Need help with ship time vs. island time....

KPfromCT

Good Morning Everyone!!!

We are leaving one week from today for the Eastern Caribbean...

St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, and Nassau...

Will the ship time be the same as the island time?

This confuses me, and scares me, as we are taking some independent tours.

And while they "guarantee" you to get you back on time, I don't want to be a pier runner and get heckled.:eek::eek::eek:

The one I know that are definitely the same are St. Thomas, Tortola, and Nassau. I am 99% sure Antigua is the same as well. But I have never been there. During the summer months (at least for STT anyway) they are the same time as the East Coast. however, during the daylight savings months during the fall/winter they are 1 hour ahead of us because they do not follow daylight savings.

I hope this helps!

Helen

Ship time will be the same as the port you left. Don't trust your phone, take a watch!!

Not always true!

I would have said the same thing - prior to our Breeze cruise in February. But they asked us to change our clocks - the night of the the first full day at sea - just before we got to St. Thomas and then we changed them back the night of the last sea day - just before we arrived in Nassau. Which hasn't happened for us on a Carnival cruise in a LONG time.

I hear that it's up to the Captain - which is why some ships are and others aren't......:rolleyes:

I agree - don't trust your phone - unless you have turned off the "auto update" for time - because it will convert to the "local" time unless you set it NOT to!!

The one I know that are definitely the same are St. Thomas, Tortola, and Nassau. I am 99% sure Antigua is the same as well. But I have never been there. During the summer months (at least for STT anyway) they are the same time as the East Coast. however, during the daylight savings months during the fall/winter they are 1 hour ahead of us because they do not follow daylight savings.

I hope this helps!

Helen

Those were our ports in February - on the Breeze - and they asked us to change or clocks! :o

Not always true!

I would have said the same thing - prior to our Breeze cruise in February. But they asked us to change our clocks - the night of the the first full day at sea - just before we got to St. Thomas and then we changed them back the night of the last sea day - just before we arrived in Nassau. Which hasn't happened for us on a Carnival cruise in a LONG time.

I hear that it's up to the Captain - which is why some ships are and others aren't......:rolleyes:

I agree - don't trust your phone - unless you have turned off the "auto update" for time - because it will convert to the "local" time unless you set it NOT to!!

So, I should turn off the "AUTO UPDATE" feature, and I will be OK?:o

Not always true!

That is unusual for Carnival. But in February there was a time difference but there won't be in April since we are now on daylight savings time.

I have found this site to be helpful when trying to determine the time in a port:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Under the search enter your port of embarkation and the port you will be visiting and then click on Convert Time.

Sharon

Good Morning Everyone!!!

We are leaving one week from today for the Eastern Caribbean...

St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, and Nassau...

Will the ship time be the same as the island time?

This confuses me, and scares me, as we are taking some independent tours.

And while they "guarantee" you to get you back on time, I don't want to be a pier runner and get heckled.:eek::eek::eek:

Whatever port you're leaving from is the time zone your ship will be on. So, I'm assuming you're leaving from Florida...ship time will be EST. But chances are, island time will be the same...I do happen to know that St. Lucia is on EST.

But all that other stuff was filler...just remember that the ship's time is always the same time as the port you leave from. Have fun on your cruise. I'm so jealous...I don't leave until July.

Pier running is part of the fun :D

Maybe as a spectator sport, but not when I'm the runner:eek::eek::eek:

I love them as much as the next person, I just don't want to be the star of the show...lol

Whatever port you're leaving from is the time zone your ship will be on. So' date=' I'm assuming you're leaving from Florida...ship time will be EST. But chances are, island time will be the same...I do happen to know that St. Lucia is on EST.

But all that other stuff was filler...just remember that the ship's time is always the same time as the port you leave from. Have fun on your cruise. I'm so jealous...I don't leave until July.

Not "always"...please see my previous post on this thread. :o

That is unusual for Carnival. But in February there was a time difference but there won't be in April since we are now on daylight savings time.

I have found this site to be helpful when trying to determine the time in a port:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Under the search enter your port of embarkation and the port you will be visiting and then click on Convert Time.

Sharon

Agreed!

But that's why I worry when responses keep saying Carnival "always" stays on the port of departure time. Because I know from expereince now - that's not true! ;)

Not "always"...please see my previous post on this thread. :o

I read it. I think I recall on one cruise where we were told what time to set our watches to, but it's very vague at the moment.

So, maybe, we should all start stating that the ship's clock is set to the same time as the port you depart from UNLESS the CD instructs otherwise. :)

I read it. I think I recall on one cruise where we were told what time to set our watches to' date=' but it's very vague at the moment.

So, maybe, we should all start stating that the ship's clock is set to the same time as the port you depart from UNLESS the CD instructs otherwise. :)

Yes! It seems to vary ship to ship - based on the Captain's preference, I've been told!

You'd think that for consistency - Carnival would want all ships doing it the same way. But I guess not....

So for now - the answer to the OP's question is read your Fun Times carefully. If they want to to change the time it will be on the front page! ;)

Archived