Back from Beijing to Bangkok

We are back (and recuperating from jet lag) after a wonderful 16 days cruise from Beijing to Bangkok. We stayed in Bangkok for an additional three days and it was wonderful. The cruise was very enjoyable. I have read reports of food not being as good, wine of lesser quality, service not up to par. Well, we didn't experience any of that. The food was very good, the wine was flowing and if we didn't like what was poured we simply requested something else. The service was as good as I have always experienced with Regent, and the tours were good and we had excellent tour guides. There is nothing I can complaint about. Once again, Regent proved to be a luxury cruise line and satisfying in every way. We enjoyed all the ports and seeing Asia was a great experience. We did experience a hiccup. First, the Chinese authorities delayed our departure from Beijing. That coupled with a loss of propulsion made the ship miss high tide needed to enter river in Shanghai. The upshot was we didn't arrive in Shanghai until 7pm instead of noon. In order to get to Hong Kong on time we had to skip Xiamen. Not a big deal in my opinion since Xiamen was not at the top of my list. The rest of the cruise went without a hitch. Things happen and it was too bad we had propulsion problems. However, that episode didn't take away from a wonderful, memorable cruise. I recommend this cruise to anyone who wants to see Asia. We did the three day pre-cruise tour in Beijing. It was excellent. The China World Hotel was beautiful with excellent service and the excursions were very good. A little bit rushed, but we had a lot to cover. We had a very good tour guide in Beijing and loved all the sights. All-in-all a cruise to remember.

Archived