Ancient wonders-what trips to do

:confused:Ok now into the planning stage, as we have never been to Turkey or Greece before I am totally flumoxed as to what we need to go and see on our itinery. Now for those of you who dont know me that well I am into wow type views, not a great lover of long all day trips (Much prefer the 4 hourish ones) The thought of getting lost in a souk terrifies me. Loved going to chichen ittza in mexico, the collaseum, pompei, love gaudis work etc. So dont want to see some rocks on the floor that used to be something but fascinated by history. Think I may want to do something in athens but not sure what. We usually only go on two organised trips as we like to get away from port but I get quite tired with my medical condition (MS) so I have to be careful not to push myself too far as I have been known to drop asleep in the bar and waste valuable drinking time. So over to you, please inspire me.

Thanks

Shirley:)

Ok now into the planning stage, as we have never been to Turkey or Greece be fore I am totally flumoxed as to what we need to go and see on our itinery. Now for those of you who dont know me that well I am into wow type views, not a great lover of long all day trips (Much prefer the 4 hourish ones) The thought of getting lost in a souk terrifies me. Loved going to chichen ittza in mexico, the collaseum, pompei, love gaudis work etc. So dont want to see some rocks on the floor that used to be something but fascinated by history. Think I may want to do something in athens but not sure what. We usually only go on two organised trips as we like to get away from port but I get quite tired with my medical condition (MS) so I have to be careful not to push myself too far as I have been known to drop asleep in the bar and waste valuable drinking time. So over to you, please inspire me.

Thanks

Shirley

Oh Shirley, I know what you mean. We hate trips more than 5 hours and especially ones that involve getting up at some ungodly hour in the morning :rolleyes: That is why we tend to book on board when we have all the facts at hand. I love views too - never get over the wow factor of gorgeous scenery :)

As I said, I love views and hate piles of stones. We were taken to some in the Orkneys, standing in freezing winds listening to the guide droning on :rolleyes: Mind you the island itself was beautiful and St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall was fabulous, but I digress :rolleyes:

Just looking at your itinerary, I can only comment on Marmaris and Kusadasi, both good places to just walk round. I have stayed in Marmaris and it has lots of shops, bars etc and is quite a big place. We went to Kusadasi for the day while staying in Turkey and there were several cruise ships docked right near the town. Ephusus is fabulous, but tiring.

I didn't realise you had MS. I once thought I had it, but fortunately it turned out not to be the case. One day, maybe they will find a cure :)

I expect someone else will help you on the Greek places. Greece and the Black Sea are "to do" cruises for the future, if the money holds out :rolleyes:

Hi Shirley :)

I'm sure you'll love the mix of places on this itinerary.

I would suggest you try the half day trip to Ephesus from Kusadasi although there is a fair bit of walking through the site although when we went the guide took his time and didn't rush us. It is spectacular though and something not to be missed imo. I'm sure you would enjoy it provided you are up to the wlaking but you do need to wear shoes/sandals with a decent grip as the marble slabs can be slippy - also take a hat and water as it can be hot. They usually offer a whole day trip too (probably include something else as well) but it's quite unnecessary as you will see everything you need to of Ephesus in the shorter trip.

No worries about getting lost in the bazaar in Kusadasi it's just several streets which rise up from the waterfront - just head downhill and you will emerge at the sea and be able to see the ship. The traders can be a little persistent but there is a great shop at the top end of the bazaar area as the road starts to climb quite steeply - on the right is a shop (you go up two or three steps) and he has a notice saying 'No hassle' - and he's right. you can go and browse, pick things up - he never bothers you at all. We bought loads of little knick knacks there as a result as we had time to look and choose without pressure. There are loads of 'Genuine fake' shops with leather goods, handbags, footbal shirts, jewellery etc. I like it - and it's not like the souks we've been in at say, Tourandant you just have to be prepared to say a firm 'No thanks'. There are loads of cafes in the vicinity of the port and a waterfront too.

