Luggage Tags - is this for real???

[quote name='sstepson']No, no...I agree with you....I just didn't phrase it properly. I didn't mean to infer that you were complaining, it was aimed at those who complain about little things like luggage tags.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I, too, have no problem taking 30 seconds to make my tag and get on with enjoying my vacation!

Cheers![/quote]
no problem :)

[quote name='grtar']I have no problem making my own tags. Watching the video was informative. My question is - do you have to make your own debarkation tags during your cruise?:D[/QUOTE]

[quote name='clarea']No, Royal is still giving out debarkation tags for free. At least for the time being...[/QUOTE]

LOL - maybe they now have luggage tag making class on board on sea days :D

OK, I have finally been goaded into revealing my secret method of the luggage tag guarranteed to stay on your luggage:

1. I start out by cutting two pieces of thin steel the size of the luggage tags.

2. I then scan the paper tag into a commercial engraving machine that spray paints the colors of the tag onto the engraved steel strips.

3. Finally I bend the steel strips around the luggage handles and spot weld the ends together.

Easy eh? :D

I will now swear off beating this poor dead horse any futher. :rolleyes:

[quote name='knots4crewzing']We just received our tags holders and love them. I purchased 8 of them all for about $18 w/ S&H. Print out the paper, fold it and stick it in the clear holder. Looks great, and only took about 3 days to get them.
We purchased the narrow ones.

Thank you Laura[/QUOTE]

I bought a bunch too. I plan on printing out my tags and putting those on my luggage and saving the sticky ones I got in the mail for other stuff like if we decide to take soda on board. :)

[quote name='Ashland'][B]You must use very strong printer paper...mine isn't...which is the concern I'm having...I'll just ask the porter for tags...I'll still miss the nice strong airline type and the excitement of getting them in the mail...Wonder what the next cost savings measure will be :eek:[/B][/quote]

Good question. Hopefully the next cost savings measure will be something just as insignificant as this one. :cool:

Just to give a perspective of someone who saw the issue and was not surprised Royal went this way....

You would not believe the number of people that would request multiple sets of luggage tags. We are talking 3-4 sets for a two person cabin. That is 32 luggage tags, folks. And that costs Royal money. And this was not rare, either. I handled probably 4-5 calls a day requesting more. So, at first, Royal started limiting the number of sets you could order. They limited it to two. People threw fits. Said they needed more. Calls doubled, easily, regarding luggage tags. So, to keep costs down, and to appease the people that seem to think they need 32 tags for two people, Royal said print your own.

You can blame those folks for this. If you want them from the line, you can still order them but because they have been discontinued, you will have to do so through paper docs and paper docs are issued through a third party so you are going to pay a fee.

You must use very strong printer paper...mine isn't...which is the concern I'm having...

No, that is not true at all. By the time they are folded, they are 6 layers thick. There is no need for anything more than basic printer paper.

Just to give a perspective of someone who saw the issue and was not surprised Royal went this way....

You would not believe the number of people that would request multiple sets of luggage tags. We are talking 3-4 sets for a two person cabin. That is 32 luggage tags, folks. And that costs Royal money. And this was not rare, either. I handled probably 4-5 calls a day requesting more. So, at first, Royal started limiting the number of sets you could order. They limited it to two. People threw fits. Said they needed more. Calls doubled, easily, regarding luggage tags. So, to keep costs down, and to appease the people that seem to think they need 32 tags for two people, Royal said print your own.

You can blame those folks for this. If you want them from the line, you can still order them but because they have been discontinued, you will have to do so through paper docs and paper docs are issued through a third party so you are going to pay a fee.

Interesting perspective! From Royal's POV, I think it is fair to issue and limit or four tags per cabin or one per passenger; whichever is more. If additional ones are required, then that is up to the passenger to create more.

The plastic luggage tag holders we got from AAA were great and again, if I did not get them from the TA, I would have purchased my own to use again and again. I do agree with cost saving measures to a certain extent. They do need to be very careful not to reach a point where they are like airlines, charging per bag and/or weight for example. Otherwise we'll end up back to the first class, tourist class BS of the 1900s.

~Bob~

Try this:

favors by serendipity dot com / luggage-tags /cruise-luggage-tag-holder

We use these. They work great.

However my sister just folds them as and staples them a couple of times along the edges. After 5/6 folds the paper is quite thick.

I am really amazed we are up to five pages on this, so I will add my thoughts. I also loved doing the "document dance" and I find retrieving them sometimes challenging. I print them out, and pass on to my husband to reinforce with wide tape. I do all the planning, packing, excursions, etc. It is his contribution to the cruise (along with stapling them on the luggage and carrying to the car.)

I just purchased the clear folders from CC and when received he seemed rather disappointed I took his one project away from him. I will just have to find something else for him to help with.:D

I called the C&A D+ desk, since I could not find the place to request having the luggage tags sent to us (since RCI stopped sending out the cruise documents years ago), and I learned that we now are supposed to print out a piece of paper, fold it down, "reinforce it with tape" and find a way to adhere it to the luggage? That is just asking/begging for tags to become ripped off and end up who knows where...We don't sail until June, so our luggage tags aren't ready yet. But what are people doing to try to keep the tags as strong as possible? I think I have a few sheets of self-lamination laying around...I just CANNOT BELIEVE that RCI is doing luggage tags this way.

