Has anyone had landsickness of MdDS post cruise? How long did it last?

topgallent

Hello Everyone.

I am a 33 year old female and several years ago in June July of 2007, I went on a week long cruise around the Hawaiian Islands. The last night was especially rocky and our cabin was near the front of the ship. After disembarking I experienced what I think was MdDS for several weeks, I believe it was just under a month's time, before the symptoms went away. If you are not familiar with what MdDS is, it's the sensation of being on the boat when you are on land that is usually only alleviated by movement in a car or boat (something like that) and for some can last years. There is no cure but many go into remission where they feel normal again. There is little research on it so there is no way of knowing if one is in the high risk group to have dizziness for a long time or just for a few weeks, as far as I have found. I have done some questioning among support groups for MdDS but their group is biased of course, towards encouraging me never to cruise again. Maybe this group, as a group of repeat cruisers, has a different point of view.

After that episode I did go on one overnight ferry and several small ferries over theyears but never had a recurrence.

I have been invited on a 14 day cruise around the Mediterranean leaving on April21 of this year and I have been posting and sending emails looking forinformation on whether it is too risky for me to travel again.

Questions I have been asking include: If you have MdDS did you have a smaller episode before the larger episode from which you currently suffer or do you always suffer episodic symptoms which pass? Do you prevent your symptoms with any means successfully? Do you think it matters how calm or rocky the sea is and was the cruise that affected you the on the Med at all? Do you think it's possible for someone to experience the symptoms once and never again, even if they do other cruising? Do you think it's too risky to endeavor to go on the cruise? Is it rare for episode to be long lasting or do typically the episodes remain short as

mine did?

Thanks so much and I hope these aren't too many questions. As it stands I'm leaning against going on the cruise but it's quite a shame as it would be a lovely experience if I remained well.

btw this cruise critic account belongs to my father who loves to cruise.

Oh, that happens all the time, by most people who cruise, to one extent or another. I still get that after my cruises and it generally lasts me about a week. The best way to combat that is to book another cruise:D

Hello Everyone.

Do you prevent your symptoms with any means successfully? Do you think it's possible for someone to experience the symptoms once and never again, even if they do other cruising? Do you think it's too risky to endeavor to go on the cruise?

Thanks so much and I hope these aren't too many questions. As it stands I'm leaning against going on the cruise but it's quite a shame as it would be a lovely experience if I remained well.

For me it usually lasts 3 weeks no matter the length of the cruise. I do take bonine after my cruise to help me function at work.

My friend had one episode of it and it never happened again.

IMO it's never too risky to not cruise. I just know it is something I have to deal with when I get home. Weighing the fact that very few have symptoms long term helps me to keep balanced in that opinion.

Happy Cruising!!

It depends - how badly were you affected last time? I had a coworker who was so sick she couldn't walk or drive. She missed several weeks of work after a one week cruise. I don't think you could drag her on another cruise.

I always get a mild case that lasts about a month. It has been no worse after the first cruise of 7 days or the fifth one that was 12. I get it after going out in a small fishing boat too, so when we had our own boat I spent many summers feeling like I was on a boat. You get used to it.

Hi,

I've had Mal de debarquement a few times. The longer it lasted was 6 weeks. I've noticed a few similarities when it occured:

• 7 days cruises are the worst: So we only do 12 nights or more :D
  • If I'm very tired before embarking: the MDD is worst and lasts longer getting back home
  • I always have a few days of MDD (2 to 3) but this time, after a 15 days cruise in Asia: NOTHING (probably the 21 hours flights helped a lot :eek::D

Better a bad day with MDD "after" cruising than a good day without MDD at work !!

I too suffer from Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (also known as "dock rock"). For me, it's not about the length of the cruise -- but the "motion of the ocean" experienced during the cruise. I tend not to get seasick, but a cruise with rough seas makes my life miserable when I hit dry land. I'm one of the few people I know who has to take Bonine AFTER the cruise! :eek:

Of course, my DH says it's just because I'm a dizzy blonde..... :p

I had a pretty strong case of MdDS (I refer to it as "debarkation vertigo") after my past cruise. The sea was choppy for a part of the cruise, enough to make walking feel weird and cause water in the hot tubs to slosh around. It took me by surprise, because I got motion sickness twice in my whole life. All I knew is that I felt a strange sensation (no relation to the ship :D) in my head whenever I sat down and relaxed. I was sitting still, obviously, but in my head, it felt like I was on a kayak tossed around by waves. I was knocking things over, had to hold on to walls when standing, and had trouble typing.

