Starboard or port?

Hi

We are looking at a Carnival cruise next July to fiji and was wondering which cabin would be better on the starboard or port side? We would love to use our balcony especially in the afternoon but I was worried it could be too hot

Maree

Hi

We are looking at a Carnival cruise next July to fiji and was wondering which cabin would be better on the starboard or port side? We would love to use our balcony especially in the afternoon but I was worried it could be too hot

Maree

We're just back from a 12-day Fiji cruise where 3 of the 5 ports were tender ports and the other 2 docked on the Port side if I remember correctly.

I usually prefer the Port side but had a Starboard cabin this time and found that it really made no difference!

You're on a ship, having a wonderful holiday! Enjoy!

Gae

Thanks Gae,

I just paid our deposit, I'm so excited although its over a year away lol can I ask which onshore tours would you recommend?

Thanks for the reply

Maree

Which ports are you visiting?

We went to Lifou Island, Vila, Port Denarau, Suva, Isle of Pines so I can give you information about all of them.

It was my first visit to the Pacific Islands and I LOVED IT! Will certainly go again.

Gae

We are going to Noumea, Mystery Island, Port Denarau, Suva, Isle Of Pines

I'll look up my diary notes and get back to you.

In the meantime, if you go to the P&O thread you'll find lots of information on there for the Pacific cruises as they're going there all the time.

Chat again tomorrow!

Gae

You will dock at Noumea and Suva, most likely on the port side and your other 3 stops will be tendered.

Suva can have a police band playing and marching on the dock as the ship ties up to the dock.

Thanks for your replies, I'm very excited about our first cruise, actually it's my first overseas trip :)

Gae we are cruising with Carnival, but I'm sure they will habpbe lots of information on their website too, it's just nice to get information from someone who has visited those ports.

Maree

I have the following suggestions:

* Port Denarau - the port for Nadi - you will have to take a tender to port here as the Harbour is quite shallow.

We had a little 1/2 day trip organised here which took us to the Orchid nursery for a native welcome and karva ceremony and other sights around Nadi including their local marketplace before we were dropped back to the Port area where there was some entertainment for the tourists - band playing, fire-eaters, dancing & juggling etc.

It was a Sunday that we docked so lots of authentic tourist spots were closed. We were interested in visiting a village and seeing some typical craft-making but that wasn't available.

There's lot to do here with many tourist buses ready to take you around the sights and I'm sure you can get lots of ideas from others who have visited here.

Next time I go I might think about booking a catamaran to travel to one of the outlying islands.

*Suva - you will dock here - we docked starboard - this is where the police band will greet you as you tie up. Be on the lookout for them or you will miss them.

Once again we had a 1/2 day ship's tour arranged here which took us out to the Cultural Village where you will see fire-dancing which, in my opinion, was VERY staged but OK I guess if you haven't seen the real thing before.

It took about 3/4 hr to get there then the same back again after which we were dropped at one of the huge department stores to buy, buy, buy. I didn't go to Fiji to shop. I wandered around the area a little but be aware, it's NOT the safest place to be on your own so I went back to the ship for a late lunch.

Try to find a tour that takes you up to one of the villages where you'll experience authentic culture.

*Isle of Pines - once again you will tender here. When you arrive at the dock there's a little tent where it's possible to have your passport stamped. These were also available in Vila & Fiji if you look out for them.

Here the locals set up seafood stalls to sell cooked lobsters, prawns & fish along the park behind the beach. There are a couple of souvenir/dress shops along with quite a few stalls set up by the locals. Be aware that French is their language.

There was a local bus along with some 8-seated vehicles which will take you to another side of the Island for $15 for 45 minutes. This is certainly worth doing as you'll see a typical fishing village and lots of other places.

There was also ONE cafe/restaurant a fair way along the beach but they were woefully unstaffed so we didn't bother to order but just sat on their verandah looking out to sea towards our ship, sipping on our water.

The water here was very nice so there's lots of opportunities for swimming on both sides of this island. Snorkeling not as good as other places as the water was not as clear.

We LOVED this place for it's laid-back attitude but couldn't help thinking that with all the tourist ships visiting SOMEONE could make a fortune here if they were enterprising enough.

Gae

Archived