Is it rude?

Is it rude to your fellow passengers to break the dress code?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Is it rude to your fellow passengers to break the dress code?

I lived in the mountains of East Tennessee for many' date=' many years and, for some of the people I knew, wearing a shirt under their bib overalls was considered pretty spiffy and was "dressing up" in contrast to what they normally wore. I'll let them know that they'll be gladly welcomed in the dining room on formal night by Mr. Ness. :D

Allen[/quote']

As long as a shower is involved, bring it on. lol

Please see the attached post from another board:

Today, 02:23 PM

CMurph

Cool Cruiser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On one of our cruises, we were seated at a table with another family of four. The husband showed up every night in shorts and t-shirt. The rest of the family dressed basically the same. Formal night wasn't much different....nicer clothes, but not formal. I commented to my husband later about how rude it was and how they should at least make an effort. On a chance encounter with the father in the elevator one day, I found out that they were on this cruise as a gift from Make a Wish Foundation. The daughter of the family had cancer and this cruise was her wish. They couldn't afford the cruise or the appropriate wardrobe. I hoped that the father couldn't see the shame in my face. I vowed never to pass judgement on the attire of fellow cruisers again.

I had to vote 'no' on this one because are too many variables in the way of interrupting the "dress code".

Someone who considers a sport coat, shirt/tie, and slacks as formal wear is not being rude to anyone, but there are some who would not consider that appropriate attire. I don’t even consider someone who wears a dress shirt (w/wo tie) and nice slacks to formal night as being intentionally rude, they might be dressing up to what they consider formal attire for them.

<flame suit on> Someone who wears a nice pair of jeans and a nice shirt on casual night is also not being rude if that is their idea of casual. After all, they aren’t wearing shorts, t-shirts, or a tank top <flame suit off>.

That being said, if someone does wear items that are listed as "not permitted" during dinner (in the case of Carnival: shorts, t-shirts, or bathing attire) because they didn’t want to change or wanted the "shock" of their inappropriate dress noticed could be considered rude. In the case of lost luggage or other circumstances I think certain allowances should be made.

So if the guy sitting across from you on formal night is wearing a dress shirt and slacks cut him some slack, that might be his definition of formal. His definition of how to dress might not match yours, but if you try, you might make a new friend. Enjoy your dinner, your family, new friends and have a great cruise!

I am not flaming you, however i must disagree with your premise. There have to be some standards. Everyone cannot have their own individual definitions. Remember the "Tower of Babel" If everyone had their own definition there would be chaos.

The cruise lines define what they mean by casual, informal and formal. It's their party. They get to define the terms.

Linda

Please see the attached post from another board:

Today, 02:23 PM

CMurph

Cool Cruiser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On one of our cruises, we were seated at a table with another family of four. The husband showed up every night in shorts and t-shirt. The rest of the family dressed basically the same. Formal night wasn't much different....nicer clothes, but not formal. I commented to my husband later about how rude it was and how they should at least make an effort. On a chance encounter with the father in the elevator one day, I found out that they were on this cruise as a gift from Make a Wish Foundation. The daughter of the family had cancer and this cruise was her wish. They couldn't afford the cruise or the appropriate wardrobe. I hoped that the father couldn't see the shame in my face. I vowed never to pass judgement on the attire of fellow cruisers again.

(I posted this on the other thread. Since I started this on, I felt I wanted to post it here as well)

I find this a very moving and interesting story. It certainly proves you can’t judge people by what they are wearing. I think we can all agree on that point. I don’t think most of us do that. These wonderful, deserving people certainly did their best and were certainly not flaunting the rules, by any means.

It reminds me of people I have seen many times in my waiting room. Especially one person, now deceased who was dressed like a street person who had the mind of a genius and the personality of a saint. Anyone of us would have been privileged to know her.

This is a message board about fashion on a cruise ship. We are speaking in generalities here. We are not out to make others feel bad about themselves. We are not about exceptions and heartbreaking individual cases. We cannot possibly know the reasons why all people seem to flaunt the rules. We do make assumptions and generalizations.

