Need HELP = is this do able or are we joking?????

cjankowski

Hello my cruise friends. I need some HELP / advice to figure out if we can handle or do the following things or are we just kidding? Thought I had excursions picked out, but our son has changed his mind on what he wants to do & see. Please let me know your experiences or suggestions. Thanks to all comments.

We are in Juneau from 11 am – 8 pm on RCCL. June 7 – 14, 2013.

*** Mendenhall Glacier / Salmon Hatchery (2.5 hrs) Will we see anything this time of year??

*** Historic Gold Mining (1.5 hrs) OR

*** Historic Gold Mining & Salmon Bake (3.3 hrs)

The following are things that maybe we could fit in if extra time?

** Mount Roberts Tramway

** City / State Museums

In Skagway from 7 am – 8:30 pm.

*** We were just going to rent a car and drive. If you try to go to the lake do / will you still have time to look around town or do much of anything else?

Is it better to purchase tickets from the cruise line or can you purchase at dock? Can you get to any of these locations on your own?

Please let me know what / how you feel about doing these items?? I thought we were going to try to do a whale watch & dog sled tour, but that all changed.

We will be in Alaska the same week, only we will be southbound on Radiance.

***************** was recommended on the boards for the drive from Skagway. The author was a tourbus driver for 17 years in Alaska and made that same drive daily thru cruise season. He points out in the guide everything there is to see, stop or look for by each mile marker along the route.

The South Klondike Highway from Skagway to Carcross is 98 miles. From what I've read there should be no problem doing it during the time in port. We've actually been in Skagway before and did the Tour Bus up and the train back last time. So we've rented a car this time and plan to make lots of stops along the way and are hoping to see some wildlife. There is a suspension bridge along the route where we'll stop. Hoping to get lots a fabulous pictures along the way too. We're in port in Skagway from 7am-8:30pm.

For Juneau we've also rented a car and I have somewhere at home an itinerary that I found here on CC with lots of ideas of where to go and things to see for a full day. We are in port from 9-9 so should have plenty of time to see a lot!

Sorry apparently I can't post the website. But there is a man named Murray if you google for his name and guide to Klondike Hwy you will find his website where you can purchase the PDF guide for $5.

I'll try to remember to look when I get home & post the itinerary for Juneau if I can find it quickly.

Another great thing Murray offers is a guided audio tour available through Amazon. It's on a downloadable CD by Trapper Dan called Bear Essentials. You can download it to your iPod, iPad thru iTunes also. It cost $8.99 - way less than a private tour or chartered tour thru the cruise line!

This will make our driving tour the best of both worlds with a commentary by an experienced Alaska guide while still being able to do the drive on our own schedule.

His website says to allow 5 hours for the drive to Emerald Lake and back. That will allow you to still have time to see Skagway during your port visit.

The audio guide also includes Geo Cache locations if that is something that you or your son is in to. We've never done it before but may have to give it a try this time. We always see people or have tour guides point out folks who are geo caching.

According to the guide these are the available places to eat:

Restaurants:

- The Yukon Suspension Bridge at Km 47.4 has a restaurant.

- Downtown Carcross (turn at Km 105.6) – the new (June 2012) Chilkoot Trail

Authentic Sourdough Bakery has awesome home-made soup, sandwiches and sweets such as pies, cinnamon buns and scones. The new (June 2012) Caribou Cafe specializes in German layer cake and coffee.

- Caribou Crossing (Km 108.6) – chicken barbecue

- Spirit Lake Lodge (Km 115.4) – soup-and-sandwiches, burgers, etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi

Can you tell me which Avis office you called? I have tried 2. First one I called said she only is doing it during the winter months, then hung up on me :( Second one I called phone did not work.

Wondering if you can give me # or location.

Here is the info I cut & pasted from our confirmation email from Avis:

Base Rate: 0 day(s) , 11 hour(s)113.00 USD

Taxes & Surcharges:16.95 USD

Surcharge$0.00 per Day.

Tax (15.000 %) 16.95 USD

Mileage:Unlimited

Base Rate and Charges 129.95 USD Estimated Total 129.95 USD

Notes:

Your rate was calculated based on the information provided. Some modifications may change this rate.

YOUR TIME & PLACE

Modifying time or place will require reselection of car class and options.

