One Day Stop in NYC... What to Do? ? ?

CruisinLow

Am taking a Princess cruise from Quebec to FLL in October/November. We have about 8 hours in NYC and will be berthed at the pier in Brooklyn. Want to try to get the Gray Line double decker bus for a Hop-On, Hop-off tour of uptown and downtown Manhattan. Any suggestions? What is the closest location to get to for the Gray Line tours from the Red Hook area of Brooklyn? Would appreciate any advise you can give.

I wouldn't want to spend my only day in NYC on a bus stuck in traffic--but that's just me.

I'd rather get a guide book from the library and plan my own day, so I could see exactly what most appealed to me.

I wouldn't want to spend my only day in NYC on a bus stuck in traffic--but that's just me.

I'd rather get a guide book from the library and plan my own day, so I could see exactly what most appealed to me.

Good point but the Gray Lines do not really get stuck in traffic and believe it or not, you can see every major sight in NYC in less than 8 hours. Their tickets are great because if you have a day or 48 hour pass, you do not even have to take cabs from one place to another if the location is close to one of their Hop-on, Hop-Off stops.

I know we cannot visit each stop but the group I am with just want to see all the exteriors that they have seen on TV and in movies.

http://www.newyorksightseeing.com/article.php?id=710

the closest one to the Brooklyn cruise terminal is the park row one. The closest subway stop to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal is at smith and 9th street(which is about to reopen next week) which is about a mile from the pier.

Since your time is short I would call a local car service Arecibo(7187836465) which should take about 10 minutes to get to the car service pick up area in the pier. It should be about a $20-25 ride per car to park row. If they use the BBT(toll) it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes even during rush hour.

by the Brooklyn Bridge with no traffic it should be about the same with no traffic...with traffic the BBT will be faster. BTW I would tell the cab/car service I was going to City Hall. J and R where this is is right behind it.

I don't like the HOHO bus either but if you are just staying on and taking a loop I am sure that will be fine.

http://www.newyorksightseeing.com/article.php?id=710

the closest one to the Brooklyn cruise terminal is the park row one. The closest subway stop to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal is at smith and 9th street(which is about to reopen next week) which is about a mile from the pier.

Since your time is short I would call a local car service Arecibo(7187836465) which should take about 10 minutes to get to the car service pick up area in the pier. It should be about a $20-25 ride per car to park row. If they use the BBT(toll) it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes even during rush hour.

by the Brooklyn Bridge with no traffic it should be about the same with no traffic...with traffic the BBT will be faster. BTW I would tell the cab/car service I was going to City Hall. J and R where this is is right behind it.

I don't like the HOHO bus either but if you are just staying on and taking a loop I am sure that will be fine.

Thank you so much for all this info about a car service. i have about 20 people who I need to shuffle around to get to the location to get the HOHO bus. And yes, that was our goal to stay on the bus and just do the loops around the whole island if possible.

I will check into the service. Appreciate it.

While the HoHo buses do have routes that go thru Brooklyn on tours they do not drop off or pick up passengers in Brooklyn from what I recall. Just wanted to point that out.

And that was pretty much the information that I had gotten. We have to get over to Manhattan to even start the HOHO bus. Cannot catch it anywhere near the Red Hook area. Thank you for the confirmation on the point.

I would skip all of those bus tours and do a free tour by foot!! They are excellent and FREE. You just tip your tour guide what you feel they earned.

http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours

We did one a couple of weekends ago before our cruise on the Explorer of the Seas.

Appreciate the link. This may be a good option for some of the people in my group but most will not be able to walk for any length of time. Thanks

Thank you so much for all this info about a car service. i have about 20 people who I need to shuffle around to get to the location to get the HOHO bus. And yes' date=' that was our goal to stay on the bus and just do the loops around the whole island if possible.

I will check into the service. Appreciate it.[/size']

with 20 people you might want to call the Bus company and ask. The tickets aren't cheap and for that many people they might arrange a private bus for not much more and possibly less...and you won't have to deal with any car service...

http://www.newyorksightseeing.com/quote.php

OP--just keep in mind your 8 hrs there also has to include your transportation to get to the HOHO bus and get back to the ship at the designated time before departure.

Honestly, as a visitor to NYC (many times), I would not even try to do a HOHO tour with only this little bit of time. Things do happen with buses there. On our last trip there (Christmas), our bus (we did a Holiday Lights tour), broke down before we even left the parking spot and we had to wait 1 hr & 15 min for a new bus to come get us.

Eight hours is not even close to being enough time to see the sights in NYC. You will spend the majority of that time in traffic getting from one sight to another. You mentioned you will get to see very major sight in NYC on this HOHO bus. There is no way you will get to see every sight. Some of which you won't even get to see at all from the bus (9/11 Memorial being one of those).

Hopping on a HOHO bus is way too risky for me in this situation, but if it's something you really want to do, then go for it. I sincerely hope it goes well and you do not run into any issues. :)

OP--just keep in mind your 8 hrs there also has to include your transportation to get to the HOHO bus and get back to the ship at the designated time before departure.