Falling asleep the first night back was nice, though. It felt like I was still cruising, and during the cruise, being rocked to sleep by the ship had me out within five minutes. The vertigo was bad at first, then faded out over the next four days or so. The first day back at work, I still felt it a little bit, which made for very nice daydreaming :D. What was really interesting is that I had no vertigo whatsoever in ports of call. Probably because it takes time for it to set in. Or maybe because I was on the move the whole time in ports, and not just sitting around idly like I did in the airport.

I've had it for up to a few weeks after the trip. The more you go back and forth between land and sea, the more your body (and brain) will be able to adjust.

I enjoy the feeling, as it reminds me of great times.

My first cruise was on the Carnival Ecstasy for 5 nights. I lost my equilibrium the moment I set foot on the ship and the MdDS lasted 6 weeks after. I was fine when perfectly still but had to hang onto furniture or people to get around. There was no nausea either on the ship or after getting off. Just the vertigo. I am sailing again April 29th for 5 nights on the Carnival Elation and yes I am scared stiff but there is no vacation like a cruise so I am going to try again. Wish me luck and I wish the same for you. By the way-I blame my sinus and ear problems. I have unrelenting allergies and constant problems with my sinuses and my ears (fullness, popping, tinnitus, etc) I can get dizzy just whipping my head around to see what my Granddaughter is up to! It would be interesting to know how many other allergy sufferers have MdDS.

This is all interesting stuff, because some people suffer for years and it never goes away! In the scientific community it's taken pretty seriously. If you have dizziness for a few days after a cruise it's not MdDS but for weeks it may be... it is supposed to not respond to typical sea-sickness medications. I believe I tried sea sickness medications at the time and it didn't help.

"

Treatment for Mal de Debarquement

After the MDD has started, most medications that work for other forms of dizziness or motion sickness are ineffective. Specifically, antivert, bonine, meclizine, dramamine, scopolamine seem to be of little use. Valium and related medications such as Klonapin are helpful in some persons. There is some worry that these medications may prolong the duration of symptoms (although this worry has not yet been tested by a research study). An antidepressant called amitriptyline may also be helpful. Occasionally persons with rocking due to other causes respond to one of the SSRI type antidepressants, and this may also be worth considering. Hormonal medications such as estrogen or progesterone might be problematic -- it might be worth a trial of stopping them if this is practical. Recently (11/2001) we have been told that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as "Celebrex" or "Vioxx" have helped two patients. Also anecdotally, phenytoin and carbamazepine (or oxy-carbamazepine) may be useful in reducing symptoms. A controlled trial of these medications may be in order if more evidence accumulates."

Hello Everyone.

I am a 33 year old female and several years ago in June July of 2007, I went on a week long cruise around the Hawaiian Islands. The last night was especially rocky and our cabin was near the front of the ship. After disembarking I experienced what I think was MdDS for several weeks, I believe it was just under a month's time, before the symptoms went away. If you are not familiar with what MdDS is, it's the sensation of being on the boat when you are on land that is usually only alleviated by movement in a car or boat (something like that) and for some can last years. There is no cure but many go into remission where they feel normal again. There is little research on it so there is no way of knowing if one is in the high risk group to have dizziness for a long time or just for a few weeks, as far as I have found. I have done some questioning among support groups for MdDS but their group is biased of course, towards encouraging me never to cruise again. Maybe this group, as a group of repeat cruisers, has a different point of view.

So that you know it isn't MdDS if it's just a few days, or if it's relieved by typical drugs used for seasickness like Bonine. Specifically, antivert, bonine, meclizine, dramamine, scopolamine seem to be of little use. Valium and related medications such as Klonapin are helpful in some persons. If what you had responds to that it is not MdDS. Also, you would feel great on the boat but then sick after the boat...not both. MdDS will feel better if you're in a car or on another boat. You feel like you're still on the boat, basically.

After that episode I did go on one overnight ferry and several small ferries over theyears but never had a recurrence.

I have been invited on a 14 day cruise around the Mediterranean leaving on April21 of this year and I have been posting and sending emails looking forinformation on whether it is too risky for me to travel again.

Questions I have been asking include: If you have MdDS did you have a smaller episode before the larger episode from which you currently suffer or do you always suffer episodic symptoms which pass? Do you prevent your symptoms with any means successfully? Do you think it matters how calm or rocky the sea is and was the cruise that affected you the on the Med at all? Do you think it's possible for someone to experience the symptoms once and never again, even if they do other cruising? Do you think it's too risky to endeavor to go on the cruise? Is it rare for episode to be long lasting or do typically the episodes remain short as

mine did?

btw this cruise critic account belongs to my father who loves to cruise.

