Cozumel

Good morning everyone, The Mariner Western itinerary has an excursion in Cozumel that goes to Playa del Sol beach. Tried to find opinions about it on the Ports of Call board to no avail. Everyone seems to love Paradise Beach. Are they one and the same, or different? If different, has anyone been on the Playa del Sol excursion? Thank you

I second HDawson's advice.

Although I've done excursions in Cozumel in the past (through Cozumel Tours), Cozumel is a good place to do-your-own thing.

As for Paradise Beach...PB Tom makes the place an attraction, but there are many very nice places to enjoy the beach along that same stretch. Palm Beach, right next door, is another nice beach place with chairs, umbrellas, and fabulous food.

This trip I plan to take the nephews to play mini-golf, and then head to the far side of the Island to enjoy the scenery.

From what I have gathered, many of the beach clubs at Cozumel are within walking distance, so you can take a taxi there and visit more than one.

Paradise Beach and Palm Beach are raved about here but from other research I have done, they are pretty small beaches and often empty, so it may or may not be what you are looking for. Nachi Cocum is another popular beach club that offers a lot of amenities, including a swim-up bar.

Playa de Sol is now called Playa Mia and has a lot of amenities such as restaurants, bars, a shopping area and a petting zoo. It is also pretty crowded when there are a lot of ships in port, and can get pretty rowdy, so its not a relaxing beach experience, but seems like it could be a lot of fun. There is no reason you have to go through the cruiseline to do a day at Playa Mia - you can just as easily do it on your own, and that way you don't have to go with the herd.

Here is a map of the beaches at Cozumel so you can get an idea of how close together they are: http://cozumelmexico.net/Cozumel-Beaches.html

stoneharborlady

I can answer your question. I've been to both. We've been to Playa del Sol beach excursion several times. It's a nice beach with a little petting zoo right before you enter the beach area. Once you enter you walk through a little shopping area where you can buy things and then you enter the beach. There is a big pavillion like place where there is a swim up bar and pool and the beach has umbrellas and chairs right along the beach. You can rent jet skis and there is a trampoline out in the ocean and there is usually beach games going on. You can get massages and there is bathrooms and showers. Oh and you can get food and drinks of course.

Now, Paradise Beach.... I like it better. The umbrellas and chairs are in better condition. Very clean beach area. No swim up bar, but the service and food is better. No coverage charge...you just pick out your spot (chairs/umbrella) and they bring the drinks right to you and food and you can run a tab. Tom is great, he's one of the owners. They have the cleanest restrooms and there is also kayaking, trampoline and water toys for a charge of $5.00. Of course you pay for your drinks and food.

You didn't say if it's adults going!!!! If it's only adults, I would pick Paradise Beach, but there are more children activities at Playa del Sol.

That's my opinion and you'll love Cozumel. You can also do Playa del Sol on your own without buying an excursion. You just pay at the gate for all you can drink and they give you a wrist band.

I hope this has answered your question.

Have fun

Linda

You might try Dzul-ha; it's a beach club. Take water shoes, because it has a rocky entrance to the water. The snorkeling is good! They have pretty good food and cold refreshments. There is no entrance fee, but you are expected to buy some food/refreshments. The taxi is reasonable from the pier, but always ask the fare before getting in a cab in Cozumel.

Good morning everyone, The Mariner Western itinerary has an excursion in Cozumel that goes to Playa del Sol beach. Tried to find opinions about it on the Ports of Call board to no avail. Everyone seems to love Paradise Beach. Are they one and the same, or different? If different, has anyone been on the Playa del Sol excursion? Thank you

Playa del Sol was alright...the beach was clean and there were plenty of chairs. There was even a live band. In addition they had a small pool. Alcoholic drinks were covered by the $28 price tag, but there was VERY LITTLE alcohol in them. I think the cab ride was $14 each way.

Playa del Sol beach.

Think it's called Playa Mia now. We've been there twice, and it was OK. The food wasn't that good, but overall the place is adequate. Nachi Cocum has a great beach outing, marketed at http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelBeachBreak.htm. We're doing it next January. Lots of Cruise Critic reviews at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=133452.

Has anyone been to Paradise and Nachi Cocum?? Have pretty much narrowed it down to these two! Am leaning toward NC due to the large pool, swim up bar, and all inclusive feature. Also, I wonder if Paradise is usually more crowded due to all the publicity, closer to piers?? It also sounds as if it may attract a younger/rowdier crowd possibly?? DH and I will be without kids this time, and would like a slightly more serene experience!! Have also heard good things about Palm.

Can anyone compare/contrast the above beaches??

Thanks!

stoneharborlady Seeing your name makes me think of Henny's and Bud's Meat Market! ;) (We've ALWAYS lived in SC ... but have friends with a house at "The Shore" in Stone Harbor.)

Think it's called Playa Mia now.

jwlane is absolutely correct! Playa de Sol is NOW Playa Mia!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Carlos and Charles I can take or leave, I mean after all, how many drinks can be poured down your throat in one afternoon?

Well lets see. Honestly it is a record that is awful fun to try and reach especially after a couple hours of snorkling. 5 yards of beer and that definately starts the restuarant moving like the boat

Has anyone been to Paradise and Nachi Cocum?? I've been reading a lot about these two beaches and I can't seem to make up my mind as to which one the wife and kids would enjoy more, any help?

DBSailor

Archived