Pick-up Information

Monday, June 10, 2013 @ 08:00 AM

Sergeant Prestons Lodge, Skagway, AK8

370 6th Avenue, Skagway, AK8 AK US

(99840 ) (1) 907-983-2247

Sun 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Sat 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Return Information

Monday, June 10, 2013 @ 07:00 PM

Sergeant Prestons Lodge, Skagway, AK8

370 6th Avenue, Skagway, AK8 AK US

(99840 ) (1) 907-983-2247

Sun 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Sat 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

I booked with Avis thru their online website. This full sizes car was a little pricey but we're sharing with some friends so that makes it more affordable. Even by ourselves its still worth it to us to be on our own & not herded on & off a tour bus & waiting in people who can never follow the rules about being on time.

There is only one gas station in Skagway to refuel.

The rental in Juneau we did thru Juneau Car Rentals & it was only $63.25 for the day for a full size car.

I just called their 800# to verify because when I checked online showed a different address than my confirmation. She sent me a new confirmation which shows the new address:

Pick-Up / Drop-Off - AK8

Mon, Jun 10, 2013 08:00 AM -

Mon, Jun 10, 2013 07:00 PM

Skagway

3rd Ave & Spring St

SKAGWAY, AK 99840 US

hours Sun 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM; Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM; Sat 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

phone (1) 907-983-2247

I just called their 800# to verify because when I checked online showed a different address than my confirmation. She sent me a new confirmation which shows the new address:

Pick-Up / Drop-Off - AK8

Mon, Jun 10, 2013 08:00 AM -

Mon, Jun 10, 2013 07:00 PM

Skagway

3rd Ave & Spring St

SKAGWAY, AK 99840 US

hours Sun 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM; Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM; Sat 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

phone (1) 907-983-2247

This has been their general location for years. New, is they opened year round, reason for the alternative address. They used to be open only seasonally.

Not sure if you are posting from first hand information, but, it's worthwhile to send an early riser to pick up the car. Then there is plenty of parking if needed, if anyone wants a later start. BUT there are always early morning lines for car pick ups, and most always, cars are sold out, with people seeming to think they can get walk up. Last year they were "releasing" cars not picked up. The person ahead of me, put his name on the "list", and there were probably already 3-4 names. I was in line 7:45a.

Hello my cruise friends. I need some HELP / advice to figure out if we can handle or do the following things or are we just kidding? Thought I had excursions picked out, but our son has changed his mind on what he wants to do & see. Please let me know your experiences or suggestions. Thanks to all comments.

We are in Juneau from 11 am – 8 pm on RCCL. June 7 – 14, 2013.

*** Mendenhall Glacier / Salmon Hatchery (2.5 hrs) Will we see anything this time of year??

*** Historic Gold Mining (1.5 hrs) OR

*** Historic Gold Mining & Salmon Bake (3.3 hrs)

The following are things that maybe we could fit in if extra time?

** Mount Roberts Tramway

** City / State Museums

In Skagway from 7 am – 8:30 pm.

*** We were just going to rent a car and drive. If you try to go to the lake do / will you still have time to look around town or do much of anything else?

Is it better to purchase tickets from the cruise line or can you purchase at dock? Can you get to any of these locations on your own?

Please let me know what / how you feel about doing these items?? I thought we were going to try to do a whale watch & dog sled tour, but that all changed.

Figure out your entire itinerary, before you start making reservations. Timing is everything in Alaska.

Juneau, the two museums and tram are walk ups, add them if you have time.

It depends what YOUR interests are? Many people enjoy the salmon bake which does have good food. Again, you can purchase this at the dock, so you may also want to leave this open. IF you want to see Mendenhall, simple is to just take the shuttle bus, spend the time you wish, and return. The Hatchery is small. Better, if you have the interest in both , would be to just get a car rental. Then you can add other stops of interest.

Skagway, the round trip Emerald Lake Klondike Highway drive, needs 5 hours, so very doable to see, small Skagway as well. It may be of benefit to get a later road trip, and head to the Park Service visitor center for a walking tour, if of interest. Stop on your way at the Gold Rush Cemetery.

Reserve the car NOW.

This has been their general location for years. New, is they opened year round, reason for the alternative address. They used to be open only seasonally.