Of course the other place which has fantastic history and wonderfully iconic places to visit is Istanbul. I'd say do this on your own but perhaps by getting a taxi into the centre - the Topkapi Palace is great but do the Harem as well (payable extra) as that is the most spectacular part. Also go early before the crowds. The Topkapi is is the same vicinity as the Hagia Sophia (it really didn't bowl me over tbh and was reasonably expensive to go inside) and also the Blue Mosque (free entry but avoid prayer times).

The other thing to see is the Bazaar - now that is a bit confusing - we always end up coming out of a different entrance to the one we went in - but it's just like a proper market (good shots of it in Skyfall) and the traders don't bother you at all. How much you will be able to do I'm not sure but there are street cafes around in the main tourist areas so perhaps you can have little rests from time to time - but if you go under your own steam you will be avle to judge how long you want to spend at any site and also decide when you've had enough. The tram's good to get you from the port to the centre but it depends on whihc exit they are using for the port how close the nearest tram stop is - that's why i suggest perhaps a taxi would suit your purposes better.

Mykonos I'd just have a lazy day exploring and enjoying this charming little town. I absolutely love it. Don't know where else you'd go from there but it offers a lovely contrast to the likes of Istanbul and Kusadasi.

Athens - well with your interest in history I'd say you would like going to the Parthenon - perhaps the hoho which you can pick up at the port would be the easiest and most convenient way for you to get there - and you can come back just when you want to. There is some level walking from the nearest drop off before you start to climb (unfortunately) to get to the top of the Acropolis. But if you can do it - I'm sure you'd find it fascinating. Again in the area of the Acropolis there are loads of cafes and a wonderful atmosphere is the Plaka where you could get some sustenance.

I've not been to Mytilene so can't help with that one and depending on your flight time you may not have long in Marmaris - but if you do have a couple of hours I'd recommend you walk out of the port, through the up-market Marina and onto the waterfront where there are some lovely cafes so you can have a sit (colourful cushions - very turkish!) and have a drink. It's a really attractive waterfront and a lovley setting with the mountains surrounding the bay.

Happy planning Shirley - I'm sure you will love your first experience of Greece and Turkey - we love the area. Can't beleive it's not so long ago that we'd never been either - but we were very quickly converted and keen to go back! ;)

Thank you so much both of you I will start investigating. The MS isnt so bad I just hit this brick wall if i push myself too hard but it hasnt stopped me walking about or indeed working and travelling so for that I am very grateful, I really hope this cruise is fantastic especially after the way the last one ended I really cant stop thinking about those five families of the crewmen and wondering how they are all coping. sad isnt it. Anyway I must also get into my diet so that I can fit into my holiday clothes again after all the chocolate of last week.

Info, in Athens after the Accopolis, which is definitely a must, wander down to watch the changing of the guard....very funny.:D

I can't remember the times, or the way exactly but if you reseach you will be able to find the information.

Info, in Athens after the Accopolis, which is definitely a must, wander down to watch the changing of the guard....very funny.:D

I can't remember the times, or the way exactly but if you reseach you will be able to find the information.

That was the highlight of my day in Athens - the Changing of the Guard! We took the Thomson Athens on your own bus which literally drops you off by Plaka, not far from the Parthenon & you can walk easily from there - quite hilly to walk up but just pace yourself!

Mykonos - we did a great jeep trip with Thomson; my husband drove us in our own jeep with our 2 kids but if you didn't want to drive, the tour guide will put you in a jeep with another couple - it was a half day trip around the island; we all loved it & saw lots - there is time to walk around Mykonos Town after but as we are going back is year, we just went straight back to the ship.

Must do a 1/2 day to Ephesus - that was fab; they try to get you to go to a carpet shop after but it is in Kusadasi so we just walked straight back to the ship although if you haven't been to Turkey before, it might be a good experience for you!

