Sanctuary...what is that?

KathieKata

The Sanctuary is an adults-only area on upper decks with thickly-padded (6-7") comfortable loungers and attendants to bring you drinks, food, etc. and see to your every need. If it's chilly, they'll bring you a blanket. If it's hot, they'll bring you iced towels. Tea is served at around 3pm with delicious pastries, sandwiches, cookies, etc. plus tea or coffee. It's $10/half-day, $20 for a full day, $15/day for the full cruise.

On the Island/Coral, the Sanctuary is at the back of the ship and there's a small pool you can dip into to cool off. Attendants will bring you towels, drinks, etc. by the pool. On the other ships with a Sanctuary, it's at the front of the ship.

Here's a photo of the Sanctuary on the Sapphire:

DSC00072.JPG

DSC00071.JPG

DSC00077.JPG

Here's the Sanctuary on the Island/Coral:

DSC00537.JPG

DSC00492.JPG

DSC00493.JPG

Not all ships/sailings offer a discount for booking the entire cruise. We paid $20 per day per person for the entire cruise on the Emerald Princess in late February. Wish we had gotten the discount - it meant an extra $100 for the 2 of us on the 10-day cruise:(

But, we did have a fabulous time there!!

So when you are in the sanctuary which of the following is included and which is an extra cost?

1. The sandwiches that Pam mentioned

2. Brewed coffee

3. Soda

4. The afternoon tea and pastries

Also when you pay for a half day is it for a set number of hours or is it broken into a morning and afternoon session?

Thanks!

The tea cart is offered a lot of places on the ship, and is included in your overall ship experience. For anything else to eat or drink you need to pay extra. There is a spa menu. The only thing they serve throughout the day is flavored water - citrus or cucumber. It is just above an adults-only pool, which is very nice, but cozy. It's extremely relaxing and quiet in the Sanctuary. You choose your bed when you pay and it's there for you all cruise - no one else can use it. They sell about half of the beds for the whole cruise, and half on a daily or half-day basis. There is less demand for the Sanctuary on port-intensive itineraries and more competition when cruises have a lot of sea days.

The Sanctuary opens at 8:00 and closes around 5:00. So I'm guessing the time division is around 12:30. We've always been able to book for the entire cruise, so I'm not sure.

Gail

So when you are in the sanctuary which of the following is included and which is an extra cost?

1. The sandwiches that Pam mentioned

2. Brewed coffee

3. Soda

4. The afternoon tea and pastries

Also when you pay for a half day is it for a set number of hours or is it broken into a morning and afternoon session?

The sandwiches (they're small but there's a selection of 6-7 different ones that change every day) are included with afternoon tea and pastries. They're all free.

They will get you coffee from the buffet. Likewise soda if you have a soda card or you can sign for it.

The morning session is 8:00-12:30pm; afternoon session is 1-5pm although you can stay as late as you want. The attendants leave at 5pm. If you're going to do the half-day, the afternoon is the best time. :)

There is also a menu of items that the attendants will get for you for a $3 charge. Hopefully, you can read this:

DSC00076.JPG

Pam, If you ask attendants to get you drinks, how do you handle the gratuity in the Sanctuary? Do you just wait til the end of the cruise, or would you add it to the bill you sign? I've always hesitated to ask them to go get drinks, because I wasn't sure how to handle the tip, or how much of an inconvenience it was. :o

How do you sign up for the Sanctuary? We'll be on the Pacific Princess (small ship) in the Black Sea which is a port-intensive cruise, but there are some sea days and some ports we are not so interested in.

Do we have to make a booking when we board or can we wait?

Regarding tipping, whenever they brought me a drink, I'd give them a dollar. Sure that can add up, but they bust their hump and I save up ahead of time to make sure I can tip them. I think they looked at my card for the soda sticker once, never signed for a soda all week.

Also, probably because I was always tipping each time I got a soda or an iced tea brought to me, I was NEVER charged the $3 delivery fee, and was not limited to the menu they had in the Sanctuary. They brought me pizza, burgers, you name it. The staff is just incredible, and "waiting on you hand and foot" is an understatement, you're really pampered up there. We paid $15/day for the week, but I would not have hesitated to pay 20.

Pam, If you ask attendants to get you drinks, how do you handle the gratuity in the Sanctuary? Do you just wait til the end of the cruise, or would you add it to the bill you sign? I've always hesitated to ask them to go get drinks, because I wasn't sure how to handle the tip, or how much of an inconvenience it was. :o
I had a soda card and they just kept bringing me sodas. At the end of the 17 days, I gave them a very large tip. It was the same 2-3 attendants and I used the Sanctuary every day, even port days, for at least a while. I never ordered food or anything else because I wanted to get up and move around so I went to the buffet for lunch.

The smaller Princess ships do not have a Sanctuary. There is no space for them and usually, there are very few kids on the small ships.

On the Island/Coral, the Sanctuary is at the back of the ship and there's a small pool you can dip into to cool off. Attendants will bring you towels, drinks, etc. by the pool. On the other ships with a Sanctuary, it's at the front of the ship.

Here's the Sanctuary on the Island/Coral:

DSC00537.JPG

DSC00492.JPG

DSC00493.JPG

Caution!! That wake view is like Xanax...I slept so hard I'm pretty sure I drooled! Don't miss at least an afternoon here if you're ever on the Island or Coral. It's well worth the expense.

The Princess website says, "The following ships DO NOT have wheelchair access to the Sanctuary: Grand Princess, Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess, Star Princess, Pacific Princess and Diamond Princess." Therefore, I can only assume that the Pacific Princess does, in fact, have a Sanctuary.

So, can anyone tell me how and when you sign up for the Sanctuary?

The Princess website says, "The following ships DO NOT have wheelchair access to the Sanctuary: Grand Princess, Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess, Star Princess, Pacific Princess and Diamond Princess." Therefore, I can only assume that the Pacific Princess does, in fact, have a Sanctuary.

So, can anyone tell me how and when you sign up for the Sanctuary?

I suspect that's a typo because the Sapphire Princess has a Sanctuary but it's not wheelchair-accessible. The Ocean and Pacific Princess do not have a Sanctuary. However, if you can find one on the deck plans and want to sign up, you'd sign up in the Sanctuary. That's the only place you can sign up.

Thanks, Pam--just what I needed to know.

I double-checked the deck plans and there is a "Sanctuary-looking" space at the bow on Deck 9, but it's not labeled "Sanctuary", so I'm not sure. Since we can't book it until we board, I guess I'll find out then.

Just off the Ruby today. We had priority boarding, so we were on the ship by 11:30 and went straight up to the Sanctuary (deck 17 forward). We were the second ones there so basically had our pick of chairs.

Later in the cruise, I overheard somebody say that they didn't get on the ship til 1:00, and by then all the weekly reservations were gone. They had to wait in line each morning to get chairs for the day.

On sea days, the line started forming at 6:30 am, even though they didn't open until 8:00.

The price is $10 for half day, and $20 for full day. If you buy the whole week, it's $15 per day ($105 for week).

There are three attendants that work there all day, every day. We chose to give them each nice tips at the end of the week.

Wow!! When did they make that HUGE price reduction??? Might look at doing it sometimes now!!
That's been the price for quite a while although on some cruises, they don't discount if you book the entire cruise.

Not to worry, though. It'll be $15/half-day and $25/day on the new Royal Princess so I expect prices to go up on the other ships.

Archived