I read many assumptions and generalizations about people who dress well. They are called many things and are seen to be always looking down on others. Why is that? All we do is dress up to have what we see as a good time.

Why is it just as unacceptable to prejudge a more formally dressed person as it is to prejudge a more casually dressed person?

Linda

I'm willing to cut people some slack since it is their vacation too. I don't mind seeing men in slacks and nice shirts on formal night or women in casual sundresses. What I don't like seeing is the people in their shorts and tee shirts in the dining room on formal night. The people that I recently saw had on nice clothes for the first formal night so they obviously had not lost their luggage. The second formal night (and the casual nights) the family of four showed up in denim shorts and tee shirts. By tee shirts I mean the kind with printing, such as a concert, "Big Dog", Harley, etc. They apparently knew how to dress for a formal night and were flaunting the rules for the second night. I'm willing to overlook the shorts when paired with a nice shirt on the casual nights, even though this is against the rules on the cruiselines that I have sailed.

I guess I cannot believe that a man does not own a single pair of slacks or a nice shirt or that a woman does not own slacks and a nice blouse or a dress of some type to wear for the formal nights. I'm not expecting everyone to wear tuxes or evening gowns because I know people have different standards of dress. I'm not going to judge people solely by their clothes unless it is obvious that they know better and are still violating the dress codes.

How can ones attire be rude? Inappropriate perhaps, but hardly rude. I think the "verbal comment" in itself would be rude. Would you be willing to confront the inapproiately dressed person and let them know that their outfit doesn't meet the recommended attire for the evening? Would that be rude, or do you have no gumption?

I totally agree with you. Wearing clothes is not rude. This situation seems to be somewhat like my church. My family always wears suits and dresses/nice shirts and dress pants to church, while others wear dirty jeans and wrinkled t-shirts. They are not being rude, and it does somewhat draw attention, but it doesn't ruin the church service. Nobody would dare go up and tell them that they are inappropriately dressed because they may never come back. Personally, I would not go up to someone on a cruise and tell them that their outfit is wrong for the evening, because, well, it is none of my business. They were given the guidelines just like everyone else, and maybe they just forgot to bring the correct clothing. If someone came up to me and told me I was inappropriately dressed, I would give them a piece of my mind. I much rather see someone on formal night wear a pantsuit that fits extremely well but is not very dressy, than see someone wearing a formal gown that is way too small and looks hidious. Just wear what looks good on you. If you don't have the body for a gown, then wear something you look good in. Because if you don't, you will probably be wondering if anyone else notices that you look like a fool in the wrong size clothes.

Wow, there are some real angry people here. I agree with the people who say that it is ok as long as their intent is good natured. If it looks like they tried to dress up and it is their idea of formal, than fine. I could care less.

I would hate for the cruise to be so uptight and you had to worry so much about what was appropriate and what was not. So what if they didn't have a tie on, or were wearing white socks. As long as they are presentable, thats all I care.

Believe it or not, not everyone on board is high class or know anything about "formal" attire. A nice button up top and khakis are considered formal to some.

If some of you get so bent up over what others are wearing, you might want to consider dining at a 5 star restaurant on land and let the people who want to have fun go on the cruise.

Wow, there are some real angry people here. I agree with the people who say that it is ok as long as their intent is good natured. If it looks like they tried to dress up and it is their idea of formal, than fine. I could care less.

I would hate for the cruise to be so uptight and you had to worry so much about what was appropriate and what was not. So what if they didn't have a tie on, or were wearing white socks. As long as they are presentable, thats all I care.

Believe it or not, not everyone on board is high class or know anything about "formal" attire. A nice button up top and khakis are considered formal to some.

If some of you get so bent up over what others are wearing, you might want to consider dining at a 5 star restaurant on land and let the people who want to have fun go on the cruise.