Not sure if you are posting from first hand information, but, it's worthwhile to send an early riser to pick up the car. Then there is plenty of parking if needed, if anyone wants a later start. BUT there are always early morning lines for car pick ups, and most always, cars are sold out, with people seeming to think they can get walk up. Last year they were "releasing" cars not picked up. The person ahead of me, put his name on the "list", and there were probably already 3-4 names. I was in line 7:45a.

Last year when we were there, they were turning away walk-ups, telling them they had nothing available. We also showed up around 7:45 and there were already several people in line ahead of us.

Last year when we were there, they were turning away walk-ups, telling them they had nothing available. We also showed up around 7:45 and there were already several people in line ahead of us.

I am not claiming any walk ups are available. I would certainly consider they would NOT be. I've told people looking, to run down to Sourdough, giving them the address, a little more possibility.

But I'm sure AVIS does get some no shows, since no deposits are required- they should.

Figure out your entire itinerary, before you start making reservations. Timing is everything in Alaska.

Juneau, the two museums and tram are walk ups, add them if you have time.

It depends what YOUR interests are? Many people enjoy the salmon bake which does have good food. Again, you can purchase this at the dock, so you may also want to leave this open. IF you want to see Mendenhall, simple is to just take the shuttle bus, spend the time you wish, and return. The Hatchery is small. Better, if you have the interest in both , would be to just get a car rental. Then you can add other stops of interest.

Skagway, the round trip Emerald Lake Klondike Highway drive, needs 5 hours, so very doable to see, small Skagway as well. It may be of benefit to get a later road trip, and head to the Park Service visitor center for a walking tour, if of interest. Stop on your way at the Gold Rush Cemetery.

Reserve the car NOW.

Budget Queen,

From what I am reading here. It is possible to do the Glacier, Hatchery, Salmon Bake all on our own by renting a car??

Is it possible for a person with walking issues to use a walker/scooter to get to all locations?

I do have a car reserved know in Skagway, but wondering if we should also do this in Juneau as well and just travel around on our own. We do like to do this and it would be okay as long as we can hit the places son/husband want to visit.

Thanks for your great advice / help. Please let me know any other suggestions.

Budget Queen,

From what I am reading here. It is possible to do the Glacier, Hatchery, Salmon Bake all on our own by renting a car??

Is it possible for a person with walking issues to use a walker/scooter to get to all locations?

I do have a car reserved know in Skagway, but wondering if we should also do this in Juneau as well and just travel around on our own. We do like to do this and it would be okay as long as we can hit the places son/husband want to visit.

Thanks for your great advice / help. Please let me know any other suggestions.

I already commented about Mendenhall with a scooter. The Hatchery has a salmon ladder, that does have decent viewing. Salmon bake isn't a problem.

Can a person drive to the Hisotric Gold Panning / Fish Bake direct? OR do you need to purchase this as a tour either from ship or dock area?

I am just not finding alot of infor that works or looks like we can do own our own time. So before I make a bunch of reservations / time slots for things I just was wondering if someone could help me out.

Can a person drive to the Hisotric Gold Panning / Fish Bake direct? OR do you need to purchase this as a tour either from ship or dock area?

I am just not finding alot of infor that works or looks like we can do own our own time. So before I make a bunch of reservations / time slots for things I just was wondering if someone could help me out.

You do not have any "time slots" if you purchase the tickets on the dock. They run a continuous loop shuttle bus.

It is an open area, and way less than ideal in cooler, rainy weather. Wait until you get there to decide.

You would need to contact them directly and inquire, if they are allowing drive ups?

You do not have any "time slots" if you purchase the tickets on the dock. They run a continuous loop shuttle bus.

It is an open area, and way less than ideal in cooler, rainy weather. Wait until you get there to decide.

You would need to contact them directly and inquire, if they are allowing drive ups?

So you can wait and purchase tickets at the dock for the Historic Gold Mining and Panning and it will include the shuttle? Do you know where to find the price for this? Do they frequently sell out? This would give me the flexibility to complete our whale watching tour in the morning and have the ability to get lunch and then catch a shuttle without worrying about running late to a second excursion.

So you can wait and purchase tickets at the dock for the Historic Gold Mining and Panning and it will include the shuttle? Do you know where to find the price for this? Do they frequently sell out? This would give me the flexibility to complete our whale watching tour in the morning and have the ability to get lunch and then catch a shuttle without worrying about running late to a second excursion.

I am referring to the gold panning with the salmon bake, which is Gold Creek. Are you referring to another area, specific tour you are reading?

Archived