Yes, both the DW and I have had it. Longest was about a week. No real pattern as to when it will hit. Quite common for us to feel it the first day. Usually, that's it. No, it has not gotten worse. We have cruised over 30 times. For some reason, we never have it in port, just after getting home. Maybe we are missing being on a cruise:o

I've had a pretty good "rough cruise" streak going, I normally carry the motion for a couple of weeks afterwards. I notice it the most when I lay down or when I have my feet off the ground (sitting at a high top table or a bar).

I drive, so if I cruise out of Florida, I normally drop off in Orlando for a couple of days before driving back to the NYC area, as it can be a bit of a PITA driving long distances (and getting tired ) for me right after getting on a boat.

I usually cruise in the Caribbean and my land seasickness amounts to very little. A few times I will stumble as I walk or else while sitting feel like I am moving with the boat. It is not that bad.

My sister loves the wristbands and swears by them along with non-drowsy dramamine.

Don' worry!

I tend to have land sickness and I o rock a lot for a few days after each cruise . I have also had Meunieres syndome a few times ...horrible experience ..feel like you are falling off the earth

gravol did help a bit with the nausea ...time made all better

med is usually more easy going than Atlantic esp in summer ...not to sure about Spring

That being said I still cruise ...still love it ....if you feel up to it go for it

Each time it isnot as strong when I get. BAck ...i guess iM getting sea legs !!!

Michele

I've been on 8 cruises, all to the Caribbean. I've had mal de debarquement syndrome (MdDS) after each cruise, sometimes mild, sometimes not so mild.

I have never (knock wood) had seasickness, and we were in 13-foot seas on one cruise--enough so that they were hanging barf bags near the elevators. I was fine until we got home. As usual, once back from the cruise, whenever I would sit or stand still, it would feel just as if I were still on the ship. During these episodes, when I look out a window in my house, it feels as if the trees outside are moving (or rather that the house is moving past the trees). I also notice it when I'm standing at the bathroom sink, like when brushing my teeth, etc., but, really anytime I'm still, I have a rocking/moving sensation.

It's very odd, and it affects me enough that I do not plan anything for a day or two after a cruise. If the cruise ends on a Sunday, I always take that Monday off as part of my vacation time. The symptoms usually resolve within a week to 10 days, steadily decreasing day by day until one day they're gone. I had no idea what it was the first time but then did a little research.

I love cruising so much that I just try not to think about it, and I keep hoping that one day it won't happen, but so far it has happened after each cruise. My last cruise was in December, and it was the same-old same-old when I got home. The seas were calm for the entire cruise, but the symptoms once back on land were worse than the time before, so I just never know. It's like my brain adapts readily to the movement of the ship to protect me from seasickness but then can't let go of the protective mechanism once I'm back on dry land. I'm going again in 2 weeks, so we will see. Meds never help. The only thing that helps for me is time.

Only you can decide whether you want to cruise again. Good luck!

Oh, one more thing--and I have no idea whether this would have any effect on the syndrome or not--but I have never taken seasickness meds while on a cruise (because I've never needed them), and I have toyed with the idea of trying Bonine, etc., during the cruise just to see if it would have any beneficial effect once back on land. I know they don't work once you have MdDS, but I'm just wondering if they might help prevent it or at least lessen the severity. I'm super sensitive to most medications, though, so I haven't tried this yet.

Yes, definitely. Not every cruise. One time it took about three weeks to go away. The first week was the worst. It was worse if I sat down, worse if I looked at a computer or TV screen. A few times I felt as thugh I was falling out of my chair and had to grab the table. I get it if it's a rougher cruise and I have a forward cabin. I have never experienced it in port so it probably takes 24 hours to kick in. Definitely annoying and worrisome if you don't know what it is. It does go away and it's far, far better than being seasick.

I had the same symptoms you described once after a seven day cruise in the Caribbean. We have been on much longer voyages including a transatlantic crossing ( with a hurricane in the Mediterranean) and never encountered that feeling again. The feeling lasted over a week and finally went away. The sailing was in quite calm seas so it is a mystery as to why it appeared. After about ten days the symptoms disappeared. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Many many years ago, when our children were younger, we owned a 26 foot sailboat and I got it often after we disembarked after only a few hours on the boat. It lasted a day. I also got it once after a cruise and then it lasted for about three days.

I get "cruise flashbacks" once in a while. Just a short sense of rocking motion.

This winter, we took the train home from Florida. The one downside to the Vistaliner bedrooms is that they're over the wheels, which means you feel all the bumps and vibrations. I felt the vibrations of the train on and off the day after we got home. It's the first time that I've had a "train flashback."

Archived