Actually what people wear is only a part of what is happening to the overall cruise experience. I believe most people like to go on a cruise because it is a special event with the formal dining room, the uniformed staff (hard to find that in many casual restaurants today, even the better ones are down to a white shirt and black pants), elegant decor, captains parties, room service, etc.

It is my firm belief and I just talked with a TA that concurrred, that the cruise lines will take out most if not all of the fancy (and expensive) amenities just as soon as they get the majority of cruisers comfortable with the 24/7 casulal dress attitude.

each time you say, "well I prefer dressing up but I don't care what others are wearing, you further push the standards down." Trust me, every cruise line monitors these boards very carefully and the more posters talk about tolerating and ejoying not following the suggested codes, the easier it will be for the lines to dispose of the goodies in the name of a total casual atmosphere.

Once they are gone, then cruising will no longer be special and we as a group will have done it to ourselves.

I am trying to figure out which thread is the best place to put the poll question - Which cruise line will be the first to replace individual full place settings of flatware in the formal dining room with the standard three pieces rolled in a napkin and stuffed in the water glass?

It will happen. Note your calendar that it has been predicted. Keep up the

"it's ok to dress down" postings if you want it to happen sooner.

Actually what people wear is only a part of what is happening to the overall cruise experience. I believe most people like to go on a cruise because it is a special event with the formal dining room, the uniformed staff (hard to find that in many casual restaurants today, even the better ones are down to a white shirt and black pants), elegant decor, captains parties, room service, etc.

It is my firm belief and I just talked with a TA that concurrred, that the cruise lines will take out most if not all of the fancy (and expensive) amenities just as soon as they get the majority of cruisers comfortable with the 24/7 casulal dress attitude.

each time you say, "well I prefer dressing up but I don't care what others are wearing, you further push the standards down." Trust me, every cruise line monitors these boards very carefully and the more posters talk about tolerating and ejoying not following the suggested codes, the easier it will be for the lines to dispose of the goodies in the name of a total casual atmosphere.

Once they are gone, then cruising will no longer be special and we as a group will have done it to ourselves.

I am trying to figure out which thread is the best place to put the poll question - Which cruise line will be the first to replace individual full place settings of flatware in the formal dining room with the standard three pieces rolled in a napkin and stuffed in the water glass?

I totally agree! Those of us who like it to be a more upscale/luxurious experience had better start letting them know! Or, we need to start looking for other vacations/cruiselines where there are like minded people who don't just see this as THEIR vacation, but rather an entire upscale/luxurious experience for all guest, instead of cheapening the whole thing by dressing down. I am so sick of this attitude ("I'll wear what I want") that I could just puke.icon13.gif

I won't cruise ANY line that allows this to become the norm.(casual attire)

When there is suggested attire for dinner then I think that if you refuse to dress nicely at all (show up in shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, etc.) then yes, you are being rude because you are going against the attire that is suggested that you wear. Are you free to wear what you want? Certainly. But that does not make it OK because appropriate clothing is suggested for you and you are choosing to go against those suggestions.

If you are invited to a wedding and there is a suggested dress code then it would be rude to the bride and groom and those who hosted the wedding to not follow along the lines of the suggested wear for the wedding. It is the same with anything else: if there is suggested attire that is recommended that you follow and you do not follow along the lines of that suggestion close enough then you are being rude.

i answered "yes" - while "rude" may not be exactly the right word, "inconsiderate" or "inappropriate" definitely are.

the answer is for the cruise lines to simply clamp-down and refuse service if not dressed properly. yeah, it might take a little while - and impact tip revenue - for the message to get-out, but eventually people will comply.

p.s. i don't particularly enjoy dressing formally, but am willing to do so if that's the "suggested dress code"... if for no other reason than deference to my fellow passengers.

Going on our first cruise in about three weeks and wife and I both are looking forward to the formal night. ( she had a good excuse to go shopping ). I sure hope that it never gets to the point that there is no such thing.