Honestly, as a visitor to NYC (many times), I would not even try to do a HOHO tour with only this little bit of time. Things do happen with buses there. On our last trip there (Christmas), our bus (we did a Holiday Lights tour), broke down before we even left the parking spot and we had to wait 1 hr & 15 min for a new bus to come get us.

Eight hours is not even close to being enough time to see the sights in NYC. You will spend the majority of that time in traffic getting from one sight to another. You mentioned you will get to see very major sight in NYC on this HOHO bus. There is no way you will get to see every sight. Some of which you won't even get to see at all from the bus (9/11 Memorial being one of those).

Hopping on a HOHO bus is way too risky for me in this situation, but if it's something you really want to do, then go for it. I sincerely hope it goes well and you do not run into any issues. :)

Thanks for all this info. If we stayed on the bus and just took the 2 loops around and never got off, do you think we would have enough time? Thanks

Ann - I vote for trying to set up a private tour for your group of 20 people that will pick up your group at the pier in Brooklyn and will deliver you all back there. You can customize it for your group to ensure you see all the sights and have lunch and adequate restroom stops (or a facility on the bus).

Unfortunately on this board we don't have a lot of experience with folks who have just 8 hours as a cruise stop in NY. Most folks are in the city pre or post cruise. However, I have to believe you can set something up. I'm doing a European TA at the end of the summer and full day trip private tours were arranged over a year ahead in the cities we will visit.

I'd really think long and hard before I'd try to ferry a group of 20 to hook up with a Hoho bus and be responsible for getting them all back to the ship on time.

Ann - I vote for trying to set up a private tour for your group of 20 people that will pick up your group at the pier in Brooklyn and will deliver you all back there. You can customize it for your group to ensure you see all the sights and have lunch and adequate restroom stops (or a facility on the bus).

Unfortunately on this board we don't have a lot of experience with folks who have just 8 hours as a cruise stop in NY. Most folks are in the city pre or post cruise. However, I have to believe you can set something up. I'm doing a European TA at the end of the summer and full day trip private tours were arranged over a year ahead in the cities we will visit.

I'd really think long and hard before I'd try to ferry a group of 20 to hook up with a Hoho bus and be responsible for getting them all back to the ship on time.

Really appreciate your input. It is all very valuable information. Cruise Critic folks are the best.

Perhaps someone can recommend a reputable tour company who can customize a tour for you. If I google New York private bus tours quite a number of companies come up. You can then look for reviews of these companies.

Perhaps someone can recommend a reputable tour company who can customize a tour for you. If I google New York private bus tours quite a number of companies come up. You can then look for reviews of these companies.

I was looking into this for our next NYC visit. They have other tours and private tours available.

http://www.onboardnewyorktours.com/nyc-freedom-tour/?gclid=CK3GjOTB37UCFUhV4AodLyUAFg

Thanks to both of you and I will look for private tour companies. Great ideas.

Thanks for all this info. If we stayed on the bus and just took the 2 loops around and never got off' date=' do you think we would have enough time? Thanks[/quote']

Yes, I do think you would, but just make sure you have enough time after you make the loops to get back to your ship.

Not getting off would be a good idea, because, many times those buses are already full when they come around to your stop and sometimes you can't get on that particular one and have to wait for the next one.

I was looking into this for our next NYC visit. They have other tours and private tours available.

http://www.onboardnewyorktours.com/nyc-freedom-tour/?gclid=CK3GjOTB37UCFUhV4AodLyUAFg

Ah, my heart sank when I saw this!:eek:

This is the tour company we used and I ended up getting a refund, filing complaints with the BBB and Attorney General. I did a review of them on Trip Advisor as well. (They have an "F" rating with the BBB in NY)

They had other negative reviews on TA, but I really liked the tour they offered and figured we would take the chance. Unfortunately, what happened to other tourists, happened to us too.

This is the company that I was referring to in my prior post on this board about the bus breaking down and waiting for another one. That was the 2nd tour we took with this company (all paid for in advance or we would not have take the 2nd tour after getting ripped off on our 1st one).

Ah, my heart sank when I saw this!:eek:

This is the tour company we used and I ended up getting a refund, filing complaints with the BBB and Attorney General. I did a review of them on Trip Advisor as well. (They have an "F" rating with the BBB in NY)

They had other negative reviews on TA, but I really liked the tour they offered and figured we would take the chance. Unfortunately, what happened to other tourists, happened to us too.

This is the company that I was referring to in my prior post on this board about the bus breaking down and waiting for another one. That was the 2nd tour we took with this company (all paid for in advance or we would not have take the 2nd tour after getting ripped off on our 1st one).

OMG So happy that I did not check into them yet. Sounds like they are to be avoided and I for sure will do that. Appreciate you sharing this.

You're much welcome!

Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful time in NYC! One of our most favorite cities in the world!!:)

I love NYC too for a visit. Do not think I would like to live ther but it is a great vibrant City

Archived