Any hints/tips/info would be appreciated

I've never used luggage tag holders on any of my cruises. I've always printed, folded, taped, stapled, then taped some more. We've never once had a problem!

Thanks for the Amazon link! I'm Prime, so an 8-pack for $16.95 with free two-day shipping sounds like a plan to me! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I only ordered one set per cabin for our family, but I can understand the dilema with some people ordering multiple sets. Would charging $5 per set be something Royal could look into doing as that way we could still order tags, but pay for them? I doubt they cost even $5 per set with postage, so it would not be a loss monetarily for Royal. I do have luggage tag holders that I have purchased from an online vendor to use, but would still love the convenience of having pre-printed stick on luggage tags.

I only ordered one set per cabin for our family, but I can understand the dilema with some people ordering multiple sets. Would charging $5 per set be something Royal could look into doing as that way we could still order tags, but pay for them? I doubt they cost even $5 per set with postage, so it would not be a loss monetarily for Royal. I do have luggage tag holders that I have purchased from an online vendor to use, but would still love the convenience of having pre-printed stick on luggage tags.

Perhaps, but remember postage is not their only cost. They hire a vendor to do all of their printing. So they have to consider if the number of people that would purchase those tags would at least breakeven with the printing, overhead, and postage costs. Maybe it would and one day they'll offer this. But if it won't, I am sure they won't even consider it.

I know for me if I was given the choice between paying $5 for a set of tags or printing my own (or having the good folks at the pier fill one out) I would do it myself. I mean, that $5 could buy me a beer onboard!

Here are some steps that might help:

1-Remain calm

2-Take a deep breath.

3-Print your luggage tags.

4-Use clear packing tape to reinforce them on both sides.

5-Do not put the tags on the luggage until right before you go to the port....better yet, when you get there, take them out of the car, and put the tags on before you hand them to the porters.

6-Even better, just give your cabin number to the porters. They will create a luggage tag for you and put them on. No charge, and very quick.

Whew...crisis averted!

Unfortunately to the OP, this is just a sign of the times and the internet age.

Call it "being environmentally friendly." Or the skeptic in me says it is a "cost containment" issue. But I think the days of us excitedly getting that big packet in the mail with everything we needed is long long gone.

I think it's pretty ridiculous too that we're expected to have to make our own luggage tags. I'm sure the majority of cruisers are not reinforcing their tags with clear tape.

Another issues is that people often get or request upgrades. Then there is a problem when the luggage tags have already gone out, and now the cabin number has changed.

If they don't send the tags out, then they avoid a lot of luggage ending up at the wrong cabin, which is a big cost and inconvenience for both the passengers and cruise line.

Another issues is that people often get or request upgrades. Then there is a problem when the luggage tags have already gone out, and now the cabin number has changed.

If they don't send the tags out, then they avoid a lot of luggage ending up at the wrong cabin, which is a big cost and inconvenience for both the passengers and cruise line.

I would hope that that if you have your cabin number changed you would be smart enough not to use the old tags. Like I said before what do we ALL do when we have booked a plane trip? We go to the airport and either the porter or the person behind the counter puts the tags on, So why is this Soooooooooooo difficult for everyone to do for a cruise.

Thanks for the Amazon link! I'm Prime, so an 8-pack for $16.95 with free two-day shipping sounds like a plan to me! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's what Ithought, we are Prime too. The price was not too bad, extras in case we need more. Also, I just ordered them Tuesday and will be here today. Got to love Prime with Amazon.

It is simply a matter of habit and expectation.

If you had never started sending out luggage tags in advance in the first place, or suggesting that people make their own luggage tags, then passengers would expect to have their bags tagged at the pier and we would not be seeing all these luggage tag threads.

If you want them from the line, you can still order them but because they have been discontinued, you will have to do so through paper docs and paper docs are issued through a third party so you are going to pay a fee.
Fair enough that those who want them mailed in advance should pay for them instead of making everyone share the cost whether or not they want them.

Like I said before what do we ALL do when we have booked a plane trip? We go to the airport and either the porter or the person behind the counter puts the tags on, So why is this Soooooooooooo difficult for everyone to do for a cruise.
There also, it just comes down to a matter of habit and expectation.

The airlines never made the mistake of mailing out luggage tags in advance or suggesting that people should make their own luggage tags. ;)

If they had, we would also be seeing threads like this with people complaining about not receiving luggage tags for their flights in advance or the nuisance of making their own luggage tags or purchasing special luggage tag holders for their flights. :eek:

Just received the clear tag holders from Amazon. They are pretty nice....sturdy. I am happy with them......will see how they hold up next month after getting tossed around the pier then ship then to my cabin.

Right now......I feel much better about using these clear holders than just taping and stapling my luggage tags to my luggage.

Thank you to whoever posted the Amazon link.

Archived