If someone’s definition of formal is; dress shirt (no tie) and nice slacks, then they don’t know what the word formal means. And I’m not sure WHY someone would think that is formal.

And, if they think it is a business suit and tie, they don't either. :) That's not formalwear -- it's simply that most cruiselines have redefined suits and ties as appropriate for an event described as "formal."

So, it's easy to see why there is confusion about this.

Typically the host is supposed to pick attire for the night. In the case of the cruise the line you are traveling with is the host. They make it very clear what is expected to be worn on each night and provide alternatives for those that do not wish to meet those attire standards. So yes to show up to someone elses function without following their guidelines for attire is rude.

I think instead of the term Rude....I would us the term TACKY and if someone wants to be tacky, so be it, it doesn't ruin my cruise. I dress up so that I look great. If someone else wants to be tacky and dress in another manner, I really could care less. I am glad the cruise lines give us all an "opportunity" to dress glamorously in this day and age. It's one of the reasons we cruise.

In the case of the cruise the line you are traveling with is the host.

These are wonderful people who care for us on our cruise, and I appreciate what they add to the experience. But, they are not filling the role of host. They are providing the location (and only then, after we have paid for the services associated with that location.) They're free to use a required dress code, a suggested dress code or no dress code at all in their location.

But, until they are paying my fare...they're not hosting me. :)

• 6 months later...
But, they are not filling the role of host. They are providing the location (and only then, after we have paid for the services associated with that location.) They're free to use a required dress code, a suggested dress code or no dress code at all in their location.

But, until they are paying my fare...they're not hosting me.

Not sure what hosting and paying have anything to do with each other. :confused:

I have hosted many things, and have never paid for anyone. :confused: :confused:

Perhaps you should look up the word. No where does it even suggests the host pays. :confused: :confused:

I just read some of the posts here for the first time, and the family with the little girl who has cancer, that was great that she got the cruise and why I will never judge a book by it's cover so to speak.

Never know why or how the person go to do/be whatever.

If I would not have found this fashion board (which I enjoy very much), I would never have noticed what people really wore on the cruise any more on the cruise I went than I would in my normal everyday life, but that was my first cruise and I didn't even think about what other people might wear, other than what I will need (I went to Alaska, no formal nights only CCC) to bring for weather, and on ship etc.

We all come from such diverse backgrounds and locations that I can understand the interpretation by some of "dress-up" and especially casual.

No flames please as I'm not sayng what is right or wrong here, but I can see where someone from a small rural town would consider shorts and a t-shirt casual. To them that's what they probably wear when they go casual. Some people honestly probably don't know better. I know that may be hard for us to grasp, but on a ship where there are maybe 2000 people, coming from all over.

Same thing for the "host". To some people, "hosting" means paying. To my mom until I explained things to her years ago came from a culture and time where inviting someone out for lunch/dinner whatever meant that the person inviting picks up the check/pays. Now most of us know that if someone calls a friend and says "want to have lunch/dinner whatever" that we are not expected to pick up the check but in some cultures I suppose it's possible to think that way or maybe they were just raised that way by their parents who were raised that way. The world is getting smaller and closer and there are so many diverse cultures and backgrounds.

Even the word guest can be taken many ways. A guest in someone's home is certainly different than a guest in a hotel or Inn or whatever.

Personally, I do not see any type of venue such as a restaurant/hotel/cruise whatever as being the host. To be a host to me is someone who puts together a private affair and you have to be invited to it. Regardless of who pays.

No flames please, I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with dress codes, one thing has nothing to do with the other in my opinion. If a cruise line, restaurant or whatever says this is the dress code, that's one thing, but I still would not view them as a host.

Also if the cruise line makes an effort to do a nice job or whatever, I don't see that as them going out of their way. They are paid to do it. If a person employed by that line/place does something special for me or anyone in particular then that is different. If the cruise line does a big formal evening, then they are doing it because a) they want to, b) because people paid for them to do it and it is expected or they may not get any business or repeat business.