Istanbul is very easy to DIY - we took the trams into the centre & visited Topkapi first - beautiful, especially the Harem which you have to pay extra for then we did the Underground Cisterns - worth a visit; fascinating! Then we headed for Blue Mosque & Spice Market. Going back this year to do the Sulieymane Mosque & Aghia Sophia.

Well as I work in the flooring industry that could be quite interesting how would you get a carpet home anyway

Oh don't worry about that Shirley, they will send it to you :rolleyes: Mind you, they cost thousands of pounds :eek:

We were taken to a carpet factory on a trip in Turkey. I went in and then felt a bit dizzy and hot, so went out for some fresh air. When I went back in they had all moved on :rolleyes: So I went outside and sat on a seat and someone brought me a yoghurt drink. Well I thought it would be like actimel or similar - but it was awful - really sour :eek: So beware if they offer you one ;)

We tipped ours in the flowerbeds when no-one was looking :D

I'm considering this cruise (ms magots birthday....a surprise) anyone know about the turkish viza situation for cruisers.....I'm guessing if they are necessary they will be available at the airport?

I'm considering this cruise (ms magots birthday....a surprise) anyone know about the turkish viza situation for cruisers.....I'm guessing if they are necessary they will be available at the airport?

If you are just doing a cruise, you do not need to pay for a visa - you just complete a form on the flight & hand in to immigration upon arrival - you also go through separate immigration queue on arrival. You just need to complete another form prior to leaving cruise ship too. If you do cruise & stay, you still complete the form & do not pay on arrival but £10 for your visa will be addded to your onboard account by Thomson prior to your stay part.

We did this itinerary last year ( except Lesbos) and will be doing it again this year as part of a B2B with Black Sea; it's a lovely itinerary - looking forward to exploring more of the destinations!

GeO I do not remember getting a Turkish via when transiting through Dalaman, I think it was because we were going straight onto the ship

thanks guys.....it does look a lovely itinerary.....am quite keen to explore the labyrinths of istanbul:eek: again......and a couple of new places (for me) lesbos and I have never actually ever been to athens either (any tips/what to see would be v much appreciated)

also never been on celebration

this ones looking like a plan:cool:

thanks guys.....it does look a lovely itinerary.....am quite keen to explore the labyrinths of istanbul:eek: again......and a couple of new places (for me) lesbos and I have never actually ever been to athens either (any tips/what to see would be v much appreciated)

Athens - must see the Changing of the Guard! Celebration is great; look forward to sailing on her with her "spruce up" to Platinum.....

Hi Geo, Im on this one as well, and just at the planning stage, although with what i have planned for Istanbul i think i may get left behind and miss the rest of the cruise :)

Athens i will be doing the Athens on your own trip (as advised by Julesmiles) up to the Acropolis, wander round Plaka and catch the changing of the guard.

Kusadasi - Ephesus, at the moment am looking at a private tour. The price is coming out very reasonable and the company concerned has fairly good write ups on TripAdvisor, Has the advantage over Thomson as private transfers, own guide and even affordable as a couple.

I did consider going on the horse riding trip, but i have concerns about any animal being used as tourist attractions so going to be true to myself and leave that one alone :o also as i am very accident prone Mr T said i would have to take my body protector with me and leave my 17 pairs of shoes behind to make room/weight for it so that sort of swung it :D

Lesbos and Mykonos still not sure, may just wander round and relax, but will keep looking on here to see what other have done.

Hi Geo, Im on this one as well, and just at the planning stage, although with what i have planned for Istanbul i think i may get left behind and miss the rest of the cruise :).

Look forward to hearing what you end up doing in Istanbul, Topsey; it's amazing what you can fit in in the time there though - we did a lot & had to be back to the ship by 430ish to get ready for our Blessing!! Still undecided with hoho bus as it seems you still have to catch the tram to get to the starting point, it goes no-where near the Sulieymane Mosque where we want to go & some of the reviews haven't been too great; still think it would be a good way to see a bit more than just trams or walking for us though being as we have done some places before........

