Think I'm ready to go - am I missing anything?

Thanks to all the great messages on this board, I think I'm ready for my first cruise with my DSLR. I'm bringing the following camera gear. Please let me know if I'm missing something real important.

- Canon Rebel t3i DSLR with 18-55mm kit lens (plus UV & CPL filters) - indoor pictures mostly - will leave this lens on the ship and only bring the Tamron into port

- Tamron 18-200mm lens - for daylight pix (plus UV & CPL filters) & lens hood

- blackrapid Metro strap

- lowepro a/w bag

- extra battery (and of course charger & cord)

- 7 memory cards (9 night cruise)

- ziploc bags for the camera - for condensation & possibly for beach use

- Nikon Coolpix P&S (in case it's too windy at the beach for me to feel comfortable taking out the DSLR)

- Disposable waterproof Fujifilm - for that small handful of underwater pix I know I'd end up wanting to take.

- Zeiss lens wipes, rocket blower

I am deliberately not bringing my tripod (I'm sure there's a limit to my husband's patience with me setting up a shot). I'll just brace myself well and hold my breath. :p

Does it seem that I'm prepared, or am I missing something important?

I am deliberately not bringing my tripod (I'm sure there's a limit to my husband's patience with me setting up a shot). I'll just brace myself well and hold my breath. :p

Does it seem that I'm prepared, or am I missing something important?

You could bring a chain pod or a bean bag for those low light hard-to-hold shots.

DON

Do you have an external viewer, like an Ipad. Nice to load off the camera and review your pictures at the end of the day and also save and store.

Tom :cool:

Following this post - before we go in July, will have iPad. None I have asked know how easy to download pictures. Please advise. Thanks, Linda

Great point! Yes, my husband is bringing his tablet and we're going to upload the pictures onto that each day (and keep them on the cards too - just in case).

I don't know how to upload pix on an ipad, but on the tablet we have, we can just insert the memory card from the camera and it will load the pictures, and give me the option to erase them from the memory card or not (I'll go with "not" until I get home).

Great point! Yes, my husband is bringing his tablet and we're going to upload the pictures onto that each day (and keep them on the cards too - just in case).

I don't know how to upload pix on an ipad, but on the tablet we have, we can just insert the memory card from the camera and it will load the pictures, and give me the option to erase them from the memory card or not (I'll go with "not" until I get home).

You can buy the

Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit. connect to your Ipad, insert your card and download your pictures. Make sure when they are loaded, will ask if you want to save your pictures on your card, say yes. Now you have your Ipad pics and your care to take home and download to your computer.

Tom :cool:

7 memory cards, say 8GB each, is probably too much to back up onto an ipad. I carry a pocket size Nexto portable backup drive, though there are other brands offering similar devices. You can install your own drive of whatever capacity you want. I put in an SSD drive for speed, robustness and low battery drain.

Paul

Consider protective film for the rear LCD.

The camera manual (or a digital version of it) could be useful.

The rubber pads used to remove jar lids can remove a stuck filter.

You can also buy a wrench that removes filters ($5.50).

If you are flying, put your extra camera batteries (and charger) in your carry-on.

The TSA doesn't allow loose lithium batteries in checked luggage.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/safe-travel-batteries-and-devices

I carried a digital voice recorder on my last cruise and used it to capture the commentary from the bridge as we passed through the Panama Canal, plus the narration of several tour guides. I added it to my still pictures and video when I made a DVD of the trip.

Have a great cruise.

Archived