Keep in mind that this has nothing to do with how a person should dress. I do believe in following dress codes. I also think it is up to the venue that imposes those dress codes to ahere to them.

Keeping all that in mind, I think cruise lines need to tell everyone up front before they give the deposit, and that will affect TAs too, that if you take "cruise X", you will be expected to dress this way or you just can't go. How else can you inforce a dress code. If people paid their passage, and then get the final documentation saying "form attire required" and they don't want to wear it, can the cruise line really stop them from entering legally? That could leave them open to all kinds of law suits because would the cruise line give the money back to the people before sailing if when they received their final documentation after paying the full amount without refunds unless something major happens and they have the trip insurance.

I know personally that I was lucky I knew about "formal nights" for crusing. When I shopped around, no TA or cruise line told me, but before you book, you need to know the required dress code. They were all to willing to just sign me up. I could easily have signed up and paid and shown up without formal wear and then what, be refused entrance to a certain restaurant and told, no? I would have been royally pissed and perhaps even contacted an attorney when I returned.

This is not because I didn't care about fellow passengers or wanting to be rude, but for a person who really doesn't know.

Think about it, how many people come to this fashion board, 500? even 1,000 is not a lot if you take into account how many PAX one cruise ship can hold, now multiply that by the number of ships and lines.

It's easy to say everyone should know. But I honestly don't think it's the case. For someone going on their first carribean cruise say, I can see where someone might not know until final payment is made and then they just may not want to spend the bucks or be able to. Not everyone has the internet for e-bay shopping and not everyone has stores to go to to get bargains or even want to spend $50 or any amount on something they will never wear again so they feel that they can wear what they have because in all honestly if they were not told about it up front before paying with no refund in sight, what should they do? And is it then fair to say, you can't eat here because you don' have the right clothes.

I think the cruise lines and TAs need to be upfront with people booking cruises, and tell them what the dress code is and then enforce it. I think they need to tell them without being asked.

I will never forget Princess, my first call for my Alaska cruise, (I went on Radisson), they never said anything about formal, I had to ask, do you have formal for Alaska, and what happens if I don't wear formal. And even Radisson, they said, CCC, I had to ask what does that mean to you as it does have different meanings for different places/people/locations/cities etc etc.

No flames please, just my opinion.

What I find interesting is what I read about this fashion board on other threads. We're called fashionistas, something I would never consider callling myself. We're actually a group of people (mostly women) who enjoy the discussion of fashion, hair and beauty. We don't get easily insulted as many of the other boards do when discussing clothes (most of the time). I find it refreshing that we can come here and ask, give or comment on opinion without the threat of being "flamed" or "bashed" as so often happens on other boards.

There are times when we don't agree, but most of us know that's OK.

I've written a number of times how you might consider your clothes, to compare it to another type of event. Someone pointed out that you cannot do that, regional influence may be far different than what you are used to. It was an eye opener for me. I do realize what the suggestions mean, someone in a small town far from a city may have a completely different view than I do.

Bottom line, I always open the Fashion Board first when I come to Cruise Critic. I feel it is the safest place to express my opinion without getting my feelings hurt (not that I give a lot of weight to annonymous name calling !). I like all of Cruise Critic, but here is my favorite.

Re-reading this thread has made it so obvious to me, on the RCI, Carnival, especially Celebrity, Princess or any other dedicated cruiseline board, this thread would have gone south in the first day.

the best bet is to follow the rules and code of the ship.

I.E for Celebrity:

The options and requirements ARE clearly spelled out.

Unless you cannot read.

While I would not go so far to call people who do not follow the codes rude, I do think they are being disrespectful to both the cruiseline and the passengers onboard.

And NOT having the correct attire is no excuse.

If I were to show up at a bowling alley with out bowling shoes, and refused to rent them...I would NOT be allowed to bowl. :(

Three choices. 1. buy or borrow the correct attire.