By the way, the Thomson Ephesus trip was excellent - it was not too busy & we didn't feel like we were herded around like sheep! (Always have been impressed with any Thomson trips we have done tbh and the guides we have had have always been very good & very informative ;) )

Hi Jules

The Thomson trip we did to Florence was very good (even though we managed to loose our guide, turned round and she and every one else had disappeared, tagged onto another group though :D)

Looking at Kusadasi trips i fancy a look as Sirince and Ephesus but Thomson dont appear to combine them..... the private operator will at 96 USD each (that price is for the two PX only and does include entry fees, if more PX the price drops).......and they have promised to miss out the carpet factory :rolleyes:

What time do the Thomson trips depart to Ephesus

Hi Jules

The Thomson trip we did to Florence was very good (even though we managed to loose our guide, turned round and she and every one else had disappeared, tagged onto another group though :D)

Looking at Kusadasi trips i fancy a look as Sirince and Ephesus but Thomson dont appear to combine them..... the private operator will at 96 USD each (that price is for the two PX only and does include entry fees, if more PX the price drops).......and they have promised to miss out the carpet factory :rolleyes:

What time do the Thomson trips depart to Ephesus

We left quite early - must have been 8.30-9ish; we went to St Mary's House too - that was worth a trip. We were back to the ship by 1pm - the coach dropped us in Kusadasi & we just walked a couple of minutes back to the ship whilst others who either liked carpets or were too polite to say otherwise went to the carpet place lol!

Just had a look at Sirince; sounds quite a nice trip; might consider that one for us as we weren't sure what to do this year from Kusadasi!!!! They've reduced their trips; they did do one that covered what you are wanting last year - it was a full day, I'm sure. How far is Sirince from Kusadasi??!

W

How far is Sirince from Kusadasi??!

Sirince is 30K from Kusdadasi and 12K from Ephesus......If we do it it looks like straight to Ephesus approx 2hrs there then on the Sirince for an hour or so, then back to the port, they are also willing to pick you up early straight after docking so we can get to Ephesus for opening at 8.00 am (hopefully still fairly cool at that time :) )

Sirince is 30K from Kusdadasi and 12K from Ephesus......If we do it it looks like straight to Ephesus approx 2hrs there then on the Sirince for an hour or so, then back to the port, they are also willing to pick you up early straight after docking so we can get to Ephesus for opening at 8.00 am (hopefully still fairly cool at that time :) )

Sounds good although still tempted with Kusadasi cycle ride! We were at Ephesus in mid August; heat was ok; our guide took us to what little shade we could find every time she stopped to talk to us! Managed to buy supplies of water from shop opposite entrance to Ephesus. If you like cats, there were lots of beautiful ones in Ephesus - wish we had taken some cat biscuits as they were eating anything people were giving them; bread & ordinary biscuits even!!

great infos here guys, many thanks

I just love the planning stage

a private tour of ephesus....I like the sound of that:cool:....especially if i could get this arranged before we go....could be much brownie points init for me;)

great infos here guys, many thanks

I just love the planning stage

a private tour of ephesus....I like the sound of that:cool:....especially if i could get this arranged before we go....could be much brownie points init for me;)

Geo - have a look at ephesus shuttle dot com

thanks for this joe....brilliant (thumbup):cool:

I didnt realise the transfer to port was an hour & half!!:eek:

quick Q....did you notice any duty free shop at arrivals in Dalaman? also any duty free shopping in the Greek ports? (dont want ms magot fretting about her cigs):(

Geo.

Another old thread for you... better than watching 16 kids and counting eh...

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1659739

There is duty free at Dalaman on the way out not sure if it's available on the way in, I think we bought cigs for a friend last time.

Bet you don't get my super cheap booze deal this year. We couldn't believe it, think it must have been a job lot they got.

Archived