renting a car and touring ourselves through the Loire Valley, and then driving to Bordeaux to board the Forseti. After that, we're renting a car again and driving to Chalon sue Soane (2 days) to do the Viking Portraits of Southern France cruise, ending in Avignon. After Avignon, we're renting another car and spending 3 more days in Aix before flying from Marseilles to Paris and then home. We'll be gone about 24 days in all, and with all these rental cars, should probably buy some Hertz stock before we leave.

Hopefully, I can post something right after the Bordeaux cruise, as I know there's no info out there since this is a new itinerary. I'll also keep an eye out for the Uniworld cruise ship as it's itinerary is the same, but don't know if the dates/ports line up exactly. Interestingly, I was going to go on the Uniworld cruise instead of the Viking, but decided on the Viking because of the Loire Valley excursion, which Uniworld doesn't offer. But when the details came out from Viking about the Loire Vally tour, I wasn't particularly interested in where they were taking us and the hotels didn't do much for me, so I cancelled the extension. So I could have booked the Uniwrold trip after all, whose dates were a bit better for us. Oh well - the good news is that our experiences on both lines are just about the same.

Busy now putting together maps and such.

Fotopeg, did you take the Cluny optional tour on the Portraits of Southern France cruise? If so, would you recommend?

id4Elizabeth ~ Glad you like the idea of the "roll call" - thought it'd help keep track of when others were traveling.

Cluny - we didn't take the optional tour - and it was cancelled due to lack of interest. I don't think it had anything to do with the actual tour, but more that it was on the first day sailing and the top deck was full of passengers enjoying the river! That was out first River Cruise and it was fabulous to be so close to the shore as we sailed - such a difference from Ocean cruising!!

As I remember, we didn't even dock at Macon but sailed right into Lyon arriving there about 10:30-11pm. And it was fabulous sailing into the city at night and enjoying all the lit-up buildings!

We did take the optional at Arles - the medieval town of Les Baux - now filled with many little stores and artists - a little similar to St Paul de Vince although Les Baux is much more "rocky" as I remember.

We also went to Pont du Gard on the Viking optional - just unbelievable! Avignon was a difficult choice since we wanted to see both optionals offered. But we decided to spend 2 nights in Avignon and took a private all-day Chateauneuf de Pape tour the day after the cruise. It was a fabulous day! There was another group of 6 making our group 8 in all and the guide arranged a private wine tasting lunch in a wounderful, small hotel in the area - we'll never forget that meal!!! But I will say that passengers who took Viking's tour said it was excellent.

Can't wait to hear about all your adventures!!!!!

First update below. Hope id4elizabeth adn Go Pack meet-up on their cruise!!!!

April 12, 2014 ~ id4elizabeth

April 12, 2014 ~ Go Pack

April 26, 2014 ~ tipsygirl

May 17, 2014 ~ kidfixer: Linda

May 17, 2014 ~ MalibooNewYork

May 31, 2014 ~ ABQcruiser

July 2014 ~ loge23

July 2014 ~ vcgeno

July 12, 2014 ~ SueFrankuk

Aug. 16, 2014 ~ lovetocruise17

Aug. 23, 2014 ~ MABoat

Aug. 30, 2014 ~ roebud