2. rent the correct attire

3. choose an alternative venue.

There IS NO EXCUSE FOR IGNORANCE in this day and age. :mad:

You will need three types of clothing on your Celebrity cruise: casual shipboard attire or day wear, conservative port wear and eveningwear.

A gentleman's choice for casual nights includes a sport shirt and slacks, while women will be comfortable in a pants suit, skirt and blouse, or casual dress.

On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and tie, while women may want to wear a suit or dress.

For the formal nights, including the Captain's Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, dinner on the second night, and the Captain's Farewell Dinner held the next-to-last night of the cruise; both men and women may prefer more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men.

Celebrity Cruises has implemented a casual dining service on its five ships. Casual dining is offered most nights on every cruise, depending upon the itinerary, and is served in the Palm Springs Grill and pool area on the Mercury and at the Oasis Grill and pool area on the Galaxy. On the Horizon casual dining is offered in the Coral Seas Cafe and on the Zenith, in the Windsurf Cafe. On the Century casual dining is available in the Sky Bar. On our newest ships, casual dining is offered at the Seaside Grill and pool on the Constellation, the Oceanview Grill and pool area on the Infinity, the Ocean Grill on the Millennium and the Waterfall Grill on the Summit.

And while one poster tried to suggest that definitions can vary, these ARE spelled out clearly in what the ship EXPECTS of you as a passenger. There is no argument.

This information is not only available online, but via the brochures, and as a tearout from a TA. You can always call the line direct and ask them to fax or send something to you.

Dave:eek:

spacer.gif

I think it is rude to appear at the door of the dining room in shorts at night when everyone else is dressed formal. I noticed several times during the week that a few people waited until the Maitre d was no longer standing at the door and just walked over to their table and sat down. (Our table was right by the front door so we saw everyone that came and went) Also, several people entered the dining room to eat after the doors were closed. This made the waiters have to slow down on serving others to take their order.

I don't believe that will be a problem. If there are enough passengers demanding upscale elegance and traditional adherence to rules of formality, there will be a cruiseline that offers all that...at a price, of course.

Another factor, too, is the profit cruiselines make from formal night. Just think how much money they earn from the photos, the casinos and the lounges on formal nights. I don't think they would want to curtail such a fruitful revenue stream as formal nights provide them. They have every reason to maintain the tradition. I don't think formal nights are in any danger of extinction any time soon.

I don't believe that will be a problem. If there are enough passengers demanding upscale elegance and traditional adherence to rules of formality, there will be a cruiseline that offers all that...at a price, of course.

Another factor, too, is the profit cruiselines make from formal night. Just think how much money they earn from the photos, the casinos and the lounges on formal nights. I don't think they would want to curtail such a fruitful revenue stream as formal nights provide them. They have every reason to maintain the tradition. I don't think formal nights are in any danger of extinction any time soon.

resurrected this afternoon!:)

Heavy Surf,

I say Amen to what you have said. I can only hope that you are right. In my opinion it will be a very sad day when the cruise lines finally give in and eliminate the elegance and tradition of formal nights, For my husband and I these evenings are one of the primary reasons we take cruises.

I shudder to think that crusing will go the way of airline travel which used to be a special experience involving comfort, elegance and special service.Now air travel is reduced to the level of traveling on a city bus or subway.

I know, I am an incurable romantic. However, incurable romantics have rights too. I do not cruise for a fun in the sun, activity laden, high energy, port intensive experience. I cruise to relax, enjoy the sea and spend my days and nights in an elegant setting where I am pampered and feel special.

There are cruise lines that provide experiences for everyone. I just don't want to see them homogenized.

I was reading the Princess board yesterday and there was a thread on the cruise contract. According to the Princess cruise contract and probably every company's contract, one of the things we all agree to when we sail is to obey all of the rules and regulation set forth by the cruise line and the Captain. My first thought was, does this apply to the dress code? Any thoughts?

Linda

Archived