Questions about DIY in Naples

sweetpea222

I've been reading like crazy, but still seem to have some questions regarding our DIY plan for Naples. We'll be in port on Thursday July 18 from 8 am - 7 pm.

We are a family of four (two kids aged 12) travelling with extended family, including grandparents in their 70s. Our immediate family's plan is to visit Sorrento and Pompeii, but I'm not sure the order to do it in. I've read that in the summer, Pompeii is best to visit in the morning, so the route would be train to Pompeii, then train on to Sorrento, then hydrofoil or train back to Naples.

I've also read that the afternoon hydrofoils can be cancelled due to bad weather, so it might be best to do the opposite route, first take the hydrofoil to Sorrento, then train on to Pompeii and back to Naples. BUT people have mentioned the heat in the summer in Pompeii can be brutal, and we have an elderly person with us. :confused:

What would be your recommendation given the time of year we're there?

Also, can you give me an idea of how much it cost to take the train and the hydrofoil? Is it better to plan to head back to Naples by train rather than hydrofoil if you have the time? How long would it take vs taking the hydrofoil?

I've been searching the train timetable sites and I've been struggling to find the info I want easily, in order to create a plan for the day. Has anyone done this recently and can share their daily schedule with me?

Many thanks, as always.

I agree the heat of the summer in Pompeii can be terrible. Would suggest you get there as early as possible to avoid the heat and crowds. We rode the train from Naples to Pompeii didn't go to Sorrento but the ticket we bought could have included going to Sorrento and back to Naples. Bought a combo ticket for train Pompeii and Herculeam round trip. We walked to the train station but if someone has mobility issues would suggest taking a taxi to train station. Walk through Naples to the trainstation not the nicest walk. Since there are several of you might be better to look at a private tour. Unless you really are interested in history could skip the private guide in Pompeii and just buy the book.

Cant remember cost of train and entrance but did find all the info about taking the train on this website. Detail instructions.

It will be broiling early in the day in July, so I'd do whatever is most important to you first. That way, if you're wiped out after your first stop at least you've done what was most important to you.

Assuming that your most important goal is Pompei, I'd head there first thing. I strongly recommend the SITA bus rather than the train, as the bus gives you a much better chance of getting a seat, the air conditioning works better, the bus stop is much closer to the cruise port than the train station, it takes the same or less time, and it's overall a more pleasant experience. The price is the same for the bus or the train.

The current schedule has a bus at 9 AM (arrives Pompei scavi at 9:35), in July there may be more times added so you'll need to keep checking the schedule until the summer one is posted. You can find the bus schedule here: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/public/tpl/campania/5001.pdf

It's fairly unusual for the ferries to be cancelled, but if they are you have an easy fall back option with the Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento to Naples.

The bus or train ticket between Naples and Pompei (U3) costs Euro 2.90.

The train between Pompei and Sorrento (E3) costs Euro 2.20.

The train between Sorrento and Naples costs (U5) costs Euro 4.10 and takes about 70 minutes, plus time to get back to the port.

The ferry between Sorrento and Naples costs Euro 12,30 and takes 40 minutes.

We have taken both the train and the ferry from Sorrento to Naples but not the bus. I would very much recommend the ferry over the train. The train was hot, crowded (no available seats, had to stand most of the way) and filled with musician/beggars who got on at every stop and off at the next to avoid paying. The passing scenery was all poor peoples back-yards and grafiti.

The ferry was a quick cool ride with plenty of seats (on our trip), fantastic views of Sorrento and the bay of Naples, a half hour quicker and stopped at the harbor beside the cruise ship dock.

Well worth the extra cost.

The ticket I purchase from Naples to Pompeii do I use it to return to Naples or do I purchase a new ticket.

If you purchase a point-to-point ticket you need to purchase one for each segment. There are all-day tickets but they don't make economic sense for most port stops.

We are a family of four (two kids aged 12) travelling with extended family, including grandparents in their 70s.

It's important to know that there is an Autogrill inside the ruins at Pompei. It's not on this map, but it's near #23 (http://www.unicocampania.it/files/mappe/mappa_scavi.pdf).

If you arrive by either the SITA bus or the Circumvesuviana train you'll enter the ruins at Porta Marina (bottom left on the map). The Autogrill is nearby and may be a good place to park your elderly relatives if the heat is too much for them. You'll exit again from the same place so you'll be able to collect them when you're ready to leave.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

So it makes the most sense to go to Pompeii first thing after we arrive. If we take the bus there, where exactly is the stop and do we buy tickets nearby?

From a machine or from an agent?

How long is the train ride from Pompeii to Sorrento?

We have 11 hours in port, so I'm hoping we could hit Pompeii as early as possible, due to the heat, and maybe have a later lunch in Sorrento and a couple of hours to roam. Then the ferry back to Naples makes sense because it is a. cooler. b. faster and c. drops you off closer to the ship.

Adding up the transportation costs for bus/train to Pompeii, train to Sorrento, and ferry back to Naples, it's still much less expensive than the ships tours. :rolleyes:

Just for comparison's sake, the cost of the ship tour "Flavours of Pompeii and Sorrento" is $189 per adult and $89 per child. That's $556 for the four of us, and it basically includes transportation and a stop for olive oil and cheese tasting. When you look at it like that, the extra cost to take the hydrofoil back to Naples is a bargain. I added up the bus/train/hydrofoil costs as listed above and it works out to 70 euros total.

The SITA bus depot is at Molo Immacolatella Vecchia and there is a ticket office right there. If you make a google map using these coordinates then go to street view you can see the office and where the buses park (40.84189,14.257913).

The bus depot is 4/10ths of a mile from the cruise port, which is located at Molo Angioino.

The bus stop in Pompei is on Route 18 (Strada Statale 18). If you make a google map using these coordinates (40.74692,14.483826) and go to street view you'll see the bus shelter, just in front of Spartacus Campground.

The entrance to the ruins is 2/10ths of a mile from the bus stop. You backtrack for a few steps from the stop along route 18 then turn right at the first corner, Via Villa dei Misteri. Follow this road as it curves to the left and climbs up a small hill and the entrance will be on the right.

The train from Pompei Scavi to Sorrento takes about 30 minutes.

Oh, I absolutely agree about the cost to get in helping to preserve the ruins. I don't mind paying, just was wondering how much cash we should be bringing with us.

Thanks for the detailed advice, it is much appreciated!!

It's so great to be able to get first-hand advice here from people who have done it and lived to tell the tale. We are travelling with people who have cruised a lot, and have always taken the ship sponsored excursions. For some ports that makes sense (we're doing it in Ephesus) but for others, it's nice to know you can DIY with a little planning and being organized.

The money we will save DIY will help pay for the rest of our trip, which includes (besides the cruise) 3 nights in London, 2 nights in Venice, 2 nights in Barcelona, and two weeks in Paris. :D

Is it possible to take the bus to Herculaneum?

Thank you

No, not the SITA bus. You can easily take the tram to Porta Nolana & then the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Herculaneum. I have created a google map with the directions from port to tram > tram to Porta Nolana. If you are interested, I can email you the link to the map. My email in included in my signature at the bottom of my post.

Archived