Ancient wonders-what trips to do

At Dalaman Airport there is no Duty Free in arrivals (as I recall ) but to be honest Dalaman Airport is so eye-wateringly expensive the mark up they put on makes the local vendors look reasonable, just outside (the airport)!once you have gone through baggage claim is a small cafe where all the Taxi drivers, coach drivers congregate, we run across for supplies which are more realistically priced, I don't know wether the sell cigs ( I gave up smoking Jan 2003) but they seem to be available everywhere, I am sure if you can't get any duty free you will get some bargins in Marmaris. We are also booking the Exec lounge in Dalaman Airport on they way back more comfortable and cost effective than departures! Can't comment on the Greek Ports.

The transfer did put me off a bit, but not enough to put me off booking (we went to Icemelar years ago which is just down the coast from Marmaris) but it is a very pretty ride. (We normally go to Dalyan which is only 1/2 hour transfer from Dalaman)

thanks for this joe....brilliant (thumbup):cool:

I didnt realise the transfer to port was an hour & half!!:eek:

quick Q....did you notice any duty free shop at arrivals in Dalaman? also any duty free shopping in the Greek ports? (dont want ms magot fretting about her cigs):(

The transfer seems to go very quickly Geo - you won't notice it! That was one of my worries as we have always had short transfers before. We had such an early flight out that we dozed for most of the journey from Dalaman to Marmaris! On our return trip, we ended up in a minibus which was not the most comfortable ride ever but we got back even quicker to the airport; it only took just over an hour!

We have flown into Daylman Airport several times when going on holiday to Daylan and have bought selected bottles of drink(Vodka) From the duty free shop next to the arrivals baggage terminal. We don't smoke so not sure about Cigerettes but there has been a duty free shop at Arrivals for the last 4 years (evern open late at night). Hope this helps.

thanks guys....so I've bitten the bullet & booked it ( a little cheaper today than yesterday....that swung it.....not going to look at the prices again from now on)

also very early flight out....7am:eek:

Great! Sure you'll enjoy it - and getting a (slight) bargain is all the more satisfying. Mrs G is going to be thrilled and I'm sure you'll love the atmosphere on Celebration - just avoid the stern on the lower decks! Look forward to reading a very individual, interesting and amusing report on your return! ;):D

Thanks kruzse…I intend to tell ms magot to pack for somewhere warm & sunny fingers crossed this will be a nice surprise…….I know she has been hankering after the Celebration for some time….we both have:cool:

thanks guys....so I've bitten the bullet & booked it ( a little cheaper today than yesterday....that swung it.....not going to look at the prices again from now on)

also very early flight out....7am:eek:

Blimey geo, have you won the lottery? :D:D

Well done :) Celebration was our first cruise and got us hooked :)

When are you going?

Blimey geo, have you won the lottery? :D:D

Well done :) Celebration was our first cruise and got us hooked :)

When are you going?

nope...sadly not....its ms magots birthday so I have to be seen to be making an effort (excuse for brownie points really)

yep, celebration is getting mostly v good reviews at the moment, we have never been on celebration so v excited to be able to see for myself

going in july btw (before school breaks up....will safely stow kids in grandmas cupboard)

Well done what date in July and is it for one week. How exciting wish mine would be so proactive but no chance hope you have a fab time. When are you telling her a lady needs time to plan ( shop, diet etc) now get your countdown clock done.

I intend to just tell her to pack for somewhere nice and sunny (hopefully I wont get the 'isit upmarket? how many stars?' 'its not going to be the caribbean again isit? third degree) she has a strange sixth sense/dark art when it comes to things afoot in this household:confused:

info between you & me only...dont tell her;)....15th july, 1 week, celebration, ancient wonders:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread because I have been doing a bit of clearing out and just found the card of the shop in the Bazaar in Kusadasi where the notice outside is 'No hassle' and in case anyone who is going would like to browse without any pressure - here it is:

'souvenir sami & silver'

There's a little map on the back and from Harbour Souarf (straight up from the waterfront) third turn right (the other turns are also streets of the Bazaar) is Orient Bazaar. Right at the top (the ground rises) and facing you is this particular shop. It is actually on Kibris Str.

He has a lot od souvenir type goods but not leather, fake sports gear etc or the like - but we found if great for little gifts etc and he is true to his word - he leaves you free to look, touch and inspect items without ending up stuck to your shoulder! Happy souvenir hunting!

Archived